• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter Works

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well guy's its that time of year again, we are starting to put the plow gear on the equipment now, working on my 150AWD getting things put back on for snow removal, wing tower and wing going on next week, our winter works starts on Dec 4, my machine has worked great all summer and fall, looking forward to the change, they say a change is as good as a rest.

20/80

Occupation
operator
We got 3" of wet snow last night. Temp at 31F at noon now. What a mess for gravel roads.......
There is snow to the north of me, 6-8", nothing but a few flurries here in the evenings, no amount of cold weather here yet either, it has been a beautiful fall, hoping the ground freezes up before any snow comes, probably not.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
There is snow to the north of me, 6-8", nothing but a few flurries here in the evenings, no amount of cold weather here yet either, it has been a beautiful fall, hoping the ground freezes up before any snow comes, probably not.
Unusually, we are already developing ice at the shorelines of our ponds. We're going to spend the majority of November below freezing at night. That's very unusual. I'm expecting more snow than normal simply because of our lower than normal temps. This weather pattern that moved thru yesterday and today should have been rain.

I'm going to test fit my chains Thursday. I think I need to remove a crossbar and latch them a link tighter than the last time I used them. Based on more tire wear, chain wear and the fact that I ran them looser than I prefer last time I had them on.

Hoping I won't use them. But just in case, I want to be ready.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Gonna be Sunday before we get any sunshine and/or temps above freezing. Are getting a little wind today so hopefully will knock the snow off the standing corn.

20221116_083701.jpg

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We got some this afternoon. Raining now, Hope it stays that way. Big panic around the shop today. WE are still doing dirt work. I plowed the snow off a driveway today so they could pave it. Last one for the season. Plant is shut down.. Still crushing, so some of the loaders are still busy. Non of them have their winter tires on yet. Nothing is frozen, no plowing markers up. Never even did a drive through of my route to spy raised manholes.

20/80

Occupation
operator
We got some this afternoon. Raining now, Hope it stays that way. Big panic around the shop today. WE are still doing dirt work. I plowed the snow off a driveway today so they could pave it. Last one for the season. Plant is shut down.. Still crushing, so some of the loaders are still busy. Non of them have their winter tires on yet. Nothing is frozen, no plowing markers up. Never even did a drive through of my route to spy raised manholes.
Yep, winter comes early for you guy's in Northern NB, we are suppose to get a few inch's Friday evening, will be enough for the Department here to hit the panic button and send the salt trucks.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army

We had an awesome Fall weatherwise. I cleaned a LOT of ditches and shaped banks. Could drive the grader off into anything with no fear of getting stuck. Very dry. Which equaled long stretches of perfect weather. I pushed hard on projects. Phone company burying cable on my roads slowed me down a little. But generally thought I was ready for Winter.

I drove around this morning looking at my roads and realized I'm still not ready. I'm kinda OCD that way. Next week we'll be above freezing daytime and just below freezing nighttime. I'll grade roads until noon each day just smoothing them. Then I'll be ready for it to freeze up and stay that way for the next 3 months.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Yep, winter comes early for you guy's in Northern NB, we are suppose to get a few inch's Friday evening, will be enough for the Department here to hit the panic button and send the salt trucks.
MODOT (Missouri Department Of Transportation) salted bridges Monday morning. Normally don't see that until early December.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Yeah DTI was out salting. Front plows on, no wings. Did some trucking today out of our quarry. Most of yesterdays snow melted. As you head north towards our quarry, you can see the snow along the side of the road deepen until it covers the grass. The last couple miles to the quarry, still chip sealed, but low priority, was unplowed and slippery.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Big push on now to get the gear finished up for snow removal, most of our brime tanks have been filled, our shop filled our salt shed last spring when it was easy to get so we would not get caught up in the panic of not having any salt in your shed in come winter works, alot of our sister shops didn't do that, they are low on salt and are at the mercy of the salt mine and truckers now, I expect the cost has risen alot to fill your shed sense the spring with the price of fuel now, 11 Bucks a gallon for diesel here in NS, more in NB.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Starting the big thaw today. Should get to 40F, warm South breeze. Probably hit 60F mid week. That's where we should be every day.

colson04

We received right around 20" of snow in the last 4 days. Today is below freezing, but prevalent sunshine. Snow is already melting down. Above freezing the rest of the week with frequent chances of rain, all of this snow should be gone by Turkey day.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We received right around 20" of snow in the last 4 days. Today is below freezing, but prevalent sunshine. Snow is already melting down. Above freezing the rest of the week with frequent chances of rain, all of this snow should be gone by Turkey day.
Our ponds are froze over so we've got some frost in the ground. If we got 20" we probably would have a portion of it all Winter.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Piles are freezing here. I ran plant loader for the afternoon. Asphalt plant is shut down now but people are still using product. The 1 inch stone pile had a foot thick crust on it when I broke into it. Going to do some topsoil work tomorrow. That should be fun. Mud and frozen chunks.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Gravel roads now are freezing and thawing now making that gruel form on them later in the day, warm shot of weather is on its way in with some rain for this weekend, flip flop weather happening now, glad when everything freezes solid, if it will happen, that's the worst with living on the coast now a days -20c in the morning +10c in the afternoon, plays hell with all the roads, trucks have been out the last couple of mornings salting from the snow the evening before, the roads here where a sheet of ice last evening, no way will the department send salt trucks before winter works in the evening when the roads need it and have to pay double time to its operators, lol, come Winter works the department will send salt trucks with just a few flurries in the air at night, lol

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We are back to no frost. Installed two culverts today. Took out some roadside brush and cleaned a drainage area. Almost got the grader stuck once......

Next week we will go back to 40F-ish daytime, high 20Fs nightime. I'll use that opportunity to lightly grade roads until noon each day.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
07C09F8B-2CB6-4A99-90FE-DA76CE0938D0.jpeg I decided to put one wing on the one of 3 blades I operate have to do this one outside so figured might as well do it while weather is nice out will put others on when I need them we got 3 inches of snow Monday night and Tuesday roads are dry so I went out and bladed my high traffic roads mixing snow and gravel in hopefully will melt in next 3 days and freeze up nice and smooth.