• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

who makes the BEST dozer

t3chw00di

D6k

I'm really curious what the cat hydrostatic drivetrain will be like. If it's anything like Deere's 650/750, it'll be great. I also wonder if cat will use it in bigger machines at some point. The D6K is a little small for what I do usually.
As for the Accugrade Lazer, I'm sure it will great for small area's like lots and pads. The prob I see with lazer is that it's line of sight, so it limits you too much on larger sites. A GPS system is the way to go I think. I'm getting a new D6R (was hoping for a D6T, but they aren't shipping yet) with Trimble GCS900 GPS (same as cat accugrade) within a week or two. It's awsome to have the whole job design on a 1/4 section subdevelopment right at your fingertips :D
I'm really looking forward to the auto blade control for finishing. Can we say LAZY!?!? ;)

Deas Plant

Laser for house pads

Hi, CM1995.
I spent seven years cutting house pads with laser monitoring equipment on track loaders, 941's, 943's and 953's, and on a Cat D5B wide gauge dozer, 44X series.

The system we had was only grade checking, not grade controlling, that is it only checked the levels as you worked and gave you the readings and it only read about 3 1/2" above or below grade. Still it was well and truly worth having for the time it saved getting on and off the machine to manually check the levels.

Basically, it was the normal laser emitter (sender) unit set up where would do the most good, ie., somewhere between 7 and 8 1/4 feet above finished grade and where it had unrestricted coverage of the site. Then there was a laser receiver with a magnetic base that stuck to either a canopy leg or a vertical rail fitted to the door of the cab. We had survey staff scales stuck to these rails and/or the canopy legs to eliminate wasted time measuring the height at which the sensor needed to be set. Once we had the height worked out, we just looked it up on the survey staff scale and stuck the magnet at that height.

That company only had one machine, a 953C, with the electronics built in to run a laser-controlled system.

When working, I simply started cutting at the top, watched the sensor for when it indicated that it was getting close to grade and started spreading my load when the sensor showed grade. I always worked my fill up in layers so that I could track roll it as I came up.

Some clients wanted the fill compacted with a vibrating sheepsfoot roller. We always used a drawn vibrating roller for this work 'cos you could hang it over the edge to compact the batters too and still get it back. If you were using a self-propelled roller and hung the drum over the edge like we did, the only way from there would be down. Yes, there were those who said that these drawn vibrating rollers are antiquated and I have to admit that they are. However, they do the job where nothing else will.

The sensors that this company used indicated 'on grade' to about 1/2" above or below and then read 'high' or 'low' as the case may be for 3" above or below that 'on-grade' range. Once you got used to it, it was fairly easy to keep the 'on-grade' light flashing right across and all over a house pad if you were trimming with a track loader with a 4-in-1 bucket. It was a little harder with the D5B but still emminently do-able. And most of this company's clients only wanted +/- 3/4" anyway.

The only real problem that I had, other than the odd defective laser emitter or receiver, was with reflections from windows in existing houses around the site. To stop this, I used to drape a heavy cloth over the sides of the emitter facing these windows. At one stage, I made up a cardboard shroud that simply dropped over the emitter and did the same job.

I have never used laser-controlled grading equipment on anything but believe from the reports I have heard that is very quick and very accurate.

Over longer distances on hot days, heat haze can affect the laser beam making it do strange things but I never had that problem over the sorts of distances that we were working on even quite large house pads and a few even bigger factory or shopping centre pads.

Hope this helps.

Deas Plant

Hydrostatic Drive Train

Hi, t3chw00di.
Personally, I'd be a little surprised if it's a whole lot different from the hydrostatic loader drive trains. This is just guesswork but Cat do have a pretty well-proven system there that doesn't give a lot of trouble and works well. I also think it would be a VERY good move to have foot pedal steering allsame the track loaders - leaves your hands free for the 'IMPORTANT' stuff - - like controlling the attachments, scratching your (r)ear, picking your nose, sending 'the bird' to your workmates, etc..

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Thanks for the info Deas. This is exactly the type of info I am looking for - actual experience. The salesman just wants to move systems and worry about the problems later.

Have a great day.
Cory

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver

Deas Plant

On salesmen and worrying.

Hi, CM1995.
Oh, that it were so. But it AIN'T. Sure, salesmen want to move product. Unfortunately, they seldom seem very interested in 'WORRYING' about it later. The combination of the measures of how good the product actually is and the amount of 'worrying' that the salesman does will go a long way to determining just how much repeat business that particular salesman and that product will receive.

Re the information; You are most welcome. I don't see a lot of point in my spending 40+ years gathering it just to take it to the grave with me. If you have further queries, feel free to send me a private message if you want. If you include your e-mail, I will send as much detail as I have about your queries. Bear in mind though that my experience relates to the products available DownUnder, which may not always be the ones that you are looking at.

Deas Plant

Spreader bars

Hi, CM1995 and Squizzy.
This particular company ackshully had a 'brain-snap' and had spreader bars built for the track loaders that could be clamped in the 4-in-1 buckets just like the spreader bars that you see skid-steers using but to scale for track loaders. They worked VERY well and meant that you were trimming up to about 4 metres (13 feet) at a time instead of 2 1/2 metres (8 feet). They also did not dig in as much as the dozer cutting edge on the 4-in-1 bucket. Great stuff.

Scott_527

I'd like to open up a new can of worms here if I could. Most of the dozer talk seems to be about big dozers, so I'll ask this question. Who would you say makes the best machine for the D6-8 size class?

mtb345

Occupation
heavey equipment operator
for that class base on my exp CAT ihave worked on a lot of rock jobs and nobody would take a chance on anything else[better grade of steel too. the only dozer on the market that a company would invest in over 20yrs old is cat:cool2

catd8t

Occupation
bulldozer excuvator operator
the d8t is the best dozer ive ever run. that dozer is so smooth and quick. i put that dozer in high gear and it just moves so much material. my boss came out on the job the other day and said it was worth the money. i like that dozer a whoe lot better then that d 65 i ran before i had to work on getting use to running the side seat but other then that i like it a lot as you can tell. i must say i havent ran a dozer better but my boss wants a d9t now cause we have a big job to do and he alked to me about running it ill keep u guys posted on that one. so thats my peace of mind on that one

catd4g

a little smaller please.

Without a brand war pros and cons of these 3 dozers to each other.
1. Cat D4G
2. Deer 550J
3. Komatsu P37

All are LPG with cab and air, around a 115 inch blade.

Use: we are a small company that does light dozer clearing, site prep, small ponds, driveways, housepads etc.
We also have a Hatichi 120 excuvator and have been running a Komatsu P31 open station. Want to upgrade to a little larger dozer with cab.
The dozer will be pushed to its max on some clearing jobs as we do get into some very thick cutover areas sometimes for deer plots etc.
Thank you for any info.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF catd4g! :drinkup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Without a brand war pros and cons of these 3 dozers to each other.
1. Cat D4G
2. Deer 550J
3. Komatsu P37

G,day D4g, welcome...There has been a lot of discussion on "smaller" dozers in threads various....not necassarily dedicated threads, but the topic has come up quite a bit posted by dozer operators well better informed than me.....Try searching through some of the older dozer threads for some great reading.....if that doesn't amuse you then you can try the "Lonely Friday thread which will tell you everything about nothing:rolleyes:

PSDF350

G,day D4g, welcome...There has been a lot of discussion on "smaller" dozers in threads various....not necassarily dedicated threads, but the topic has come up quite a bit posted by dozer operators well better informed than me.....Try searching through some of the older dozer threads for some great reading.....if that doesn't amuse you then you can try the "Lonely Friday thread which will tell you everything about nothing:rolleyes:

I also am no dozer expert (far from it) but from what info I have been able to gather from here and other places I visit. Is that for the smaller dozers deere is favored. But for d5 above it is cat.

HAWKVOL

Cat D6K is a DEERE 700J Wannabe.....

For the record I do own/operate a bunch of yellow scrap iron.:D

I like the looks of the D6K for finishing slopes, building small pads, stripping topsoil, working on subgrade, etc. I would like to give the D6k a year or so to work out the new machine "bugs" and demo one with accugrade for finishing house/building pads. I really like the idea of a laser system to grade lot pads. Anybody used it on a small/mid size dozer?

DEERE owns the Dozer Market from the 700J down in the states....and the 750J is beginning to outresale the D6N in some areas. Cat is chasing the DEERE design and the D6K was their latest attempt to rip DEERE off. They didn't get it done from what I'm hearing from guys that have demo'd it.

Cat is still living off it's reputation in the BIG Iron from years ago...The field is catching them.

Accertin

:pointhead Deere taste good smoked, what do you mean they're running the show on dozer's in the US? Ok, some folks have a grudge on the real big yellow (eveyone has an opinion). Lets see how the D6K plays out, I can tell you this, seeing more K's and M series graders rolling on trucks down the road.:usa

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
DEERE owns the Dozer Market from the 700J down in the states....and the 750J is beginning to outresale the D6N in some areas. Cat is chasing the DEERE design and the D6K was their latest attempt to rip DEERE off. They didn't get it done from what I'm hearing from guys that have demo'd it.

Cat is still living off it's reputation in the BIG Iron from years ago...The field is catching them.

Welcome to the forum HAWKVOL.:drinkup

I have to disagree that Deere owns the dozer market from the 700J down - at least in my neck of the woods- just south of your location. There are far more Cat's than Deere's on the jobsites. Now that goes with also saying that Deere does not have as strong of dealer presence that Cat does in my area. I will also admit that I have not tried any of the new dozer offerings that Deere has. I have a D5G, D6N and D6R. The D6N is by far my favorite dozer to operate and one of the most versatile in my small fleet. I am not currently in the market for a new dozer due to the unfortunate downturn in the housing market, but when I am I will demo a Deere.

As far as Cat ripping Deere off - I guess it just depends on what year you base it own. Remember Holt Manufacturing and C L Best Tractor Company..........:cool:

HAWKVOL

Every Die Hard Cat guy I know tips his Hat to the DEERE Dozers from the 700J down. They will say out loud that it is a better product than the Cat Dozers.........Lately there is more Buzz in the 750J-850J Class also.The Cat Dealerships in the area are Very strong and that seems to carry the day in much of the decision making.

It's a good decision to give the DEERE Dozers a look....I'll be shocked if you don't fall in love.

biggixxerjim

ill take the 550J.

Deere does make awesome smaller dozers, better than cat I must say. Better balanced, just as much if not more power, great visibility, etc. My company has a 450H LGP with about 6,000 hours on it, and it is a great little machine. No reliability issues and it is EVERYONES favorite dozer to run in the company. I know the cat doesnt leave much room to improve, but the Deere just feels like a more together package. And Im a cat fan to the bones.

I ran an 850J LGP and it was very impressive as well.

Last edited:

petersfamilytru

Cat is the ONLY real dozer.

Almost all the equipment I own is John Deere. I really like Deere equipment, and they are good on parts. Yet, I will never own anything but a Caterpillar dozer. They hold up to the abuse that goes along with owning a dozer.

Take a look at an early 80's model John Deere or Komatsu dozer... They almost give them away! Caterpillar still brings good value after 25 year.