• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wheeled excavators.

RoadDoc

Amen

Can't agree more on the VA Boom! Had the pleasure of running one for a few years. Feel naked now that I don't have one. The VA option machines are still in the minority here. I've seen a few tracked excavators that have the option, too. (None in the U.S. as yet)

Has anyone tried filling their tires for more counterweight? Filled the tires on my Hyundai R55W when I had it. Obviously, this was pretty easy with single wheeled configuration and such small wheels. It really made life better. No flats, could lift a little more and had peace of mind working over the front and sides. (Had blade but no outriggers) No chance of blowout at a really inconvenient time....:rolleyes:

Didn't know what the majority would think about the tire filling idea. Must confess that I've never worn out a set of tires on a full sized machine yet. No idea of how long a set lasts. Would hate to shell out for filled tires only to get a year or two of work out of them.... Additionally, and especially in the case of duals, filling the tires may place undo strain on the driveline and steering systems. My luck, I'd void a much needed warranty that way!:ban:Banghead

fireman050

Occupation
construction & volunteer firefighter
At our mine we used to use this old thing for all our digging. What an incredible waste of time this thing was. We now have a 345C L. This will go to salvage soon. I never liked this machine. What are your opinions of these machines?

if you hate it so much i'll take it off your hands free of charge

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Has anyone tried filling their tires for more counterweight?

Didn't know what the majority would think about the tire filling idea. Must confess that I've never worn out a set of tires on a full sized machine yet.

Haven't filled a set myself but know of a drainage contractor that had his Hitachi done a couple of years ago :ban NOT RECOMMENDED :Banghead
It is not an owner operated machine :( if you get my drift. It has had quite a few pilots :rolleyes: all I heard about after was transmission / axle problems.
It was only ever second hand info I got so I need to be careful, but my understanding was that it was not a good move as far as they were concerned and they would not be repeating the operation.
I have not crossed paths with any of the workforce for a long time so I cant give you any update.

As for tyre wear, rule of thumb 3000hrs / 18 months, anything over is a bonus in my opinion. That is not to say you wont get a lot more out of a set, but by the same account it is easy to do a sidewall and bugger a tyre in a lot less.

This picture was taken following a moan about tyres by a QS. This tyre was less than a week old. There had been a comment about why was I getting punctures when I was on tarmac all the time:beatsme The screwdriver and bolt are to show size of the stone.

Attachments

• tyres 001.jpg
    tyres 001.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,398
  • tyres 002.jpg
    tyres 002.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,400
  • tyres 003.jpg
    tyres 003.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,395

Eddiebackblade

One For AtlasRob

Just back from a few days in Scotland, and managed to get the wife to snap this Sister ship for you. It was working in a place called the 'Kyle of Lochalsh', just before the bridge to Skye.
I think it looks a monster with that grapple hanging off her!

Attachments

• DSC01218.JPG
    DSC01218.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 1,353

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Just back from a few days in Scotland, and managed to get the wife to snap this Sister ship for you. It was working in a place called the 'Kyle of Lochalsh', just before the bridge to Skye.
I think it looks a monster with that grapple hanging off her!

Thanks for that Eddie, thats what I wanted a 1505 with the longer dipper,I'm trying to work out if the blade is front or back, I think its at the back, just wonder as it has a spacer between it and the chassis like it would need for steering axle :beatsme

Had another look, it is the shadow on the left set of wheels that makes them looked turned. Pretty sure from the position of the turn table that blade is on the front which is why there is a spacer.

Is a mean lookin grapple :thumbsup

Last edited:

flavortext03

Need Help

Hey guys, I need your help. I saw a wheeled excavator in my home town of Wylie a few weeks ago that I can not identify. It was on a side street in the grass where a sidewalk would be if a street has a sidewalk. I wasn't able to stop and take a picture at the time cause I had somewhere to be and when I went back the next day it was gone. It was three axle, with six wheels. If I remember correctly two axles were on the rear of the chassis and one on the front. It had no markings on it and was painted a flat dark green. I have spent days trying to figure out what it was and that search lead me to this forum. I thought it might have been piece of converted forestry equipment but the tires were not large and the axles were too close together to have just been smaller wheels and tires. Not to mention that the boom was to the side of the cab and not in front of it like the harvesters. Anyone have any ideas on what it was? I have racked my brain and am going nuts trying to figure out what this was. Any help would be appreciated.

-Brian

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Hey guys, I need your help. I saw a wheeled excavator in my home town of Wylie a few weeks ago that I can not identify. It was on a side street in the grass where a sidewalk would be if a street has a sidewalk. I wasn't able to stop and take a picture at the time cause I had somewhere to be and when I went back the next day it was gone. It was three axle, with six wheels. If I remember correctly two axles were on the rear of the chassis and one on the front. It had no markings on it and was painted a flat dark green. I have spent days trying to figure out what it was and that search lead me to this forum. I thought it might have been piece of converted forestry equipment but the tires were not large and the axles were too close together to have just been smaller wheels and tires. Not to mention that the boom was to the side of the cab and not in front of it like the harvesters. Anyone have any ideas on what it was? I have racked my brain and am going nuts trying to figure out what this was. Any help would be appreciated.

-Brian

Hi flavourtext03 first of all welcome aboard I hope you find the forum helpful.
It sounds to me like you saw a Gradall. Not a piece of equipment I am really familiar with as we dont have them this side of the pond, I am sure somebody else will chip in if they have a better idea. Have a look at this and see if it was. :thumbsup
http://www.gradall.com/highway_wheeled.html

flavortext03

Hi flavourtext03 first of all welcome aboard I hope you find the forum helpful.
It sounds to me like you saw a Gradall. Not a piece of equipment I am really familiar with as we dont have them this side of the pond, I am sure somebody else will chip in if they have a better idea. Have a look at this and see if it was. :thumbsup
http://www.gradall.com/highway_wheeled.html

Thanks for the input but that wasn't it. Neat looking equipment though. It was more like this but with three axles and only one wheel on each end of the axle.

http://plant-sales.hawk-group.co.uk/index.php?module=product&prod_id=22

This is similar to the axle configuration on it.
http://www.jimssnowmobileandmarine.com/ranger6by6opt.jpg

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Thanks for the input but that wasn't it. Neat looking equipment though. It was more like this but with three axles and only one wheel on each end of the axle.

http://plant-sales.hawk-group.co.uk/index.php?module=product&prod_id=22

This is similar to the axle configuration on it.
http://www.jimssnowmobileandmarine.com/ranger6by6opt.jpg

Sounds like a 3 axle duck on super singles:eek: Pictures of that I would really like to see.:) & if your going to post links to pictures of ducks, at least use mine. :D :drinkup

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
I cant find a picture of one, but it sounds like a Case Poclain. I thought they made a version as you described, with 2 axles under the turntable, with a steering axle up front. I cant seem to find a picture of it. Here is one with only 2 axles.

75521813.jpg

DaveVB

Occupation
Maintenance Tech at Private Bible College
Anyone on here ever run or seen a US Air Force crater repair excavator? It was a John Deere 690? with six tires, three on each side with the center axle slightly lower than the other two for turning purposes. These tires were equally spaced unlike your description of a space between the "front 1 and the rear 2".
Quite a treat to operate. It had a blade on the front for stabilizing and pushing.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Anyone on here ever run or seen a US Air Force crater repair excavator? It was a John Deere 690? with six tires, three on each side with the center axle slightly lower than the other two for turning purposes. These tires were equally spaced unlike your description of a space between the "front 1 and the rear 2".
Quite a treat to operate. It had a blade on the front for stabilizing and pushing.

You mean one of these? Second Picture, I have more I'll post them shortly

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=48070&postcount=15

flavortext03

It may have been centered. It was a week or so ago and I was in a hurry. It was a military green with what looked like some of the glass covered with steel plate.

You mean one of these? Second Picture, I have more I'll post them shortly

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=48070&postcount=15

That brings back some memorys. I don't remember it being that big. Thanks for all the help guys.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Here's the Pics

I don't have a better one of the side but here's some of the blade, the feet and the boom.

Attachments

• HPIM1314 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1314 (Small).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,200
  • HPIM1315 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1315 (Small).JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,197
  • HPIM1313 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1313 (Small).JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,224
  • HPIM1317 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1317 (Small).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,212

Eddiebackblade

Treat to Operate!!

I've got to say that quote by Dave that they are a 'Treat to Operate' certainly cheared me up.
I think that beast would be a real 'Treat' in a narrow street laying a deep sewer!!:rolleyes:
Seriously though' I've never seen anything like it, and am actually quite impressed with the many innovations on the machine.
I hope more pics of a 690 in action turn up.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Hi there. I would have said Yumbo, but when I read again, it had three axles instead of 1 full axle and front dolly like on an old tractor...