• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wheeled excavators.

flavortext03

Its a Deere of some kind but I am not familiar with the model. It looks smaller than the 960c posted earlier.

Attachments

• excav.jpg
    excav.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,746

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Its a Deere of some kind but I am not familiar with the model. It looks smaller than the 960c posted earlier.

Well my vote goes to DaveVB :thumbsup dont think anybody deserves the cigar more. Hit that nail firmly on the head with the first shot :D
Still a new one on me though. Am I right it thinking it was a type of skid steer rather than conventional steer ?

flavortext03

Well my vote goes to DaveVB :thumbsup dont think anybody deserves the cigar more. Hit that nail firmly on the head with the first shot :D
Still a new one on me though. Am I right it thinking it was a type of skid steer rather than conventional steer ?

Looks like it would be a skid. It still looks smaller than that 960c though to me.

joispoi

I just spent the past 3 days on a Hitachi 160 rubber duck with rototilt filling in behind curbs and prepping for sod. The Hitachi 160 does not have enough counterweight for the rototilt. At full extension over the side (and even before), the wheels wanted to lift off if movements weren´t slow enough. Not really ideal if you´re trying to make time.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I just spent the past 3 days on a Hitachi 160 rubber duck with rototilt filling in behind curbs and prepping for sod. The Hitachi 160 does not have enough counterweight for the rototilt. At full extension over the side (and even before), the wheels wanted to lift off if movements weren´t slow enough. Not really ideal if you´re trying to make time.

I understand your comments and can simpathise :yup

Did you by any chance take a picture of the machine? I wouldn't mind betting it has a standard or what some would call a long stick ( dipper arm).
You add another 2' ( 500 mm ) plus the additional weight by adding that head, the extra reach is great but as you found it unbalances the machine.
I was a bit upset when my duck arrived as it had a short stick ( apart from a few other things like 4 legs) but thats been covered else where :) the machine was spec'd and piped for a rotator as it was originaly going to a part of the world where they cant operate without one :stirthepot as a result it would end up with the same sort of reach as I am accustomed to without compromising stability.

In these pictures compare the top mounting of the bucket ram to see the difference 1st two are Terex Atlas 3rd is Zaxis 140 :drinkup

Attachments

• dip 1.jpg
    dip 1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,576
  • dip 2.JPG
    dip 2.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,576
  • dip 3.jpg
    dip 3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,549

paulrochester

At our mine we used to use this old thing for all our digging. What an incredible waste of time this thing was. We now have a 345C L. This will go to salvage soon. I never liked this machine. What are your opinions of these machines?

This model was made by Eada machinery for cat ?

flavortext03

Well, I finally found the elusive 690 that has been on my mind since July when I first saw it. I was taking a back road I don't usually take on Sunday and saw it sitting next to a City of Wylie facility. I rushed home to get the camera before it moved again. Here are some pics. If anyone has anymore information about these c series 690's let me know. I am very intrigued by them.

PB160004.jpg

PB160005.jpg

PB160006.jpg

PB160007.jpg

PB160008.jpg

PB160009.jpg

PB160010.jpg

PB160011.jpg

bigblueox

thats sweet looks like it's in excellent shape. is it a municiplaity machine? looks like a Army corps machine by the paint. Nice pics:drinkup

flavortext03

I am assuming that it is a city machine as it was on city owned property. Based on research and other members description it seems that these wheeled 690c's were only used by the Air Force. I would imagine that Wylie bought the Deere from a government auction as it does look like military paint.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Well, I finally found the elusive 690 that has been on my mind since July when I first saw it.

Glad you managed to finally nail that baby and thanks for the update.

So showing my ignorance how does Standard fit into the equasion.

Did they do major alterations/additions to JD machines for the military ?

flavortext03

Glad you managed to finally nail that baby and thanks for the update.

So showing my ignorance how does Standard fit into the equasion.

Did they do major alterations/additions to JD machines for the military ?

I did some research and apparently Standard is a front or another name for this company. http://www.crashrescue.com/default.asp The picture of Crash Rescue's facility and the aerial photo of the address on the plate are the same. The must have bought the 690c with some old firetrucks from the Air Force and sold the 690 under the Standard name. That is my guess. I could be way off.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Looking at that duck i imediately thought of a airforce machine.
Tracked vehicles is a No No on airstrips.
Three axles would function well on those flat areas.

For the duck posted i would say it belonged to a airfield damage repair(ADR) unit.
There was/is a ADR group for each airfield.
Their mission is to go out on the tarmac and dig out bombcraters, fill in gravel, lay new concrete or premade concrete slabs.
They also got aluminium "blankets" that can be rolled out in minutes.
Within a number of minutes they have repaired a number of holes in the tarmac.

That armoured cab is a must if u need to dig up unexploded bombs..
Or some other nasty stuff like clusters lying around on the ground......

Our Norwegian ADR groups had/has some real strange solutions.
They had a duck from Akerman, H7 undercarriage and a H10 uperstructure.
ME boom...long before anybody else new what that was.

john1066

Here is a gradall. gradalls are very good for finnish work or working on the street plus with a top speed of 55mph you can drive them where ever you want to go

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,173
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,173
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,220

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
gradalls are very good for finnish work or working on the street plus with a top speed of 55mph you can drive them where ever you want to go

That machine always appears so :crazy to me. I fully understand that it is a proven design and it works but they have never caught on over here, thats if ever there has been one in the UK :) It just appears so big :wierd. :D

john1066

Thats the thing. The one day i remember when i was about 15 we had the gradall and 330 digging a detention pond and the gradall was actually out working the 330. its also pretty strong we can pick up 8x20 steel road plates its picked the boom and stick off of a 225 will pick jersey barriers with the boom fully extended. Its pretty versatile we use it for day jobs just going out and doing something that won't last long. it can drive from the yard to pretty much anywhere.

RoadDoc

john1066:

Good looking unit. :thumbsup I know of a guy in FL that hires out on a 5100 like yours. It's his second one and he stays busy all the time. Do you get a lot of hours for yours?

Last edited:

john1066

We might use it once or twice a month to run out and grade sidewalks or patch trenches and stuff. a couple years ago it would run just about every day for 5 or 6 months

RoadDoc

Hope things pick up for you soon.

Haven't had the chance to run one other than about fifteen minutes on a G3WD (?) You mentioned handling barrier. What size will it pick? I've used a lot of wheeled excavators for barrier in the past. Love them. Some states have some really long stuff like 20' or 30'. Some contractors in GA that have big Gradalls use them for barrier. However, most barrier in GA only runs around 6000 lbs. (10' to 12') Couldn't handle those bigger size walls with the rigs I've been on. Wondered with the upper power and additional weight of the truck chassis if your machine would pick more....

hammer66

Occupation
crushing screening,etc.....
gradall

hey john is walsh trucking for you or are you walsh?? buy the way I got a chance to pick up a wheeled excavator in pawtucket for $3000.00 its old and beat-on but i know it runs.Iplayed with it about ayear ago after work what do you think or ami nuts ?? you get called back yet?