• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Yup,
I have had the privilege of running my motor car on that line several times, I was hoping to go up island one more time but that chance has eluded me now.

Betelgeuse

Seaspan doing what they do best pulling your (Vancouver Is) wood. Doing their monthly rounds. I always enjoy watching them go by while I am at work.
That's Victoria in the background. I took the picture from top of Mt Dallas San Juan island.

Attachments

• IMG_20171115_095830956_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171115_095830956_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5136.jpg
    IMG_5136.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 78

Betelgeuse

Here is a peculiar sight. I am watching a log barge heading north up Georgia strait towards Naniamo empty never seen that before. I am presuming that it was on the westside of Vancouver island. I have always seen them loaded heading north. Come to think of it I have seen one heading south down Georgia strait loaded.
Any ideas why one would head north empty and one south loaded?

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Here is a peculiar sight. I am watching a log barge heading north up Georgia strait towards Naniamo empty never seen that before. I am presuming that it was on the westside of Vancouver island. I have always seen them loaded heading north. Come to think of it I have seen one heading south down Georgia strait loaded.
Any ideas why one would head north empty and one south loaded?
Where about we’re you located? Several log barges dump in Ladysmith Harbour then head back north to top end of V Isl

Betelgeuse

Where about we’re you located? Several log barges dump in Ladysmith Harbour then head back north to top end of V Isl

I live on San Juan island Washington. I have been working on top of Mt Dallas for a few years over looking Georgia strait and Victoria. The barges that I am referring to are the Seaspan barges with the two cranes and ballast tanks. I am not sure if there are two barges with seaspan or they just switch up the tug. I do on occasion see a few different ones. Another one that I have seen is a regular barge with a crawler Crane and another barge with a shovel (for the Canadians log loader;).
I look across at Vancouver island and yearn to come explore. To bad the San Juan islands didn't become Canadian back in the day. In the state parks here on San Juan there is plenty of old stumps with multiple spring board notches from when they logged the island back in the 1800s.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
I live on San Juan island Washington. I have been working on top of Mt Dallas for a few years over looking Georgia strait and Victoria. The barges that I am referring to are the Seaspan barges with the two cranes and ballast tanks. I am not sure if there are two barges with seaspan or they just switch up the tug. I do on occasion see a few different ones. Another one that I have seen is a regular barge with a crawler Crane and another barge with a shovel (for the Canadians log loader;).
I look across at Vancouver island and yearn to come explore. To bad the San Juan islands didn't become Canadian back in the day. In the state parks here on San Juan there is plenty of old stumps with multiple spring board notches from when they logged the island back in the 1800s.
The SAN Juan’s are great places. We do boat down that way. Hope more opinions would come forward as to what the barges are doing. I have a couple of ideas but hoping someone else would come onboard first. Bp

Betelgeuse

Here are a few pics that I took of the camp at the end of Toba Inlet at the mouth of the Toba river. I anchored overnight at the bottom of Toba Inlet.View attachment 121833View attachment 121834View attachment 121835

Toba inlet is a very beautiful spot. I have been cruising up there and anchored right at the mouth of the river next to the old (looked like retired) booming area a whole bunch of old pilings. There was a landing and dock. I believe there was a boat at the dock if memory serves me right. Waked up a logging road a ways and found a 12inch Young block. Wish I explored it more. Beautiful area.
Any activity up there these days?

49pacific

Len burtons pictures there are of bear lake loggings float camp. I was working for them then. We moved out of woods lagoon down there for the summer. Bear lake logging use to be cougar inlet logging when bob lee was partnered with mill and timber. Bob bought out mill and timber and started bear lake logging with timber Johnson and David pope

Born2clearcut

Toba inlet is a very beautiful spot. I have been cruising up there and anchored right at the mouth of the river next to the old (looked like retired) booming area a whole bunch of old pilings. There was a landing and dock. I believe there was a boat at the dock if memory serves me right. Waked up a logging road a ways and found a 12inch Young block. Wish I explored it more. Beautiful area.
Any activity up there these days?
Yes their is some activity in Toba . I have a buddy heading into camp in Toba today

Betelgeuse

Just looked out the window at work and saw a barge full of equipment heading south down Georgia strait just about to hit Cadboro bay by Victoria. Looks like two madill 044 and a few excavators which I would assume one is a tail hold machine. Looks like a seaspan tug unless another company is res and white. Any ideas where it's heading?