• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

HDX

TorkelH I did not realize that the 7230 orange heel boom log loader that I hauled down to Sarita Yard was originally in fact one of our old Long Boom shovels from Franklin Her original number with M&B was L26. It was not till DBDLS went down to Sarita and took all the measurements on her that he told me, That was a Long Boom shovel !!!! I called Brian Schultz from BCFP's Caycuse Division and he confirmed that in fact they had bought her from Franklin and wanted to build a super snorkel type log loader out of her. Was hauled to Gordon River Division Shop and that is where the conversion happened. He did say that it was the best machine he ever ran Really loved her till they swung over to highway equipment, then he had to give her up. So many sad stories have come out of the "New day in the Forest" Will see if I got a couple pictures of her as a Long Boom and post them

dirty4fun

HDX, looking forward to seeing more pictures, and maybe you can share a few more details about the long boom. It would be nice to know how long the boom is and width of the machine, when you get a chance.

TorkelH

For the two Madill snorkels 90030 was owned by Hayes F P, delivered May 1981 and 90055 was owned by GW Cox&sons Logging in Campbell River as owner, delivered in November 1986. Cannot say if they were original owners. Both on Madills 082 rubber tired carriers and with 8V71 as all 69 of the 075's.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Steve, I didn't even look into the snorkels... Interesting about the 7230. My list says it was sold from Weyerhaeuser, Cameron to Teal Jones in 2005. Here's a picture and a video of it from Flora lake area 1997 paired with J17:
View attachment 169957 :
I'm not sure what year Timberwest bought the 7230 , but it was a couple of years before Teal Jones took over the TFL #46 which was 2004 .

HDX

That is great info because it tends to put everything in order. I don't know how things worked out because we were already long gone from Weyco. We were sold to Hayes Forest in Jan 2003. We were weyco from late 1999 till jan 2003 when HFS officially took us over and Weyco disappeared. I know HFS had absolutely no use for Long Boom Loader's so they were all gone. L26 and L219 (Gilbert and Bob Tassie) After M&B there was nobody else interested in them. I kind of grew up hauling from them .mostly in right of way settings. When there was a tough landing or no R/W or W/RW they would put them loading out of the long line yarder landings. I will see what I can come up with though. Just for your records H16 is actually H316 a franklin PreLoad HDX Was the first preload we got and the first one to be cut up. The 4 Cameron PreLoad trucks were disposed of by a new equipment supervisor that came from Kennedy Lake Division, Bob Rodgers. He sent H88 to the RB auction. H89 went to Shawnigan Division of M&B and Walter Miles made a Conventional truck out of her. She ended up being saved and is well looked after (Still has H89 on her) H90and H91 were cut up in the Franklin Shop yard by Hayes Forest. They also did not believe in PreLoad trucks As for H316 it was a thing that the drivers did for entertainment I guess. There is the odd picture of an H18 It was also H318. Then the film clip of an H17 up island with 121 rear ends in her No it was actually H37 one of the few HDX's M&B bought with 121 rear ends. Would have been a very nice truck back in the day. Specially with those rear ends. Sure would like to see pictures of her when new. OK TorkelH Will see what we can come up with Thanks for posting those pictures. Sure took me back listening to that engine working in the loader LOL

TorkelH

So maybe the shop painter didn't like making "3"'s?

Would be happy to see more pictures of L26. Hope also it's ok for you that I upload your recent picture of her to an MMB group on FB?

Some years ago I figured out FB had a lot better capabilities to store high quality pictures, but lacks (or it's not used) the systematic order from forums like this. What you posted on FB a few days ago is too easily drowned in new posts. In FB you reach many, many more people with the obvious benefits and disadvantages following it. I am happy this forum now has capabilities for uploading hi-res pictures.

I visited Franklin and Sproat several times from 1993 to 2003. I remember well the sad climate change after Weyerhaeuser took over, no doubt this was another management with a complete different angle at workers wellbehaving, not alone but also a lot of rightful fear for what to come in the future.

HDX

TorkelH Yes, by all means. The more people that can see these pictures the better. As for the "3" number All you had to do was go see the camp body shop and they would give you any numbers you wanted. All seems so long ago and very different times. With the americanization of the BC Forest industry came change. Will look through my pictures and see what we have

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I stupidly gave away my Pacific hats probably 25 years ago.I don't remember the top hat with the maple leafs on it but I will assume its probably from the "Pacific Canadian" time in the mid to late 80's.
I also gave away my Pacific Jacket to one of the drivers of the Allied concrete trucks.I haven't tried to find it but last time I saw Larry at Pacific he gave me the Pacific Jacket of one of their long time employees who sadly died at his desk a few years ago..It hangs in my home office now..

HDX...is there corporate Hayes hats ???

Just got my answer in the Hayes thread.......

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Got me thinking.....I have one of these.Cant be too many of these around and its even color matched to my truck...I really like those Hayes keychains (hint hint)
grizzly 003.JPG

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Mike Cross Timberwest HBO . Mike on left making a point with Rob White , 3rd picture #41-121 Mikes ride when he drove highway log truck at HBO .scan651.jpg scan652.jpg scan653.jpg scan654.jpg