• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tractor pans or scrapers which do you like better

Jake

Occupation
Operator
It's a rental from Atlantic Tractor of Oxford, Pa. I will see if I can get some pictures up soon. It has the auto load feature, but I do not care for that.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
It's a rental from Atlantic Tractor of Oxford, Pa. I will see if I can get some pictures up soon. It has the auto load feature, but I do not care for that.

I never really used it the few times I had the option. Who do you work for Jake?

aglasergps

Occupation
Managing Director - TOOMEY EARTHMOVERS
Thought I'd attach a photo I took during trials we did a few years ago. This was the first Bell 4206 to hit Australia and we hooked a pair of buckets (pans) to the back of it to see how it would handle them. There were a pair of Cat 627's on this particular job site and contractor was good enough to let us trial them along side his scrapers. These pans were 12 yard strut capacity (measured) and we reakon we were putting about 15 yards in each one. From when the cutting edge of the first one hit the ground to the last one coming off the ground with the apron closing, it was only about 25 seconds. The haul was 400 metres and we clocked more loads than the twin powers by the end of the day. After 3 days the difference in fuel usage between them was another matter the contractor didn't find all that amusing. The guys in the 627's got so frustrated they started push/pulling to try and catch us. Was fun to watch..........

Attachments

• S1010033.jpg
    S1010033.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,014

aglasergps

Occupation
I liked the Bell concept simply because it has the Allison and the converter and in my mind, made it potentially a bit more bullet proof in an industrial (bulk earthworks) environment when it comes to operator abuse. In an agricultural field levelling application the powershifts are probably still more effective in terms of their ground speed/gear ratio matching.

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
found these in mew mexico last winter. their ws 2

Attachments

• 100_2219.jpg
    100_2219.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,947

Mass-X

aglasergps: “The guys in the 627's got so frustrated they started push/pulling to try and catch us.”

So the 627’s were loading singly until they saw the pull-pans passing them up and then decided to push-pull in an attempt to catch up? I’m not following the logic there.

aglasergps

Occupation
Yes, they were single loading initially and eventually went back to it. It just started to look - what's the best way to describe it - like they were trying to prove something when they started to push/pull and you could tell they were flogging the gear to try and keep up. No twin power operator likes to think their machine is being outclassed by some new toy tractor. All we were doing was trying to show the tractor drawn scraper concept and that it could do the job.............it just proved to be better than anyone expected.

Richardjw~

Yes, they were single loading initially and eventually went back to it. It just started to look - what's the best way to describe it - like they were trying to prove something when they started to push/pull and you could tell they were flogging the gear to try and keep up. No twin power operator likes to think their machine is being outclassed by some new toy tractor. All we were doing was trying to show the tractor drawn scraper concept and that it could do the job.............it just proved to be better than anyone expected.

Excellent common sense answer!!! Backed up with facts......horses for courses, some folks struggle to grasp this concept.

Good luck!!!

JOE 535

We run case 535s with 17yd pans ben in business since 1979.All the compairsons all the talk, they dont run this equipment dont know to operate and most of all they dont know what it cost.I can sit here with a calculator and make all of us rich.But from my years of experance tractors are great up to a mile haul after that the cycle time is much slower and cost is not much different moving less. In wet conditions you can drop the back pan and i can go were you will be parked or pushed.If you are going to compair you have to compair apples for apples.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
are we gonna have to wait? no hints, if its in this thread it must be a pull scraper.:beatsme

Renfroe Grading

I will go ahead and tell you. I have put a hitch pull bale on the front of a Terex ts14c and adding the hook to the rear of my D8N/621 pull scraper shown previously in this thread. I may end up building a D8N with a hitch pull bale as well and hook 2 D8N pull set ups together.

fensoncont.

Sounds like a very interesting setup. I would like to hear some more details as to how this is going to work? Pictures of this creation would be awesome as well.

Hollywood627G

I was always told and have witnessed first hand that a single 27 is faster then 2 due to the fact that you have to load 2 scrapers instead of one. We had 2 Bell tractors and 4 627g's on a 1.8 million cu yd. job here in AZ (U.S.A), and it didnt matter wheater it was pre wet topsoil, sand, or caliche the 27's blew them away. Load time, haul time, fill smoother and faster, and can build more on the job. i remember one day a 27 was down and the other 27 moved as much dirt as one of the Bell tractors and the 27 was running single all day!

Mass-X

Hollywood627G: "I was always told and have witnessed first hand that a single 27 is faster then 2"

This is a false statement. If you’re trying to insinuate that one 627 will outrun a pair of 627’s in cycle times, yeah, its a few seconds faster in the cut because it’s only one can to load. If you think running a big fleet of 627’s as singles is a fast way to move dirt, give me the address to your project so I can sit back and eat popcorn while I watch you go out of business.

The entire purpose behind the creation, development and refinement of the 627, 637 and 657 is for them to work in pairs. That’s the reason for the tail hook and bail.

I have spent a lot of time in scraper cuts with a stop-watch. Maybe I should emphasize, A LOT of time in scraper cuts with stop watch. A pair of twins, regardless of size, being run by competent operators should be able to hook up, both load (heaped capacity) and unhook in around 40 seconds. Give or take 5 seconds for slight variations in material types, operator ability, etc.

A single 627 can fill the can level with the top of the can (struck capacity) in about 30 seconds loading alone. Getting the machine heaped will take a steep hill, a mile long cut, or a push-cat. That’s a lot less dirt than if it had a partner push-pulling. Not to mention the excessive wheel slip of a 627 self-loading.

If speed is all that matters; run them as singles and move that dirt fast. But running twin engine scrapers as pairs will move a lot more dirt per cycle (which equates to a lower cost per yard). It’s the superior way to move dirt with twins.

Mass-X

Challenger MT975B

Attachments

• Con- Expo '08 007.jpg
    Con- Expo '08 007.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,751
  • Con- Expo '08 008.jpg
    Con- Expo '08 008.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,750
  • Con- Expo '08 009.jpg
    Con- Expo '08 009.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,741