• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

the old 580B Question

phil4pres

Lol , that ain't even funny pumpguy ... just lil ... welcome to hoe world ... one n same ....

phil4pres

Crank up again without radiator cap looking inside n nothing moving for couple min n turn off , any wisdom from case experts??

phil4pres

Ok , I'm in process of putting new head gasket on , dale has got it on way .. anything should watch for or don't do ?? Or any threads on here has detailed tear down of this?? Thanks for any advice..

I just thought my trusty ol eastwing kept my fingers sore.. don't have nothing on ol Backhoe.. lol

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks swampfoxo .. ya every little bit helps .. you bout have yours where u wanting it?
its been a lil while since ive been on here. I totally redone my rear cylinders and the hoses. repainted it. I'm working on the mid section now. I got it needle gunned up and will be putting a wirewheel to it cause I don't have access to sand blaster and with all those vents and internals I don't want sand in my machine. 90 percent of my hydraulic cylinders have been rebuilt. had both wheels off the ground for 3 days and never leaked down. no body was more surprised than i

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
phil thanks. thers another phil on here he left a lot of info on here I guess he has past haven't seen anything from him since 2011. or so. I am new to these machine. I have never done this before but I'm not scared. I'm an old country boy if bailing wire and duct tape doesn't work it cant be fixed.lol these shuttle are hard to find so I bout 2 of them and put them on a shelf just in case. both units are good but used. hows ur project going. I usually dig hole 8 feet wide 8 ft deep I guess and 15 ft long I burn trees in the hole. I got 12 inch pallet forks on my loader so I can pick up 10 ft trees. plus I dig up stumps. I quit smoking and this backhoe was my reward.

phil4pres

Good deal man, I've still got tackle all hoses except bout 5 but it's on list to do . In middle tearing my engine apart all I can while replacing head gasket, good luck with mid section just got done with it. Jusk , tinkerer, Melban , pumpguy an many others have helped more than they know, can't think them enough, good luck, I'm standing on front tire now cleaning IMG_0786.JPG

phil4pres

When I bought this Backhoe I found this forum and it wouldn't let me login for about a week but let me read Alot stuff that Phil had posted and that's were name came from

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Phil im not gonna tear into mind seems yo do better all the time . The shuttle was i assume slipping. Going uphills no power . I drained the oil and used that super s brand in my shuttle but when i added 2 quarts of automatic trans fluid it seems to behelping it. I think im gonna drain it later and put the hytrans fluid in it. The brakes i need towork on as well ad acrackling noise as im rolling . I wanna think its the balls in the brakes. The crown gear are known to come loose. But anyhow igotta change seals around my brakes. And behind them oil leaking. The hydraulic cylinders are easy to rebuild. Just leave it pinned to the tractor opposite the ram. With the ram unpinned you can easily unsping the gland and ram at the same.time. i got minefrom fox seals. Oldboy treated me right. He orders the seals by the type tractor u got.

phil4pres

My brakes sometimes work n even lock up n 2 nd but sometimes ain't worth flip, I sure wouldn't trust them on nothing steep. You get practiced up on your brakes n I'll let u do mine ... haha

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Well thd sqeaking turns oug yhe hub bearing went out and wS completely gone so j need z new axle. Fyi righr behind ur wheel on the zxle ix a grease fitting
Mine seem to never have had grease added. I just found mine. 300 dollars for the shaft. Gonna change inner and outter bearings both sides.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
If its similar to the 580CK, you'll need a couple of shop built tools to pull the outer bearing and reseat the outer seal. I built what I needed after talking to Dale Weiss at Tractorstuff and reading some good information on this site. You can find the pictures and descriptions on my thread '68 Case Project'. The tool to set the outer seal is described in my Service Manual. The bearing puller idea came from Dale. If you can't find the pictures, I could try and repost them when I get back next week.

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
I pulled both axles. Went through 1 axle to the other side with a long rod and knocked outcthe bearing races aon the outside of both axles. Then i used a chisel to get the races out of the inner bearings.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
SInce my bearings were reused, but a new seal required, I had to carefully pull the bearing off the axle, using the shop built puller. The races remained as they were also good. I did replace both inner and outer seals, where the other shop biilt tool came in handy to reset the outer seal correctly. The grease nipple is between the seal and the bearing. Some on here have suggested a short hydraulic hose to extend the fitting and make it easier to get at, Its position is awkward at the best of times and often overlooked. While I had the axle tube off the rear end housing, I cleaned all the mating surfaces and installed a new 'O' ring. I had some gear oil and a handful of grease in the axle tube inside the seals. Once you're done, you likely won't forget to grease that fitting....

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Oh no ill remembef but i nevrr knew it was there. Damagd was done before i got it. Im redoinv my brakes. I messed up the seal on the passenger side. I found i cut the oring installing it. Im having bad luck.its sunday and gonna trust perries auto will be open tomorrow. I did buy some hy trans fluid from case. I also have some 90 weight oil from tractor supply travellers brand.i am gonna reuse the bearings but im removing the shims. Im checking for movement in and out but also up and down. Im gonna settle with a little movement and pray. If the seals never leak im good. If they do . Lol new bearings will be installed.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Your manual should have the procedure for determining the number of shims on each side. These set the backlash for the differential and transmission pinion. The correct thrust washers on the diff shaft between the side gears and the diff give you the diff and pinion gear backlash. These are all important to get set up correctly in order to avoid issues not too far down the road. Remember to tape over the splines and groove on your side gears to protect the seal when you do the final assembly. I did mine several times without the O ring and seal to get the tolerances correct. These procedures have been discussed here before if you do a search on 580 or 580B.

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
I ordered some thrust washers since I'm on a boat and I only have 2 weeks at home. I'm gonna change out the thrust washers and play with it till my side bearings on my brake shaft is within specs after I check my manual. having read on here. I think I have several steps one is setting up those bearing cleances on the brakes then the pinion gear to ring gear backlash by manipulating the shims I used to set the brake bearing clearances. I'm not politically correct but I think that's right. I think my bearings are good but the thrust washers are worn out. ill play with it if I cant get it where it needs to be I'm assuming new bearings, this is gonna be fun lol. my brother tells me oh its ok just get things a lil tight but free spinning and it be ok. that kinda scares me. doing it like I'm doing I feel better. anyhow. I have dale Weiss sending me a refurb axle. I got bearings seals and races coming. I hope to get this done with when I go home and I'm trying to resist the need to rush. this is just to important . at least I feel it is. anyways I have rebuilt 90 percent of my ctlinders and replaced hoses. its getting stronger to dig stumps. I love it. I bought and put up 2 power shuttles just in case. when I retire ill have them. save my social security lol. any advice or just rambling is well recived. searching on here is a lil hard but theres a lot of info. probably from phil with the backhoe blues. I think something happened to him.