• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

the old 580B Question

phil4pres

Drained front n only bout gallon or so came out but back casing hasn't moved... drill ??

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
When you say front, is that the torque tube where the power shuttle and torque convertor are located? In one picture you posted, I saw that you had the rear cover off above the shuttle. You should find a plug in the bottom of that section and another under the torque convertor at the flywheel. These sections are connected and the pump draws from there, through the screened pickup to supply the torque convertor and the power shuttle. Could ypu see any fluid under the power shuttle? It might have been low? Capacity of with torque convertor is 16 quarts. Rear end with transmission gearbox and rear diff is 17 quarts.

For the choice of oil, I'm not familiar with the brand but as long as it meets the specs, you should be ok. TCH is specified for the hydraulic system and torque convertor / shuttle. Its replacement is Hytran or Hytran Ultra. I'm sure that many of the other brands are the same or close, but I chose to go with Hytran Ultra and have had good service and no issues over the years. Its expensive. For my hydraulic system that runs the loader and how, I use hydraulic oil that I got two sealed 45 gal drums, destined for recycle because the vendor wouldn't take it back into stock. I'm still using the second drum after many years.

Last edited:

phil4pres

My bad jusk totally over looked drain for it , was cleaning n worrying bout other casings . Lol waiting find something bad n them.. usutif it has tranny or tits it gives me extra trouble .. hope fluid got was right it said takes place of hy- tran

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
The rear diff case is vented through the top cover and does not have pressure. Make sure your vent is clean so mo pressure builds up. This could be a source of seal failure? The seat tube has a long spring inside to help raise the seat for using the backhoe. It will lock in the up and down positions. You may find oil inside that tube, but nothing to be concerned about. There is a 'o' ring in the top that is supposed to keep any oil in the tube. Mine was badly worn and got replaced as part of the clean up.

phil4pres

I was thinking it shouldn't b but friend ask me yesterday when he looked at it , thought might act like piston but I should have known that with vent ..

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Intake Manifold gasket or the leaking valve cover gasket above it? If its a 188D, the Case gasket number for the intake manifold is G46871 and the gasket for the valve cover is A43030. These numbers should cross over to one of the common gasket suppliers and be available locally. I got all mine in a gasket set with the overhaul. I see you have an alternator and the tach drive in the block, making yours newer than mine. I have the generator driven tach.

You will need to remove and eventually replace that bare cable for the manifold heater. If the solenoid is operated, that will have direct battery on it and could be the source of a serious fire with oil and maybe fuel on the block.

phil4pres

IMG_0503.PNG I would like take my side cutters n start new with wiring ..I ordered couple rolls wire but they sent 12 gauge n instead 14 .12 would b to big rewire wouldn't it?? It has wire coming back under seat where looks to hook up towards back n on thing in front of gear shifter . What would that wire be for ?? And in other pic wasn't that one u said not to use ether on the one with the heater on side of motor with jusk ? Thought read that some where on yours,

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Phil, The intake manifold heater with the bad wire will get pretty hot when its used, so ether could flash and cause damage. Its operated by a position on the key, much like 'accessory' on a car. The wiring diagram will show how its hooked up. For your wiring, there are several gauges used but 14 would be plenty and is a easy to work with. 12ga, would be fine if you decide to keep it, just uses different crimp on connectors. In electrical, larger isn't a bad thing, except for bending in the big sizes. I have my harness on the bench and in between other things am building a new one. On mine, one part is under the dash and connected with plugs to the section on the tractor.

The neutral safety switch located by the shifter is designed so that when the gear lever is moved to the 'S' position, you can crank the engine to start. This prevents accidents related to the machine being started in gear an moving unexpectedly. There have been serious, if not fatal accidents related to this type of thing in machinery. On my old tractor, the switch was cut off long ago and not been used because of a problem with the shuttle, where I could not shift the gear box with the engine running. I hope that is fixed with the shuttle overhaul. On my 580CK Project thread, there are pictures of why and the repair.

A wiring diagram for your machine with the alternator would be useful in your rewire efforts. I have the generator, so mine will be different.

Have fun...

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Been cool here this spring. We started to say that its fall again but it will warm eventually. We don't want a repeat of last summer with record temps and np rain. This time last year, we had no rain in April at all and it was very dry. May and June did get rain but not enough. I have lost a lot of western red cedar trees, both old and young due to a few years of not much rain. Once it warms a bit more, I will set up to finish and paint the rest of the stuff laying around. The cab and some other panels are still waiting to go to the sandblaster but they aren't required for the initial start up. After today, I'll be away for the rest of the week and no email. Other projects keep getting in the way right now but a few weeks and I can put some time in on the old 580 again.

phil4pres

Thanks swampfoxo .. ya every little bit helps .. you bout have yours where u wanting it?

phil4pres

Finally got all parts n put back together, radiator back on starter back and put on new gaskets on casings under seat , new radiator cap , thermostat. Valve cover gasket, drain gas tank cleaned out lines up to pump took fuel filters off n cleaned them they have not been on long .. fire it up time ............ bleed line down to filter and after long awaited time she fired up ... but still idiling rough .. ( pull my hair out --- if had any ) pumpguy said crack lines open n check out while running, try do that n lil bit , anything else could try or overlooking.. thanks

phil4pres

Ok more bad juju , crank up n less 5 min was blowing water out overflow , after all done ...... can someone tell me something other than head ......