• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid Steer + CTL Pictures!

durallymax

Sorry, I don't have an action pic as of yet. I still need to change fluids and filters and familiarize myself a little more with the machine. But this is my L190 as it sits in the barn with its 17 inch tires I put on thanks to our good friend Tim who helped me to find them. :)

Humm, don't know why it didn't transfer the pic. :confused:

You have to insert the image in the advanced editor. Click the insert image, then click from URL and past the image URL.

007_zpscc5581df.jpg

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Nice L190, looks like you have the tread going the wrong way on the tires.

Grit

Nice L190, looks like you have the tread going the wrong way on the tires.
Really? Would that be from the way they put them on or the way I put them on? I didn't even think about that. Or notice it. :eek:

nedly05

Heres mine. '05 247B, 1100 hrs. Handy little bugger, really strong too.

Attachments

• 247 cat.JPG
    247 cat.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 1,546

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Chevrons should be going forward for max traction going forward. I have seen some guys put the tread going the wrong way on one axle, I guess to have equal traction in both directions.

Grit

They all look the same or are running in the same direction. I had to really look at the lugs carefully to notice a difference. The way they are mounted now is if you are facing the front of the machine, you can see 3 slightly raised ridges along the outside of the lugs. The backside of the lugs (still facing the front of the machine) is smooth faced with no taper. There is also a slight taper where the ridges are in the lug. I hope you can visualize what I am describing.

Nice Cat, nedly. I wished I had the pockets for a tracked machine.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Here's my T250 backfilling a storm line -

IMG_1225.jpg

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Really? Would that be from the way they put them on or the way I put them on? I didn't even think about that. Or notice it. :eek:

Looks like you need to switch the left side to right side and visa-versa. The "v" look of the traed should be towards the front of the machine.

Grit

Looks like you need to switch the left side to right side and visa-versa. The "v" look of the traed should be towards the front of the machine.

What's the worst that could happen if I left them the way they are? I don't want to highjack this thread so quick answer the best. From anyone. Thanks.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Hand/foot controls or joystick? I'm always interested in what guys run.

Hand/foot - I'm old school, been running that pattern for 28 years. I dread the day I have to learn to run a CTL with joysticks..:cool:

What's the worst that could happen if I left them the way they are? I don't want to highjack this thread so quick answer the best. From anyone. Thanks.

Don't worry about a thread hijack, I do it all the time - and it's a good question.:D

To answer your question, it will accelerate tire wear. The outer lugs will come into contact with the ground first with a sharper angle at the edge of the tire. This can rip or chip the outside of the lug.

JNB

Occupation
What CM said...and they won't self clean in anything sticky.

JNB

Occupation
Hand/foot - I'm old school, been running that pattern for 28 years. I dread the day I have to learn to run a CTL with joysticks..:cool:

Understandable. I cut my teeth on skiploaders and older track loaders. I never got the whole using my feet to pickup stuff and walking on my hands deal, so joysticks were a natural for me. :D

Grit

CM, thank you for understanding. Looks like I'll have to switch them out then. Don't want any more wear than need be. Boy I don't look forward to wrestling with those big boys, either, but better them than those loaded tires. Wow! I'll have to be sure and eat my wheaties that day.

Anyway, I appreciate the help, as always, and why didn't you guys tell me this before I put them on? You guys know I'm a rookie. :D

durallymax

Understandable. I cut my teeth on skiploaders and older track loaders. I never got the whole using my feet to pickup stuff and walking on my hands deal, so joysticks were a natural for me. :D

Thats why its the ISO pattern, makes more sense for people coming from other equipment. I used to use every limb to operate an SSL. The transisiton was tough, everyone around here hated it for awhile. We switched every machine at the same time so they couldn't just park the new one and not use it. A year later and there isn't as much complaining. The ones who complain a little bit still say they like how they don't feel worn out at the end of a day.

Don't worry about a thread hijack, I do it all the time - and it's a good question.:D

To answer your question, it will accelerate tire wear. The outer lugs will come into contact with the ground first with a sharper angle at the edge of the tire. This can rip or chip the outside of the lug.

When on powered axles yes it accellerates wear. On non powered it can extend it though. Traction and cleanout will not be as good.

The advantage is that in theory you wont get yourself stuck as bad and can back out, but with an SSL thats what the buckets for.