• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seriously upsetting

aighead

I don't know much about EV other than it seems like a very unrealistic plan to replace combustion engines. That being said, the powers that be are pushing in that direction but I'm inclined to believe that the EV vehicle trend will be more or less skipped for hydrogen powered vehicles. I'd be learning as much as I could about them and be up front on the mechanicing of them if I were doing such things. I don't know anything about hydrogen power either, so I don't know if they are maintenance free as EV claim to be.

We'll still need body shops and mechanics to do stuff like tire changes, brake jobs, etc. for quite a while. I also think there'll be holdouts to the electric revolution for years and years to come. It'll have to be very expensive to turn me away from good ol' gas or diesel.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
What I can see coming, is a similar system to what the UK, EU,CN and AU use, Certified Technician papers to do anything on a Machine or any function save changing a lamp bulb. Home Owners Ruled Incapable where would be fined if caught, Gets that headed in that direction the SWHTF.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
What I can see coming, is a similar system to what the UK, EU,CN and AU use, Certified Technician papers to do anything on a Machine or any function save changing a lamp bulb. Home Owners Ruled Incapable where would be fined if caught, Gets that headed in that direction the SWHTF.
I can see that happening, especially if they pull some BS like saying you don't actually "own" the vehicle when you buy it. Then they can say you're not authorized to maintain it.

I'm not at all opposed to EVs, I just don't want to be forced into something which is not able to perform on the level I need it to. I certainly don't want to pay almost 1.5x the price for it either. Technology will get there but I'm not interested until it does if that makes sense.

Old Doug

Its headed that way because of several things . Over complicated stuff less people wanting to diy manafactures not wanting stuff to be repaired .

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The commercial general liability issue DM first posted with EV's is the elephant in the room for electric vehicles.

One wrecker service was explained to remove any Tesla or Prius or Leaf as well any forth coming machines from their conventional storage lot, would be required to be sequestered from anyone else's machines for liability.

For instance when the wife and I go down to Biloxi for the weekend we take her car as the Beau Rivage has rules against parking a truck with a slip tank in the bed in the parking deck. It has to be parked in the open lot across the street.

Interesting to see if this type of rule ever applies to EVs for similar reasons.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
zzzzz-s-cheese.jpeg I'm not down with this global agenda. Climate change may or may not be real. I'm not sold on it. We have made tremendous improvements in vehicle emissions in just my lifetime. I remember waking up and seeing a grey/brown fog just hanging over Chicago. Now. It's clear as a bell on any given day. Used to be your eyes were burning from sitting in traffic, not so, now.
This whole big push for EV, even aftrr witnessing so many flooded cars burst into flames down south. How about the super cold snap we had at the beginning of winter? People had their heaters cranking and didn't understand why their range dropped significantly. I'll cling to my ICEs , I'd welcome hydrogen power if they can establish a safe infrastructure to support them. LPG CNG & the like are good alternatives. Why aren't they being pursued. The idiots in power act like electricity is free and clean. They're not authorizing any new nuke plants, fining coal plants out of existence, overworking existing hydroelectric plants. These people think the wind boondoggle is our saving grace. That and solar. What about maintenance on wind mills? I hear there's quite a bit of oil in each of those generators. How long do PV panels last? Where are they made, who profits? Thanks, but no. I think gas and diesel have a long life ahead of them. Just my humble opinion

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
One other thing showing up with insurance companies is that they are getting selective on the brands of cars they will insure. Hyundai and Kia are very easy to steal so insurance companies in this state are threatening that they will decline to insure them. My question concerns whether or not insurance companies are allowed to turn down your business.

There were three people responsible for starting Tesla. I was told at conference that the forth person hired at Tesla was Musk and that the first three are now gone. One of those people started a company dedicated to recycling batteries. One of the others started a different company dedicated to recycling the cars themselves. All part of the plan?

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Lots of miss information on EVs whether you for or against them. Dmiller added some new things to think about. I don't think any changes in insurance or anything that puts EVs in a bad light will be "general knowledge". IE all of our premiums will just rise to cover the costs of the risks of those that choose to have EV's. There will be no Riders or "EV fees". After all your taking about industries that are regulated and licensed by our government and foreign governments. They know it's best for them not to rock the boat.
The USA car culture is about to change a big way. Things that we think are not possible could easily happen. I biggest reason for thinking this is looking at today's younger generations. I got family and employees that didn't start driving until well into there 20s and the hate it on top of that.
I'm not sure how accurate the information I saw was on hydrogen but the issue is fuel storage. Tank sizes make it problematic.

As far as power generation is concerned look at TX. Since we have our own grid you can see what "green" energy has done to us. As if a few years ago wasn't bad enough this year we got hammered again. The true issue with our grid was a bit more clear this year though. The worst affected area is Austin. They have their own green power grid "separate" from the rest of the state.

The only thing constant in life is change... like it or not.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can state what my own insurance rep sent us in a Form Letter from MO FB, DO NOT place a EV or any form of Lithium Battery fed device inside the Home Garage. All my LiIon tool batteries or in the shop on a metal chest or on a charge rack on a metal structure. Home Owners policy will be VOIDED should a EV be placed within a Insured Structure on the property, rep reinforced the Company will cancel any and all policies where a EV is placed, Will NOT insure EVs at all..

Truck Shop

Below is just probably a best example of true/constant renewable energy.

Turbine at Lower Granite Dam on the Snake River. Weight 400 tons with 6 adjustable Kaplan blades.
Once the water flows past this turbine it flows to the next and the next dams on the Snake and Columbia
Rivers. The actual cost to repair one of these turbines compared to the amount of revolutions plus
hydroelectric power it's generated over the years is peanuts.

328104654_600553135216783_2078732091584897948_n.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
There is conflicting information on the percentage of power being used by source. This one strikes me as the most realistic.
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/electricity/electricity-in-the-us.php

It shows coal as 22% of all. There is a graph showing the percentages for renewables as well.

Here is the best chart and it has been updated annually for over 50 years.

https://www.energy.gov/sites/default/files/2022-08/Energy_2021_United-States_0.png

Energy_2021_United-States_0.png