• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Serial number guide?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Michigan S/N

The year of manufacture for a Michigan 175 Series III with the S/N of C6HG9-16 is not listed in my book. However, S/No's C7HG9-17 to C7HG9-29 were manufactured in 1967.
The earliest 6HG S/No's shown are 1965, but these earlier S/No's follow a different numbering pattern, with 1965 manufacture of 6HG S/No machines being 6HG101 to 6HG190.

Many manufacturers "jumped" whole blocks of numbers, to make it appear that they were manufacturing more machines than they actually were, to the "opposition" manufacturers.
In addition, changing the serial numbering system or pattern, to a different style, also ensured confusion amongst competitive manufacturers .. who were always keen to see how many machines a competitor was building and selling.
Allis Chalmers and IHC were notorious for this, but they weren't orphans when it came to the technique.
Add in typos in records, and incomplete records (caused by fires or sloppy recording) and you have a whole new ball game trying to track down S/N info.

Caterpillar have the best S/N records, with their publication "Serial/Product Identification Number Index" book being a very valuable source of info. You can acquire older copies from eBay sellers from time to time, for a reasonable sum, usually around $20-25.

The book I refer to frequently is the AED S/N book. Older copies are useful, but they don't appear often. No S/N book or record is 100% accurate, they all have errors and typos, and you have to cross-check to ensure a degree of accuracy.

ridgelane

Occupation
Rancher
Thanks. Ball park date of manufacture is cose enough. This machine is confusiing me in more ways than one. I've tried to find pictures of this particular model and haven't had any luck. I've found the 175A, B and C series but my loader doesn't look like any of them. Must be a model that was made to test changes before committing to full scale production.

OldBlue03

I'd be thankful if one of you knowledgeable folks out there help me determine the year of a CASE 860 Trencher I'm looking to buy. It seems to be in good mechanical condition with its Cummins 3.9 Turbo diesel engine. It's equiped with a backhoe and trencher and I'm also interested in knowing what the exact horsepower and total weight for this equipment. The Serial Number (PIN) is JAF0363650. I've heard that CASE equipment can be determined with the year made by the first couple of characters in the S/N. Can someone please help me out here ?!

CAT-GUYS-GURL

I recently had a creepy man show up at my house offering me $500 for my driveway marker ~ I have a D8 Cat engine on skids that was used as a power plant to run a sawmill years ago. The engine has a 2 cyl hand crank gas pup. I am looking to identify what year the Cat engine is using the serial number on the engine itself. Everywhere I have looked it only offers info on the iron itself, not just the engine. Here is what I have and what the brass plaque says, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tractor Number 8R922
1B1928 (on bottom of the plaque)

on the injection pump it says 21P1731

Im also curious how much $$ something like that would go for ...

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Hi, Cat-Guys-Gurl - The "creepy man" was most likely a scrap man, and your driveway marker would sure be of a great deal of interest to him. :D
The "Tractor Number" of 8R922 shows that this engine came from a Caterpillar D8 tractor, 8R series, that was built in early 1942 (8R is the tractor series prefix number, and 922 makes it the 922nd tractor built in that model - which was first produced in 1941).

1942 production records for the 8R series D8 shows that production ran from 8R343 to 8R2731 that year. It was a busy year for building Cat D8's, as the military forces had chosen the Cat D8 and Cat D7 as their primary big crawler tractors.
Cat produced this model engine (the D13000) in Industrial form, but the serial number for D13000 engines was different to the tractor engine serial numbers, as the tractor engines used the same serial number as the tractor chassis in this era.
There were about 9 different serial number prefixes for the range of D13000 Industrial engines.

The value is very dependent on engine condition. For an engine that has been out in the weather for years, $500 is a good start figure. The engine is most likely stuck (internally rusted, so that it does not turn), and thus needs a lot of TLC.
If the engine has been stored under cover and starts and runs, then maybe $1000 would be more like the value. There's not a lot of demand for these engines, as D8's are not popular restorations, due to the cost of moving them around.

The engine may be sought by someone as a static display, that is started and run for onlookers pleasure. Once again, the sheer weight of this huge chunk of metal means that only a few people would be interested in it, for this reason.
The engine, complete with pup and radiator weighs around 5,600 lbs, and this weight is what interests scrap men.

The number 1B1928 is the part number of the brass plaque, and the number 21P1731 is the part number for the fuel injection pump group.

Last edited:

queen of spades

Looking for the year model of a Cat D4 serial 7U37878. Has a D4D winch and no blade - engine runs and tracks spin freely. Owner wanting $2800 for it.. want to see what model this is before going further. Can someone look that up for me?

diggerdave1958

Hi, queen of spades. I checked the Serial number guide and the D4-7U37878 was made in the US in 1956. In 1956 they made from Serial number 35570 thur 39596 in the 7U Series. Hope this helps ??

queen of spades

Hi, queen of spades. I checked the Serial number guide and the D4-7U37878 was made in the US in 1956. In 1956 they made from Serial number 35570 thur 39596 in the 7U Series. Hope this helps ??
Yes, thanks - think I'll skip out on this one - hoping to find something a little newer.

dpaustin

Occupation
Director, End-User Products
Yes, thanks - think I'll skip out on this one - hoping to find something a little newer.

Good fast reply DiggerDave! I just came back from looking this up too. At www.topbid.com, we also show that as a 1956 model. It looks like a fair price for the machine, but it looks like you've moved on. It's been quite a while since we saw this model at auction: CATERPILLAR D4 7U14036 1951 USD $4,000 (WAYNE PIKE AUCTION CO. PRINCETON, MN 6/10/2006)

dpaustin

Occupation

dpaustin

Occupation
Does your guide list engine family names also, specificly for California and CARB requirements

Sorry, no this information is not available in our guides. I'm checking if I can find a central resource for this info but so far no luck. Thanks for asking!