• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

hanlon

If you are going to take the ripper on and off maybe use the kiwi attachment (in previous threads)to your dozer.I used a 6 way diverter from England 1/2 inch BSP and tapped into front blade circuit. Hoses and fittings from USA. Don't forget its not a D9.I had some photos on previous post they don't workdoz4.jpghyd ram.jpg

John25mm

I hear you about it not being a D9. The great thing about this dozer is it can fit between trees and not damage a whole lot of stuff as it goes. You can move a fair amount of dirt it just takes longer. If I need bigger I have access to a Case 450 that my Brother-in –Law has. My problem is where I am using it is in Southeastern Ohio and the soil has a lot of clay in it. It is in patches and when the blade comes across one of them it digs in and nose dives down making some serious whoop de whoops. It is like a chisel digging in the grain of wood. I am looking at maybe a three blade version to break the soil up a little before moving it. As to the 3 point hitch it would be more for light duty applications at worst I would tow a small dump trailer (1.5 yards) with gravel to build up roads being built. This would keep the tractor from digging in and making ruts before the road even gets started. You have no idea how much I would like to have the sheepsfoot in the left of one of your photos for a month or so. It would make my life so much easier.

hanlon

The brand of 6 way diverter is flowfit from flowfitonline UK I used 1/2 bspp for flow 90 litres/min but hoses are 3/8" because 1/2" too big in diameter I believe you only need large flow if something is rotating.The valve is what they call open center , not sure if it makes any difference if its open or closed center the way it is in system .Mine works ok so it must be right.Where I put the valve I had to put a extension to the shaft and refit the control handle.The 16mm bolts are course thread 2.0 diverter valve.jpg There is so much to explain this will take some time.I still haven't ripped anything yet ,I put 5 tines on but may only use 3.

John25mm

Looks great and thanks for the info. Sound like you thought this out and are using good materials. I can't wait to dig into doing this myself. I hate to be a pain and I hope you don't mind my picking your brain.

RCMEDIA

Hey guys I am new to the forum and joined because I am thinking of getting a Volvo L20 loader I jumped in because I have owned a D 21 for some 15 years now and never had any problems at all. Mine is hydro shift, its real sweet no clutch needed jus slide her in gear. I store mine in a steel building and it runs as good as the day I bought her. Since Im looking at a new loader I might consider selling her if there is any interested parties email me or call and Ill shoot some pictures. If anyone has questions I would be happy to answer them the D21 is a perfect size machine not too small and not too big it can be hauled with a pickup truck.

Mike 540-721-3124

Here's a image of my machine if anyone is interested call me at 540-721-3124 the machine is in Blairsville Ga

Attachments

• DSC_0861.jpg
    DSC_0861.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC_0866.jpg
    DSC_0866.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC_0869.jpg
    DSC_0869.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC_0876.jpg
    DSC_0876.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 480

wagnon89

Have any of you put mechanical oil pressure gauges on your D20/D21? If so, where did you hook up to to get the reading?

Thanks,
Justin

oldtom

Occupation
diesel equipment maintenancesuperviser
My D40P-5's forward/reverse lever (mechanical transmission) has started "falling out" of engagement. If the dozer is on an incline and not under a load it slips out of gear. It isn't jumping out it simply falls out. It always felt like there was a detent or click when engaging it but now is smooth and I can keep in gear by simply keeping my leg against it. I pulled the deck up and inspected the linkage hoping what ever held it in gear was external to the transmission but it appears to be internal. I'm concerned that a spring or something has either fatigued or broken and will cause internal damage.

There is hardly any info on the internet on this model. I'm hoping a forum member can give me some advice on what is happening.

check for broken detent spring if so rplace all with new ones should be able to get print out and parts from komatsu?

keito

I have a D21A6 and throttle cable is stuck. Can anyone give me some ideas? I tried spraying with lubricant to no avail. Thanks for the info!
I created this thread to hopefully discuss komatsu dozers, in order to help people like myself that have a komatsu dozer and have questions about them.

John25mm

I have a D20A5 and if it is like mine was where you would be bending large heavy things to get it to move I would just replace it. I tried to do the whole lube thing and it was a no go. I would check to if it was the cable before anything by unhooking it from first the actual throttle to see if it moves or not then do the same with it at the handle end. Mine was just jammed up somewhere in the cable itself. I finally replaced mine and it was maybe a twenty minute job and made life so much easier. I got mine off of Ebay and I think I paid $75.00 for it.

hxmendoza

Hello All,

New to this site, I own a D20P-6, serial# 67083 and am wondering what year model this is? Having trouble locating Komatsu services near Alice,Tx.

Anyone know of any reasonable service companies where I can bring my dozer for service, please let me know.

Thanks,
hm,
hecxmen@hotmail.com

mattrtking

Hey, New to the site. Just purchased a komatsu d20p. I lost a track on my hill due to a sapling catching between my idler and track. I went to collapse the cylinder and pull the idler in. But it appears the yoke is completely rusted into the tube. I've been beating and pulling and prying trying to free it up with no luck at all. I've even tried hooking my 4x4 ram to it and yanking it loose as I use the blade in the machine to assist with pulling power .

Today I tried heating the tube and the only progress that has given me was all of the grease oozed out of the hole where the grease fitting was. So I could then fill the cylinder with pb blaster. I left it full and tighend a come along to the blade as tight as I could get it with a 3 foot cheater. I will let it sit over night. Hopefully it make breakfast loose in its own. If not I am out of ideas. And clever suggestions from you highly intelligent people would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mitch504

cut a log the right length to fit between the blade and idler wheel. then use blade angle to push the idler in.

Stupid question of the day: you have been trying to push the idler wheel toward the back of the machine, haven't you?

Russ F.

Newbie here. Just picked up a D20A-6 and had a few questions.

How wide (top to bottom) is a new wear blade? Mine has been flipped once, and about 4-5/8 inches with beveled and rounded ends. Is it time to replace it?

I found this website looking for info on rippers for the machine. Goldmine!!!! As an owner of a CNC/Manual machine shop with access to CNC frame cutting, I could have a lot of fun with this new toy. Now if I could just find someone to run the shop for me so I can go play.:)

mattrtking

Ok. I got the track back on. Cylinder is frozer solid. Would it be a bad idea to tighten the track temporarily by putting 3/4" spacers or grade 8 washers between where the idler wheel mount bolts to the yoke. I assume I will need longer bolts as well. Any clue what size these bolts are? This would be a temporary fix until I get the money to replace the adjuster.

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
mattrtking, here is a parts page for the recoil spring assembly. You can access this yourself at http://komatsupartsbook.com/#?k=!0!2!1064!44!50. Are you talking about using longer bolts and washers to replace part number 19? If so, I would think that would work temporarily until you can get a replacement assembly, or have that one repaired. I posted a link back on page 128 for a parts D20-P on Craigslist that is located here in East Texas. I don't know where you are located, so it may not be feasible for you to get to this location and buy the assembly you need from this machine, but I just wanted you to be aware of it. Not even sure the guy would sell just a part of it. I checked the link earlier and it is still active. I wish you luck with it.

mattrtking

Yes. Turns out I only needed to move the idler 1/4" . I went ahead and put 3 washers in between to act as spacers. It worked like a charm. I'll check the link. Thanks for the reply.

tpitt

Occupation
Heavy fire equip operator
I would like to add a decelerator to my 1995 D21a-7. Anyone ever done this?