• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

cattracks

You Sir are....A man among men!!!! Thanks, big time

Ya know...approx 1983 we were like neighbours. I lived in Palestine for just about a year and a half. Worked for BJ Hughes, Harris Paving and a small contractor in the town just north (????) Lang and Mitchell. Moved there from Alaska and my name was "Damned Yank" Could it be Elkhart, hell I don't remember but, used to cement oil wells in your neck of the Piney woods!! :)

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Above Palestine is Montalba, Frankston, and Athens. It's pretty country here, in my opinion. Alaska is much better looking for sure, but a heck of a lot colder, which I cannot handle. I'll take the 105 degree Summer days over freezing weather any day.

I moved here in 2005. Was stuck in Shreveport, LA for the entire 23 years of my career with General Electric. As soon as I quit that job, I started looking for a job over here to get out of that city and back to God's country. We have lived in the same home in Longview since we moved here, but bought 69 acres of rolling hills, East Texas countryside down close to Henderson, and that is where we will soon start building our retirement home. Our shop has been up since December 2012, and we just finished building a small apartment in the back of it so we can live there while our house is built. We have been staying in the apartment over the weekends, but should move to it full time in July and put the house on the market.

I got some really good pictures of the tracks on the dozer for you that I took after cleaning it. I'll post them below and also add a picture of the first pond I'm building. Most of it was done with the little Komatsu, but my neighbor deepened the middle of it with a trackhoe for me. I still have a bit of dirt to add on the dam, but that will come later. There is lots of red dirt around it right now, as I am still grading and such, but hopefully the grass with take over after I am done.

If you need any other views of the dozer, just holler.

DSCF2172.jpg
DSCF2173.jpg
DSCF2175.jpg
IMG_0320.jpg

cattracks

Sweet pics and...I like the pond!! Did you happen to get a measurement?

Frankston is the one, couldn't remember, been too long. Perfect, you're doin it right imho. Shop up apartment inside to hang until the house is built...only way to fly. I'm going to assume that the pond is stocked?? I built one here out at the tree farm but, I can't keep the locals out of it....fish stealin little ****s that they are. ergh Sure wish I had those rails and single grouser pads. :)

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Thanks Cat, and dang it, no, I forgot to make the measurements. I will be back out there Wednesday and will do my best to remember to do it. I had a lot on my mind this weekend as we were working on sewer line and field line ditches with my neighbor and his backhoe.

The pond is not stocked yet as it still gets pretty muddy after a heavy rain with all that red dirt that the water runs through on the way to it. I'm trying to get grass growing in places where I'm done, but I still have another foot of dam to add and we're planning on digging out a bit more of it in one corner and making a shallow area for the fish to breed in with some gravel on top of the dirt. I have plans for another pond below this one that will be about an acre. That one will be the main fish pond. But that is a project a year or two down the line. I doubt I will have any problems with people fishing in either pond as they are well off the beaten path. It's about a quarter mile from the farm to market road to the house and pond areas with a gate on the way.

cattracks

Not a problem, whenever it fits or...you think of it!!

My parts did come in for the rollers, now I just need to get them shipped to me. I will continue my search for those rails and pads.

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Ok, I got the measurements you needed. Here are four pictures with the tape showing the height above the tracks. The first two are of the front guide, or whatever it is called, and the last two are of the rear guide. I hope this is what you need. If not, let me know. I will be out here for another day or two and can get more measurements or pictures, if needed.

iPhonePics 124.jpg

iPhonePics 123.jpg

iPhonePics 125.jpg

iPhonePics 126.jpg

hayes1179

Hey guys..I just bought a kamotsu d20p. It's a 97 model and I'm having trouble with my left break hanging in reverse. I've tried adjusting the breaks that didn't help me any. It's working normally while turning tracking forward. Any info on this would be very helpfull.

hayes1179

Hey guys..I just bought a kamotsu d20p. It's a 97 model and I'm having trouble with my left break hanging in reverse. I've tried adjusting the breaks that didn't help me any. It's working normally while turning tracking forward. Any info on this would be very helpfull.

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
You are welcome cat.

Cav, there is no grease fitting on my rollers with which to grease them. I seem to remember reading something way back in the early posts of this forum that said some of the rollers are sealed and never need greasing, but I may be wrong about that. My memory slips at times.

Hayes, I have never heard of that symptom with the brakes before. Do you mean to say that when you are in reverse and you apply the left brake, it will not release until you go forward again? If so, I'm wondering if the steering clutch on that side was installed correctly. I can imagine that it could have something not right that causes it to bind in reverse so that it will not free up until the steering clutch is turning the other way. Or, I guess it could possibly be something hanging in the linkage between the steering handle and the brake actuator. Have you pulled the seat and floor plates to take a look at the linkage? I have heard of people finding all kinds of things down in there that don't belong. I'm just throwing out ideas here. I really don't know what could do that. Good luck with it. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in here.

cavalier

Occupation
steelworker
There are bolts that you remove to add oil . I was wondering why grease couldn't be used , like spindles on a trailer . I could drill and tap the bolts for zerk fittings , or use adapters. ... Maybe the zerks would get knocked off ?

cattracks

There are bolts that you remove to add oil . I was wondering why grease couldn't be used , like spindles on a trailer . I could drill and tap the bolts for zerk fittings , or use adapters. ... Maybe the zerks would get knocked off ?
Carrier rollers and bottom rollers are sealed units (to the best of my knowledge) are you having problems with them or...is this a PM deal?

cavalier

Occupation
steelworker
No problems - just an attempt at preventive maintenance ... For example , the dozers are rated for 10-wt. oil for the hydraulic system , yet pros in the industry suggest using hydraulic-fluid . It just seems more practical to shoot some grease into the rollers whenever greasing other dozer fittings , like 'bearing-buddies ' on a fishing boat trailer .

hayes1179

Thanks cat. I have checked all the linkages. Didn't see anything wrong. And it happens as soon as u apply the left break in reverse. It will unstick if u apply the clutch and let off. Sometimes it does not free up antill u go forward. It could be something installed wrong. I don't really know any history on the machine. Thank u for the help.

hayes1179

Well I think I have found the problem. Got a guy to come check it out. And he made a few calls to a komatsu mech. And the outcome seems to be the left steering clutches are completly shot. So I will be having to order parts soon. Any suggestion on where to order from and about what I'll be looking to spend would be helpfull. Thanks

Bezarker

New to the forum, I have a buddy who owns a Komatsu P21D and rats seem to have eaten all of the wires and pretty much anything that's chewable. Any chance one of you gents have a wiring schematic for this bad boy? Any help would be appreciated for my friend is an older guy who is about to give up on his machine.

mitch504

What is the dash number (-5,-6,-7, etc) after the model (which is probably D21p)? I have the diagram for a -6 machine. The -6 is a very simple electrical system. If you don't see a dash number, what is the serial number?

wagnon89

What is the dash number (-5,-6,-7, etc) after the model (which is probably D21p)? I have the diagram for a -6 machine. The -6 is a very simple electrical system. If you don't see a dash number, what is the serial number?

Sorry to hijack. I've been looking over this thread for quite some time trying to resolve the issues on my little dozer. I have a -6 model and could desperately use that wiring diagram! It was rigged up with a two wire starting system (as in touch two wires together to start) when I got it. The alternator was bypassed as well for some reason. I plan to do a write up of all the stuff I've been doing to the dozer here soon.

Mitch if you could email me that wiring diagram that would be awesome!
wagnon89@gmail.com

Thanks,
Justin