• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pushloading scrapers

vapor300

I dont think he is pushing them in 3rd, hes just backing up and and catching them in 3rd then down shifting to 2nd or 1st, theres no way he push a f1 in 3rd, it bogged down to bad.

100 loads in an hour huh??? How far were they going 50ft??? I find this hard to believe, we had 2 10R's and an 8T pushing 17 631's this summer and the highest load count we got was 750. thats 75 loads an hour with 3 dozers. Ive never even heard of a dozer pushing 100 loads an hour. 1000 loads a day? with 2 scrapers, Come on! Those 2 scapers are movin 40,000 yards a day??? :rolleyes:

Gavin84w

Vapor, i think you might be mixing up my numbers a bit there and i apologise if that is how it seems i put them in the context of the post.

If a single D10N can push 2 51,s in a minute then on a 50 minute hour there,s your 100 loads, simple math, sure the dirt needs to be spot on but i never said only with 2 scrapers! It depends on the haul how many scrapers you need.

Here is the link to the video, he catches the pushpad on the first scoop at about 15 seconds and begins reversing off the 2nd scraper at at about 1.17 and you can clearly see he has a few seconds delay beetween scrapers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gavin84w?feature=mhum#p/f/90/qvrSg6PNTX8

Scrub Puller

Yair...had to grin at a comment there about tandem pushing. I was a fitter/spare operator and what all on a nice little dirt job a long time ago. The dirt boss was a Texan and he had a bee in his bonnet about tandem pushing. We had a motely mix of subbies with Cats and Wabcos, one bloke had a couple of Green Lizards and there was an Allis chalmers some thing to make life interesting.

It was still the days of cable blade and stick shift and I was pushing with an Allis twenty one which are a bit more nimble than the common or garden variety D8's they were using for pushcats. Tex insisted that that I be tag man for this tandem pushing caper.

They built push blocks for the D8 rippers and Tex gave us the drum on tandem pushing complete with diagrams on the wall.
It worked okay I suppose but I still think the concept is B/S. I pointed out after the first day they would have got more production if the toolbox session had been on how to set an alarm clock than than how to tandem push a scoop...two of the twenty ones had idled for forty minutes on the sevice pad waiting for jockeys.

If a job has been bid that tight that a few seconds per load is going to make any difference to the bottom line I think the outfit should stick to landscaping with a wheeling can...that way they won't get into too much trouble.

vapor300

Tandem pushing comes in handy thou if you are having to push up hill or if you are in hard material. And before i get flammed for pushing uphill, we all have had to dig a lake or retention pond before, you have to push uphill when building one of those.

Gavin84w

Yair...had to grin at a comment there about tandem pushing. I was a fitter/spare operator and what all on a nice little dirt job a long time ago. The dirt boss was a Texan and he had a bee in his bonnet about tandem pushing. We had a motely mix of subbies with Cats and Wabcos, one bloke had a couple of Green Lizards and there was an Allis chalmers some thing to make life interesting.

It was still the days of cable blade and stick shift and I was pushing with an Allis twenty one which are a bit more nimble than the common or garden variety D8's they were using for pushcats. Tex insisted that that I be tag man for this tandem pushing caper.

They built push blocks for the D8 rippers and Tex gave us the drum on tandem pushing complete with diagrams on the wall.
It worked okay I suppose but I still think the concept is B/S. I pointed out after the first day they would have got more production if the toolbox session had been on how to set an alarm clock than than how to tandem push a scoop...two of the twenty ones had idled for forty minutes on the sevice pad waiting for jockeys.

If a job has been bid that tight that a few seconds per load is going to make any difference to the bottom line I think the outfit should stick to landscaping with a wheeling can...that way they won't get into too much trouble.

It,s interesting you mention the topic of tandem pushing in "Australia" Untill the advent of things like youtube i had not understood the advantages of cushion blades and just brushed them off as a US only type thing because in over 30 years of being around earthmoving in Au i had never seen one. The australian way and i have seen this with many contractors is to have the scraper come into the cut skimming the bowl getting a couple of free cubes and keeping things fairly tidy and then stop and wait for the dozer to tag up.

Twin power P/P usually hook up on the run and i want you to hold that thought for a minute.

After seeing many vids on Youtube (primarily posted by Ken on his SoCal site) i did not see 1 single power open bowl scraper stopped waiting for a dozer (AU style) to get to it and 99% of the dozers pushing had cushion blades and some set up with 2 dozers double pushing. As with trucks scrapers do not make money when they are not moving dirt from A to B, the inherant advantage with scrapers is they are on the move while loading where as trucks are sitting still so the more you can keep the cycle ticking the better you are.

Now also while trawling through youtube it seems the French are big scraper operators as well and a number of videos show at least 6 - 10 different companies all using cushion blade equipped D10,s with 31,s but the difference to the US style is they tag up in what i would describe as Australian style and when you watch it there seems to be little advantage to having the cushion blade as compared to Australian contarctors (with SU blades) and even less when compared to how it is used in the US (Primarily California, the scraper capital of the world)

The US style as i will call it see,s the scraper and dozer tagging up on the move, just like you would see pushpulls as mentioned earlier and when you watch it a few times the advantage is as obvious as the nose on your face, try this video for a good example of it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gavin84w?feature=mhum#p/f/140/7VhqBXwmzLs

I truely believe that if an Australian contractor adopted the Californian style (think of it as the back scraper in a PP set up being the dozer) they would be moving dirt quantities far in excess of what they do today but i think there are a couple of fears that the tractors versatility is compromised with it having a cushion blade along with a "thats how we have always done it" attitude that stops this concept from getting over the line.

Great to hear peoples thoughts from other parts of the world on this and to me this is what forums are all about as opposed to some that just turn into pi$$ing contests

Scrub Puller

Yair...hey Gavin interesting comments. I reckon tandem pushing is a SoCal thing although Hamblins played around with it on the Fairbairn dam in Qld...I think it would have been about 1972. They had a couple of gees set up with rippers and rubber push blocks instead of blades...they were known as "pigs"

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
You don't need a cushion blade to catch scrapers on the move. It just makes life nicer for the scraper hand. You just catch them with the blade up high so the stinger can ride up the curve of the blade. That acts as a cushion then you just start dropping the blade down to where it should be.

I can get over not seeing that L and N not rolling some coal damn CARB BS. Smoke was one of the things I used for timing and a good indicator of things in a scraper spread.

vapor300

Its not just a Socal thing, we have 15 D10's all have cushin blades on them except the 2 new T's and half of them have push blocks on the back and the other half have rippers, and most of are work is around illinois, texas, oklahoma, and Kansas

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I think our friends in Australia meant the USA it certainly isn't just a Socal thing

Kman9090

Just replying to the 100 loads a hour, but I have never seen that done. I've seen some good push cat guys and have never even heard of 1 D10 cranking out 900 loads a day. The company I work for runs D10's and 631's and they are a very succesful company. I'm not saying it can't be done but we had a spread of 16 631's and 2 D10's with a scraper with them at all times and we were getting about 800 loads a day out of both D10's. I'd really like to see the video, any links?

Gavin84w

Just replying to the 100 loads a hour, but I have never seen that done. I've seen some good push cat guys and have never even heard of 1 D10 cranking out 900 loads a day. The company I work for runs D10's and 631's and they are a very succesful company. I'm not saying it can't be done but we had a spread of 16 631's and 2 D10's with a scraper with them at all times and we were getting about 800 loads a day out of both D10's. I'd really like to see the video, any links?

Back on page 3 i posted the link to the guy doing 2 651,s in a minute, it only goes for a minute and a half or so but times that minute by 50 and tell me how many loads he could do in 60 minutes

vapor300

You cant do it like that it dont work, the next minute he may have got 0 loads! In a 10 hour day 450 loads is alot! 1000 not possible!

Gavin84w

You cant do it like that it dont work, the next minute he may have got 0 loads! In a 10 hour day 450 loads is alot! 1000 not possible!

I would like to understand why you can't do it like that when it clearly shows that he punched out 2 51,s in a minute with a slight delay beetween them. If every time he backs up there is a scraper pulling in why would he get 0 loads in the next minute? You would continue on as seen keeping the cycle going. It,s all about planning, simple as that.

Last edited:

385C

MESA is the company in the video shown pushing out 2 scrapers in a minute. I have visited California several times and seen MESA working on dirt spreads just like this. And weather you believe it or not Gavin84W's numbers are highly likely correct. YES it is possible to get 100 loads an hour if you have a guy that knows what he is doing. I have seen pushcat guy's in worse material than he was working in getting out 2 scrapers in just over a minute, and with butter material like I see this there is no reason for him no to be pushing out 2 a minute. There is a reason this guy runs pushcat for them while 90% of the other operators are sitting at home unemployed (maybe like yourself?). Did you forget production is key? The jobs of today are not like the jobs of the past. Maybe some should get there head unstuck and take some notes,actually learn from this fellow...

cmrhoades1

i think a 1000 a day off of one tractor is hard to belive but not impossible given the right conditions. Here in nebraska in the muddy ground we have my best day is 520. But in my experiance in the pushcat something always goes wrong when you are having a good day thats messes up your rythem. I usually have to go push the morons out as well so one stuck scraper if there isnt a dozer on the job can cost you a number of loads. But im jsut from alittle dirt outfit in Nebraska that doesnt in my oppinion work very profitciatly by most peoples standards

cmrhoades1

also im sure its been said in here already somewhere but where i run pushcat not that i agree with it but im am not allowed to back up in 3rd. actually 3 our of 4 of our pushcats have 3rd gear blocked out of them

Gavin84w

Maybe some should get there head unstuck and take some notes,actually learn from this fellow...

Thats a key comment right there, i learn a lot from the tube Vapor i am not tryin to shoot you down or bag any outfits that run pushcats etc, i love this $hit and i have made a good living working on and around yellow iron my whole life. I just see that with a broader awareness and an ability to "think outside the box" there is as they say a better mousetrap, sometimes that can be using the mousetrap you have better and thats all the thread is about, definently not having a go at anyone or trying to be a smartarse with what i post but would like to see the discussion flourish a bit more than things like "it can,t be done"

Kman9090

Maybe some should get there head unstuck and take some notes,actually learn from this fellow...

Have you seen 1000 loads out of one tractor? I'll compare load counts from our 631 Spread to your guys. We use D10's as well, with a spread of 12 631G scrapers. What is there to learn as well? I'm happy to learn a few tricks, but hes saying simply because this guy has a good 2 minutes that its capable for him to get 1000 loads in a day. I thought the 2 push cat guys I had working for me in Louisana were good and they averaged 400-450 loads a day. Those push cat guys didnt even stop to pee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Fqo-hhTsg&feature=fvsr
That is another video from the same guy that seems more realistic. Also in work days you figure a total of 9 hours that the machine is actually spent working. Between grease and fuel in the morning, tractor going to the cut and setting up, hopefully the scrapers are waiting on him, then giving machine time to get back to the boneyard at night, and time to cool down. This is also not including the operators well being either. As I'm sure hes gonna have to stop and have a bathroom break, as well as get something to drink as well. From the video of him pushing those scrapers above I calculated his load count to be about 500-600 a day. Which is still very good and he is a talented operator, but I again will state 1000 loads a day from one machine is not possible. at least in a 10 hour day.

Kman9090

i think a 1000 a day off of one tractor is hard to belive but not impossible given the right conditions. Here in nebraska in the muddy ground we have my best day is 520. But in my experiance in the pushcat something always goes wrong when you are having a good day thats messes up your rythem. I usually have to go push the morons out as well so one stuck scraper if there isnt a dozer on the job can cost you a number of loads. But im jsut from alittle dirt outfit in Nebraska that doesnt in my oppinion work very profitciatly by most peoples standards

You make a very good point, theres always gonna be that one guy or one scraper thats gonna mess up your rythem. And when you have a big scraper spread going that could mess up a big part of your day. We try to have a D8T wrking around our push tractors so they can tighten up the straglers.