• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

projects and work

Joeyz

Occupation
Welder and diesel mechanic
so I have Been reading on here for about 2 yrs give or take. I work full time as a mechanic in a heavy equipment shop. We also do alot of motors in truck to. I also worked as a welder and iron worker before i got to thinking long term employment I was (23) now 25 . I have turned wrenches throw out high school and tech school and wanted more then when i was layed off. I was offered a job and it took off for me. I still weld on the side to bring in extra money and i am slowly doing more mechanical side work. Would like to go full time one day. So i figured try out my own thread if it takes off why not.
12096050_418118271726812_7180878883822006010_n.jpg
truck had no manual locks customer supplied one did install. the skid steer buck is shot made cutting edge out of 1/2 450 hard ox to go do brush/snow clearing. Its on a 1980s case customer has since bought a universal mount and installing it so no more old buckets.
13138925_478854452319860_323611779614244636_n.jpg
13124566_478854405653198_4561845904303413797_n.jpg
13164255_478854402319865_6309155770062140250_n.jpg
my current dd/ work truck
tr.jpg

Joeyz

Occupation
Case backhoe bucket was paper thin and crack was spreading going to need an overhaul and stick end line bored and re bushed and pins did it on sunday
15230737_1451760348186289_6892696550166545370_n.jpg
15181225_1451760571519600_1284673860454484301_n.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Welcome Joey.. Stay busy and keep the pictures coming.. It looks like you have a good selection of iron in the background to help you along.

Joeyz

Occupation
that is a customer yard wishing it was mine. i have alot more pictures just have to find them. Picked up a 1989 f450 bbf460 5 speed dually to build into a welding rig.IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0272.jpg

Buickspec6231

Nothing related to your post, but I grew up in Centereach. Somerset St off of Holbrook to be precise. I'm upstate now. Good Luck on building your business up.

Joeyz

Occupation
3000 hrs is good for one of these got most of it back together tonight. bogie are up with new lock plates drive cages are all done installed with updated barrings and drilled and taped caps for grease fitting started to rebuild front and rear idles. got alil overtime

Joeyz

Occupation
been layed up sick since friday not much going on. trying to drum up some business. Just hit craigslist hard and order more business cards. I know work of mouth is good and have a few good repeat clients just trying to get out there more.

Joeyz

Occupation
got some dumpster work and a lot more coming now. got to love roll offs

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 14725514_537785979760040_6865257727964359916_n.jpg
    14725514_537785979760040_6865257727964359916_n.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 83

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Keep your trucks looking extra sharp and make sure your name and phone number is on them x3 sides. Business cards are good and cheap to keep on hand. Maybe check some rental places, they can be a good source of work I've heard.

Joeyz

Occupation
thanks I have business cards and im buying a truck to set up as just a work truck will letter it up. i have to check you some rental places.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
And speaking of trucks and signs. Make information on the truck simple to the point and easy to see at a glance. I'm just recalling a truck that went by my house the other day while I was doing some trim mowing. I was maybe 50 feet from the road and truck with white cab on it goes by. I know there was some logo on the door but I have no idea what or whose it was.

I see way too many signs either on phone poles or on trucks that might look good to someone sitting at a desk looking at the layout on the computer screen but they are totally worthless to someone driving by.

A nice simple short name with phone number both in a high contrasting color to the truck works best. If it is a dump truck pulling a backhoe I would have some idea of what you do so don't try to write a novel explaining all the different things you can do with the truck an backhoe.

And on another related point. If someone calls and leaves a message call back. Sounds simple but there have been way too many times I have called someone about doing a job for me and never got a call back or if I did it was long after the job had been finished. If you have an answering machine check it at the minimum of once a day and reply right then. It might be some one who wants you to drive fifty miles with the backhoe to bury a dead gold fish or it just might be someone looking to have you dig a basement for a 4000 square foot house and put in a half mile long road to it from the road!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Dang you K you beat me to it! Haha

Make your name and/or logo on the truck easy to read. Normal letters, simple. I can't count how many trucks I have seen with a cool name or logo but you can't read it. Also, simple stuff like keychains you can stick on their keys when you work on something, a small sticker that says next service due at xxxxx with your name and number. Magnetic business cards are handy to stick certain places. And yes keep them clean, inside and out. Keep clutter off the dash, empty cans etc out of the bed. Yes it's a mechanics truck but you don't want them trying to figure out if it's a service truck or a garbage truck. I have NO room to talk in that Dept lol. I got scolded today as a matter of fact. When I did the rotary wear strips on the IMT I got that nasty dirty food grade grease EVERYWHERE and hadn't cleaned it up, been too busy. Usual deal, get it all done but don't work any OT lol. Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea :)

Junkyard

Joeyz

Occupation
And speaking of trucks and signs. Make information on the truck simple to the point and easy to see at a glance. I'm just recalling a truck that went by my house the other day while I was doing some trim mowing. I was maybe 50 feet from the road and truck with white cab on it goes by. I know there was some logo on the door but I have no idea what or whose it was.

I see way too many signs either on phone poles or on trucks that might look good to someone sitting at a desk looking at the layout on the computer screen but they are totally worthless to someone driving by.

A nice simple short name with phone number both in a high contrasting color to the truck works best. If it is a dump truck pulling a backhoe I would have some idea of what you do so don't try to write a novel explaining all the different things you can do with the truck an backhoe.

And on another related point. If someone calls and leaves a message call back. Sounds simple but there have been way too many times I have called someone about doing a job for me and never got a call back or if I did it was long after the job had been finished. If you have an answering machine check it at the minimum of once a day and reply right then. It might be some one who wants you to drive fifty miles with the backhoe to bury a dead gold fish or it just might be someone looking to have you dig a basement for a 4000 square foot house and put in a half mile long road to it from the road!
thats true i like simple dont want to much in small space . and i use my cell and i try to call back asap . my buddy owns a company that does lettering so thats covers. I also put some ads on craigslist.

Joeyz

Occupation
Dang you K you beat me to it! Haha

Make your name and/or logo on the truck easy to read. Normal letters, simple. I can't count how many trucks I have seen with a cool name or logo but you can't read it. Also, simple stuff like keychains you can stick on their keys when you work on something, a small sticker that says next service due at xxxxx with your name and number. Magnetic business cards are handy to stick certain places. And yes keep them clean, inside and out. Keep clutter off the dash, empty cans etc out of the bed. Yes it's a mechanics truck but you don't want them trying to figure out if it's a service truck or a garbage truck. I have NO room to talk in that Dept lol. I got scolded today as a matter of fact. When I did the rotary wear strips on the IMT I got that nasty dirty food grade grease EVERYWHERE and hadn't cleaned it up, been too busy. Usual deal, get it all done but don't work any OT lol. Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea :)

Junkyard
thank you that is true keeping the truck nice and simple on lettering key chains are cool and i didn't think of the magnetic business cards. I been looking at alot of welding work lately so its a start to get my foot in the door.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
As far as CL.....it can be a pig and a poke. Nothing beats sticking you head in places and introducing yourself. Small dirt contractors, small rental outfits, water district etc. The small places with a few machines got me more work when I did my own thing. Some of the smaller independent AG dealers too, farmers, nurserys etc. You may hit 5-6 before you get a positive response but I assure you most of, if not all, them will call at some point. The first call for some will be on a Sunday with them in a jam. You'll bail them out and hopefully get a good customer out of the deal. Just don't let anybody string you out on parts or your bill. If they can't front the money for parts or pick them up for you then how they gonna pay you? I'm sure you know this, just don't want a man going hungry!

Junkyard