• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Galion starter

Rldsl

Has it been cranking fine for a bit until the "fluid hits the pumps", and then bogging down?
With the other starters, yes ,this one seemed to want to pull through, its about the same starter that is on my 92 ih 7.3 diesel ,just with an adapter )but since it's been down to 2 deg f last handful of nights and hasn't got above 30, I wanted to wait a few days for warmer weather to really try to fire it, heck even my Volvo's have been a bit cranky in this weather. Best to wait for better conditions for a proper test fire

Rldsl

Another thing I wanted to do before firing, is add an additional battery and run a separate circuit to the coil, as this new starter has such a whopper of a solenoid even switched through a switching solenoid ala Ford, delco heavy duty etc, it draws the voltage at the coil down too far ( most likely high resistance of prehistoric wires to the dash), but best to eliminate all variables, ID rather try s start with 12v at the coil , than 9

lantraxco

Should be a bypass terminal on the starter solenoid to feed the ignition coil with, straight off the battery until the starter kicks out.....

Rldsl

And yes, I have tested for this every step of the way, low coil voltage didn't happen till now.

Rldsl

Should be a bypass terminal on the starter solenoid to feed the ignition coil with, straight off the battery until the starter kicks out.....

This type starter ( nippindenso gear reduction) doesn't have a bypass circuit for ignition, only batt connection and solenoid trigger terminals, so I half expected to need another circuit., I figure best to run it off separate batt , juice goes to starter from main batts like a circuit wide open, ( path of least resistance) coil is by nature resistance and will get basically leftovers . easier to assure full voltage with separate batt.

Rldsl

I've also checked directly with delco, and the only starter they still make for Galion , fits a roller with a slightly different engine, and is only a 1.2kw direct drive, like everyone else. It's the same starter listed for a IH scout (and any IH app with a 264 engine), so like in most cases of catalog part number consolidation, it looks like delco killed the proper part first, then everyone else followed.

Rldsl

Rldsl,

I just sent an e-mail to Contractors Crane in Houston on your behalf. They'll likely have your starter and be able to troubleshoot your problem (they even had one of their mechanics call me when I was replacing the rubber support pads between the rear axle and frame.....those were a bitch). I purposely bought everything from them (all OEM or better) for the quality parts and help.....so as to not have to "rinse and repeat" as your going through now, it's frustrating....as none of this stuff is light (I think the starter is around 50 Lbs).

I had sent an email off to Contractors Crane as well just to see if I would get a different answer than I got on the phone. Well they worked on it for about a week and a half or so with updates, but came up with " discontinued " .he did send a picture of the original parts manual and that starter is much bigger than what was on it.
Good news, custom builder is trying a shot at a 4.5 kW 24v job with a special offset to maximize gear reduction

Since these starters are officially obsolete, I'm going to play guinea pig to help develop one that works

Rldsl

GREAT NEWS!
IT LIVES!
I owe Jack at IMI Performance , High Torque. ( www.hi torque.com ). a bunch.
He has worked tirelessly with me on this project to get a workable starter , doing endless research through old delco specs and trying to com up with something that wood fit in there.
What we have isca 4.5 kW 24v serious gear reduction uni tha spins the engine over just a tad faster than the idle speed. This s a Nippindenso style gear reduction starter ths particular unit weighs in at about 22 pounds On 29 Deg f day it fires right off cold , and even after an arduous day transporting back home on a less than ideal lowboy that required constant restarts, the starter never got hot
I DD require a simple 24 v conversion with a series parallel switch, and runs off 4, group 31 batts that all fit nicely in the right side compartment ( just for giggles, and so the ignition wouldn't be subject to the usual voltage drop while cranking, I'm running the ignition off a separate bat in the compartment on he other side.)

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Now that you have it starting good I'd reconnect, at least temporarily to the main battery system to see if there is any problem with voltage drop, if it spins over that good I don't think you will have a problem. I just hate extra non-essential electrical components and wiring.

Rldsl

Now that you have it starting good I'd reconnect, at least temporarily to the main battery system to see if there is any problem with voltage drop, if it spins over that good I don't think you will have a problem. I just hate extra non-essential electrical components and wiring.
You are correct, but I had earlier found the factory wiring going to and from the dash extremely corroded with with high resistance so, at least for now, it's a lot better off with its own circuits, until I have a chance to completely re- wire it from scratch with all new materials, but for now.... I'm beat .3 months of that beast kicking my hind end, it's time for a vacation :)

I figure that'll last about a week before I'm fooling with it again,