• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Galion starter

lantraxco

Well the fresh rebuilt starter spins that beast like a maniac. Only problem arose while trying to start, the ballast resistor got cooked from the excess amprage in the system, so back to Napa tomorrow for a heavy duty one. At least it's real close to running now.

No, the ballast resistor got cooked because the starter bypass is connected to it and was given her 24 volts while cranking? I think there will be a 12 volt tap coming off the S/P relay for that that's only hot when cranking but I can't swear to it.

Rldsl

No, the ballast resistor got cooked because the starter bypass is connected to it and was given her 24 volts while cranking? I think there will be a 12 volt tap coming off the S/P relay for that that's only hot when cranking but I can't swear to it.

Good thought, but I just double checked the wiring diagram I worked from and the resistor is getting.. Let me finish cooking this out before I eat my words.. Voltage from the battery hot from one... But you may be right when the switch engages, that puts that tap dead center between the two batts. Time to make some phone calls.

Rldsl

By the way, I had measured the voltage at the starter bypass on the solenoid on the starter and it was putting out a steady 12v ( and would have Fred right off if there hadn't been a bad connector on one end , which of course led to some fouled plugs... I think I'll buy a case of the things . remember the days when you could clean, dry out and stick plugs back in??

lantraxco

By the way, I had measured the voltage at the starter bypass on the solenoid on the starter and it was putting out a steady 12v ( and would have Fred right off if there hadn't been a bad connector on one end , which of course led to some fouled plugs... I think I'll buy a case of the things . remember the days when you could clean, dry out and stick plugs back in??

That doesn't make sense if you're bumping it to 24 volts on the main cable. Where would the starter get 12V?

Heck yeah, we used to take our motorcycle plugs up to the only store in our little valley, they had gas and a small auto repair business on the side, the owner would stick our plugs in the sandblast cleaner and check them on the tester, which had air pressure to simulate compression and mirror at the bottom with a window so you could see the spark pattern. Yeehaw! LOL

Rldsl

Started coming down with nasty cold yesterday morning got a tad sideways . middle tap always gets 12v, but I found the error , fella was right delco instructions wrong, need to tap off #4 for 12v for starter bypass and need separate starter solenoid to switch the starter ( in other words pa paper came with switch and all subsequent pics on net wrong, finally found delco troubleshooting manual that shows proper setup, I probably fried my pertronix electronic ignition... Good thing I saved the points)

lantraxco

Crossing fingers, maybe the ballast resistor sacrificed itself quick enough to save the pertronix.....

Rldsl

Friend dropped by, we got it running with pump off, figures filter clogged. Fluid dirty and way too thick. Guess what I get to do $$$, not to mention plugged hydraulic tank vent

BobCatBob

Friend dropped by, we got it running with pump off, figures filter clogged. Fluid dirty and way too thick. Guess what I get to do $$$, not to mention plugged hydraulic tank vent

Glad you took pump off. If you need help, let me know....I went through much of what your dealing with while rebuilding the Galion 150a.

P.s. Check that U joint the pump was connected to....mine was completely shot.

Rldsl

My friend knows his big unruly beasts. Hydraulic.filters 85+% externally clogged with goo. Fired it up and ran it for a good hour+ today my guess first time in years. It quit smoking and smoothed out nicely after a while, so I'm guessing the last two sets of rings are flexing now, has good strong idle, I honestly don't think the poor thing had been let up to operating temperature in ages

I'll check that ujoint carefully, I brought it back to clean and hand pack with grease, I don't trust those zirk fittings that try to force grease all over creation, even with an air grease gun. We had a time getting it off, the little socket head bolts were overstressed , 2 of us taking turns over an hour ,needless to say, I bought new ones ( I still remember over 50 years ago when I asked my dad, an engineer, why Allen wrenches are always so short... Reason at time, so folks wouldn't overtighten things...somehow that gets lost on some folks :)

Rldsl

Finally got hydraulic tank drained today, probably first time in 30 years. About a half inch of muck on the bottom of each section, and screen so jammed up with crud, I ran out of cleaner and had to bring it home to clean it up.
Good thing it was mentioned to look at that u joint, I thought it got fed grease from the zirk fitting on the collar, but those joints are greased on assembly, and sealed!,( I greased them at the open caps and pushed it through till it had greased at all points, old trick:)
Having a bit of a time getting covers back on tank, going to get some studs tomorrow replace the short bolts.any luck at all it will be going in a couple of days.

Rldsl

Well as luck would have it, all that cranking was too much on the starter, cooked another, but not before getting the new hydraulic fluid through enough to free things up to where the engine can be turned by pulling on the fan now, a new gear reduction starter is on the way from rareelectric, ( part" 4149 gr-12v or 4149gr-24v if you want it in 24v, don't bother looking on website or attempting to call to order one, their phone people have no access to that number .I had to get it via email through their customer service guys, it's special order ) the picture looks like a real beast of a starter.
They liked that one at 12v for this so I switched back and went to 3 group 31 batts, which will give me way more kick than 2 4d, and they fit nicely in the box on the right side. Any luck at all we will be whirling and spinning just right here shortly.

Rldsl

Starter was a bust. Rareelectric didn't bother telling the builder about the pumps and they built a gasser starter..good news I have contacted the builder, Imi performance as nd they are now working on one about 2.5-4 times stouter, full diesel rated that ought to be it ( the gasser one came close to spinning fast enough) if it works, I'll have him save the specs

BobCatBob

Starter was a bust. Rareelectric didn't bother telling the builder about the pumps and they built a gasser starter..good news I have contacted the builder, Imi performance as nd they are now working on one about 2.5-4 times stouter, full diesel rated that ought to be it ( the gasser one came close to spinning fast enough) if it works, I'll have him save the specs

3rd Starter? Post some pictures of machine.....a lot of knowledge in here to help, though with no pictures, blind proposition.

Delmer

BobCatBob, I don't know what to say that I haven't said already. That doesn't make sense to me either, but then they do sound like cheap aftermarket starters so who knows? A genuine (Delco or Denso) should last just fine without the high torque, we're not talking about thousands of hours here.

BobCatBob

BobCatBob, I don't know what to say that I haven't said already. That doesn't make sense to me either, but then they do sound like cheap aftermarket starters so who knows? A genuine (Delco or Denso) should last just fine without the high torque, we're not talking about thousands of hours here.

He mentioned he disconnected the hydraulic pump off the front, the only resistance would be the engine and the torque converter off the back. If the filter on the torque converter is loaded, it will slow things down a bit. Without pictures or more detail, hard to help.

He needs to call Contractors Crane out of Houston (Phil or Jake)....these guys had solutions that worked on every problem I had (and I think I've rebuilt or replaced every moving/wear item on my crane!).

Rldsl

The problem is Delco USED to make the original starter for this thing, , my local rebuilder knew about it and so did the guy building the custom job, problem is they discontinued making the big gear reduction starter with an offset for one where the starter mounts along the engine and only make the one for busses and such where starter is along trans, they are too long and would require major exhaust manifold mods . this absence of availability is likely why a number of people have put undersized boneyard starters on after a failure that and growing lack of decent rebuilder.

Rldsl

I called place mentioned and many others, starter is unobtanium in original form. Guy building custom one is sending it out on trial basis if it doesn't work I send it back, no cash. He wasn't too happy that rareelectric ordered a custom starter for me and didn't bother to tell him about the pumps on that thing, or he never would have sent the last one out.( unfortunately he's out of the loop on that one and only don't blame him at all, it'll go up on eBay someone with a IH travel all will get a good deal), I could try mail-order equipment boneyards for a core, but by now what I would likely end up with is more of what I already have.

BobCatBob

Rldsl,

I just sent an e-mail to Contractors Crane in Houston on your behalf. They'll likely have your starter and be able to troubleshoot your problem (they even had one of their mechanics call me when I was replacing the rubber support pads between the rear axle and frame.....those were a bitch). I purposely bought everything from them (all OEM or better) for the quality parts and help.....so as to not have to "rinse and repeat" as your going through now, it's frustrating....as none of this stuff is light (I think the starter is around 50 Lbs).

Rldsl

Rldsl,

I just sent an e-mail to Contractors Crane in Houston on your behalf. They'll likely have your starter and be able to troubleshoot your problem (they even had one of their mechanics call me when I was replacing the rubber support pads between the rear axle and frame.....those were a bitch). I purposely bought everything from them (all OEM or better) for the quality parts and help.....so as to not have to "rinse and repeat" as your going through now, it's frustrating....as none of this stuff is light (I think the starter is around 50 Lbs).

I would be curious to see if you get a different answer than I did when I called them. As in no go, salvage or rebuild. With my luck I could have got the new guy who is supposed to be stocking shelves and not touching the phone, a nd if they do come up with anything, real curious if it would be the same delco 1.3kw direct drive or clone that the entire rest of the world appears to ,( one that 2 starter experts 1 a rebuilder ive worked with for over 30 years and trust completely, he specializes in big truck and equipment starters and alternators )have told me wasn't the original, and would never start one of these )

Rldsl

At least new test starter arrived, I put it on and gave one quick spin, doesn't appear to bog down when the fluid hit the pumps, but it's been below freezing and that engine is cranky enough cold without the pumps attached, I'll wait until Wed for warmer weather to give a fair test fire