• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New T-Mar Grapple Yarder

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I put this information up in the obscure makes section, but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

Just to let everyone know that there is a drawing of T-Mar's new grapple yarder in the Fall 2011 issue of the Truck Logger BC magazine. I put in a call to T-Mar so I could get permission to post the picture for everyone to see, but haven't received an answer. So I will give the brief specs and a description of the machine in the picture. The machine weighs in at 100,000 lbs (about 15,000 lbs more than a Madill 120), has CAT diesel power, side by side mainline drums (like the 6280 and 7280) and what looks to be a rear tilting engine enclosure. At a quick glance the machine looks very similar to a Madill 120 with a lattice type boom, a swiveling haulback fairlead and staggered roller fairleads for the mainlines. The cab looks much the same as the 120/124 cab with the ability to tilt for transport. The cab guard looks similar in design as well to the 120/124 design, but is considerably taller. It has a topping line drum (never did understand why Madill made that optional on the 120) and 3 guyline drums mounted in a single frame between the bottom rear gantry legs. All in all, it is a very nice looking design. According to the article the machine could be out working in the spring of 2012.

So everyone going past T-Mar's yard keep your eyes peeled. Hopefully Murk100 will be able to track this machine down when it hits the woods and give us all a full report along with pictures.

Here's wishing T-Mar all the best with their new machine. DBDLS

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
They made a couple of rubber tired line loaders for M&B back in the 90,s. Check" Forestecks "web site for a look at one.

log big

thanks 075 i don't no vary much about logging equipment in the west coast im from Montana

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
I saw the same article in the TLA magazine, can't wait to see it... the plans have been in the works for years just waiting for a customer. It was designed by Jim Mantle who also designed the Cypress 7280 etc. I believe he has been with T Mar since Cypress shut down, they also have one of the top Madill designers employed their Ed ??? I stopped in and yaked for a bit with Ed few months back and he was telling me the were re-drawing the plans to CAD or some other program... I should be yarding in the spring 2012

Rusty Grapple

I saw the same article in the TLA magazine, can't wait to see it... the plans have been in the works for years just waiting for a customer. It was designed by Jim Mantle who also designed the Cypress 7280 etc. I believe he has been with T Mar since Cypress shut down, they also have one of the top Madill designers employed their Ed ??? I stopped in and yaked for a bit with Ed few months back and he was telling me the were re-drawing the plans to CAD or some other program... I should be yarding in the spring 2012

That 'Ed' is Ed Hughes who was with Madill for years and years. Ed designed the Madill 071 and 171, and worked on the design team 121, 122, 123 as well. Of course he was involved with building the 120, 124, and 172- as well as the Madill hydraulic machinery lineup. Ed worked at Madill right to the end and upon Madill's closure went to T-Mar nearly immediately.

The first steel was cut for this machine in October and T-Mar has a home for it with a contractor close to the shops just in case any hick-ups arise. I am told that marketing won't begin in earnest until 6 or so months have passed without issue.

I have seen the drawings and the machine should be a nice machine in the right size-range. Big-yarder features in a much smaller package.

1931 kenworth

HI Guys Did you know that Nicholson in sidney bc has Brightwater in newzealand building 2 124 madills down there they have 2 customers for them. They are getting Ideal gear in vancouver to cut the gears and sending them down on ocean freight. Brightwater used to be a dealer for madill in 70's and 80's but had some falling out and they started building their own swing yarders but i dont think it worked out. I quess they have made a deal with nicholson. Doug Kinney from down under was up visiting last week and popped in to see me i forget the names of the customers. If i can get some pictures i will post them. Larry

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
HI Guys Did you know that Nicholson in sidney bc has Brightwater in newzealand building 2 124 madills down there they have 2 customers for them. They are getting Ideal gear in vancouver to cut the gears and sending them down on ocean freight. Brightwater used to be a dealer for madill in 70's and 80's but had some falling out and they started building their own swing yarders but i dont think it worked out. I quess they have made a deal with nicholson. Doug Kinney from down under was up visiting last week and popped in to see me i forget the names of the customers. If i can get some pictures i will post them. Larry

Great info, do you remember if they were staying down under or coming back to BC or the US?

furpo

The Brightwater 124s have been on the go for a while now. The two machines are to stay down here for now. I understand it has been some of the Northern parts which have been holding up the first machine.

As far as I know Brightwater never built a swinger. Their pole haulers are good machines and they will still make them to order.

Hopefully Doug likes his new processor. The old operator was sad to see it go.

Does anyone have a link to the TMar yarder article? The suspence is killing me.

Redwood Climber

Pictures, articles, or drawings please!

The Brightwater 124s have been on the go for a while now. The two machines are to stay down here for now. I understand it has been some of the Northern parts which have been holding up the first machine.

As far as I know Brightwater never built a swinger. Their pole haulers are good machines and they will still make them to order.

Hopefully Doug likes his new processor. The old operator was sad to see it go.

Does anyone have a link to the TMar yarder article? The suspence is killing me.

Ditto on the suspense is killing me, I've been checking the forum everyday, hoping for a glimpse of the new TMar yarder.

It's great to know that new yarders are being built, when we come out of this economic slump we will need them. Yarders are tough machines, but they do not last forever. I believe there will be a shortage, many will have to be brought out of mothballs, and graveyards to log again! Let's make the recovery come before all the parked yarders are melted down & on their way to China.

Last edited:

1931 kenworth

Sorry about that i know they didnt build any had swing on my mind must be getting old. I heard Tmar has everything ready to go but who ever wants it will have to come up with half the money that might be the hold up I wonder how much one would be these days. I know I have been having a heck of a time getting parts for the yarders lately hopefully the usa will get back on track.

hoechucker

I've heard from a very good source that they are asking a million bucks US.but what it'll actually take is another story altogether.

furpo

Brightwaters have been good to us regarding new bits for the 120 and will remanufacture parts for the older Madills and Thunderbirds. I should think Nicholsons would do the same for the north American customers.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
In the new Truck loggers Magazine T-Mar has an ad for their New Yarder. It reads LOG CHAMP , T-MAR Manufactured, SWING YARDER . Power:CAT C9 (350hp). U/C 8" Pitch c/w 9 Excavator Rollers, Swing:125,000lbs.Swing Torque, 55' Live Boom, 3Walking Guylines, Operating Weight:100,000lbs. Nothing on their web site about it yet. They have a booth at the Truck Loggers most likely more information will be there.

Redwood Climber

Man, they sure do know how to play that suspense card don't they? I'm dying to see the first pics. I'm sure they want to get it out the door and get it to working, but enough is enough.......yarder addict is in need of a fix here.....Hurry hurry hurry.......

I'm sure they want to get it as right as possible before it goes out, they have to know that lots of eyes are looking at the new kid on the block.

Born2clearcut

Here's a ad in Truck Logger BC edtion Winter 2012 . I see they have the mainline and slack puller fairleads staggered side by side , I thought Thunderbird proved this to be a bad design since it tends to twist the boom and fatigue the welds . Maybe they have improved on this . time will tell .

Attachments

• TMargy.jpg
    TMargy.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 2,457