• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

td25c

Nothing yet Tradesman.

Tossed out some $ numbers , customer still debating what to do .

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0952.JPG
My wife and took a few days off to go to our favourite inn in northern Ontario. And the dear sole spotted this on the side of the road needless to say she regretted it because I went down to talk to them and we stayed there while they rigged the pick and set the pick down. Great guys they where all operators and this was there building I didn't ask but it looked like a hunt shack

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
It was a holiday hear today, but I was out on the backhoe when I drove past this big boy set up for tomorrow.IMG_0977.JPGIMG_0978.JPG

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I wonder if I drop around tomorrow if they'll give me some seat time?

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I was setting trusses in a sub division today, no big deal I've set the trusses on this same model maybe 10 times and built it myself one. What was interesting was they were next door pulling the loaded form cages out of the foundation, man could that guy put that knuckle boom to work. As I watched him it occurred to me it was more like running an excavator than a crane, there was no feathering into the swing it was full nuts then stop NOW! and the basket would keep swinging ( not wildly) but kinda controlled, then he was setting them on the street in front of the truck and as he was reaching hit full cycle I could see the rear of the truck rising likely 6 " every cycle. If you treated a stick boom like that I doubt it would last long.

Last edited:

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
IMG_0850.JPG
I had I guy ask me today when I was going to get rid of that "old p!$$ pot " and get a new helmet, poor fool didn't know what he was talking about so I took him aside and showed him what a good lid felt like. I love this hat, it's not as hot,far lighter and stays on your head when you bend over.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
I like the full brim, keeps the rain off the glasses and from running down the back of the neck.
Cam

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Couple random shots. Nice wall eh. It's in a sub division, if I left work like that in custom houses I'd be out of business. Second shot is a big glob of grease on my window not bad unless you need to turn your wipers on
IMG_0973.JPG IMG_0997.JPG

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I have been moving form cages from one foundation to the next in a new subdivision and set the first set of trusses on the first house yesterday the big boss came along before I was finished and said he wanted me to do all the beams and trusses for 65 homes. He tried to get me down in price but I know my rate is good and I only have 5 minutes road time, so in the end I'm getting my rate. They're a little unorganized but I think I can gently educate them always being careful not to look like a smart a$$. I learned my lesson a few years ago , I had done three houses for this guy he was really happy. Then on the last house I noticed one truss about a 1/2" out of line and the crew was already on the back of the roof starting to sheath, so I politely told him about it, he kinda grumped back at me it would be ok, I've never set trusses for him again and I've never critiqued anyone's work since either. I think it intimidates some people that I know their job better than them, so mums the word.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I have been moving form cages from one foundation to the next in a new subdivision and set the first set of trusses on the first house yesterday the big boss came along before I was finished and said he wanted me to do all the beams and trusses for 65 homes. He tried to get me down in price but I know my rate is good and I only have 5 minutes road time, so in the end I'm getting my rate. They're a little unorganized but I think I can gently educate them always being careful not to look like a smart a$$. I learned my lesson a few years ago , I had done three houses for this guy he was really happy. Then on the last house I noticed one truss about a 1/2" out of line and the crew was already on the back of the roof starting to sheath, so I politely told him about it, he kinda grumped back at me it would be ok, I've never set trusses for him again and I've never critiqued anyone's work since either. I think it intimidates some people that I know their job better than them, so mums the word.
Sorry I sound like an a$$ what I meant was most of the guys I set for know I've been in the trade for close to 40 years ( yiks ) so they know I see when they're making mistakes. just like I'm nervous like a little school girl when I'm working around an old hand on a crane, I know they can see the small mistakes that I make that others don't see

Natman

Ha ha.... yeah most guys on jobs I'm on don't have a clue I have built more houses then they have, and I also had to learn to keep my mouth shut when seeing screwed up work! On the other hand, they guys that do know my past experience, appreciate a little heads up sometimes. One thing I learned fairly recently, after seeing many trusses with a lean due to their layout getting off, you are "officially" allowed 2" in 10' vertical out of plumb without weakening the roof (forget the hassles when you sheet it.) It's pretty amazing how bad work can still turn out pretty much OK, modern balloon framing is pretty forgiving, but it sure is nice to see it done right as it doesn't take any longer.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
IMG_1059.JPG IMG_1060.JPG I had a really nice job yesterday. It was only 60 x90 but I billed out 10 hours I was 11 but we had a 1/2 hour lunch and I shut down for close to a hour while they strapped the low part so they could brace the high part to it. Then they pretty well kept the strapping coming as we went. It was out in the open without any trees and strong wind was in the forecast. I was able to kick the boots off and just sit back in the seat and operate. Once in a while I'd get out and walk around just to give my a$$ a rest.
PS. Only selfie you'll ever see of my, I'm kinda camera shy.

Natman

I don't have a foot rest in the National's cab, but you've given me an idea......

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I have a hard and fast rule no boots up there but socks are allowed.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
View attachment 171453
I had I guy ask me today when I was going to get rid of that "old p!$$ pot " and get a new helmet, poor fool didn't know what he was talking about so I took him aside and showed him what a good lid felt like. I love this hat, it's not as hot,far lighter and stays on your head when you bend over.

Just curious. Do the Kevlar hardhats have the same OSHA 5 year lifespan in the sun as a plastic one or are they exempt as they don't appear to weather?
Question 2. Where can you get matching socks? I don't think I have any.:):):)

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Just curious. Do the Kevlar hardhats have the same OSHA 5 year lifespan in the sun as a plastic one or are they exempt as they don't appear to weather?
I don't know about the socks my wife dresses me
I will check the hard hat hat, never checked.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Ow - Ow - double ow- my eyes- is that the sun or the white of your legs?:)
Nice eh! My wife says they're sexy ( she's kinda twisted) I'm not a big fan of shorts at work, and I work most of the time so that doesn't lend its self to tanning on the beach.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I checked,it has a sticker on the inside that reads DO NOT exceed maximum useful life. There is no date of manufacture on it but there is a stamp embossed into it, I suspect that would date it. I'll be using it till it's broken or lost or I'm broken or lost.