• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

Natman

Two new front tires next week, along with front shocks, (we'll see what difference they make on the local potholes) for my Mack. And, just got done (paying for, hired it out) a length of "Twin-hose" (two hoses made as a pair, bonded together) and labor for the front right outrigger extension. About average if that is it for the year?

crane operator

Whoo hoo- education time.

This is going to be fun- Tradesman- the sun is always in the crane operators eyes, framers only leave you the spot looking into the sun, to set up the crane. They want to get back at you for having the best job, so they plan it that way. They then leave you sit there, staring into the sun for hours...,

After all you can see is white spots, they stand directly into the sun from you, and give you hand signals with their little stubby fingers, wiggling like they have lice or some skin rash, that they don't want to itch in public. You can barely see their body outline, let alone their furtive nose-picking like hand signals. Mostly then I just guess and put whatever it is I'm lifting where I think it should go- Ignore all signals,. they don't know what they want anyways.

But, in spite of their best efforts to make us uncomfortable- us crane operators have a solution- a secret weapon so to speak. These wood weilders occasionally leave remnants lying around the jobsite, leftovers of their wood destruction. You will turn this to your own advantage. Some carpenter would need a square, stringline, laser. scribe. angle finder,table saw, joiner, and one of those funny fat pencils they all have. But you aren't one of those backward mortals anymore..........

You are now

A crane operator (actually only a boom truck in your case, but we make exceptions:))

So- grabbing one of their castoffs, and using only a stolen wood butcher and your laser vision (only operators have it- framers use all those other straight line maker thingies), you are going to make the defender of operators everywhere- your first real sunshade:

20170603_123354.jpg 20170603_123424.jpg

That's right, get back at those framers, make yourself a block about this by this (I'm using my hands- operators tell every length and distance just by looking and using their hands- framers use those measure distancer doohickys). It should be a nice width to shade your nose and eyes, and not too big to block your vision.

Also be sure not to make it too wide, or when you boom down it will pinch between the boom and the cab, making a big noise and occasionally flopping it back into the cab banging you in the head and making you look like a fool in front of the framers. We operators try not to do that, so smile, like you meant to do that, when it happens. They won't be sharp enough to tell the difference.

Also make sure to mess up 1/2 way into your cut- that way no one tries to steal your board, they know its to crooked for them to cut back into something straight. (see 2nd picture for a example of a proper jagged edge)

Now--- Install behind seat, and when those lousy karpenters next sit you in the sun, flop that baby on the roof, kick on the 12v fan and some tunes, and live large.....

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor

This is going to be fun- Tradesman- the sun is always in the crane operators eyes, framers only leave you the spot looking into the sun, to set up the crane. They want to get back at you for having the best job, so they plan it that way. They then leave you sit there, staring into the sun for hours...,

After all you can see is white spots, they stand directly into the sun from you, and give you hand signals with their little stubby fingers, wiggling like they have lice or some skin rash, that they don't want to itch in public. You can barely see their body outline, let alone their furtive nose-picking like hand signals. Mostly then I just guess and put whatever it is I'm lifting where I think it should go- Ignore all signals,. they don't know what they want anyways.

But, in spite of their best efforts to make us uncomfortable- us crane operators have a solution- a secret weapon so to speak. These wood weilders occasionally leave remnants lying around the jobsite, leftovers of their wood destruction. You will turn this to your own advantage. Some carpenter would need a square, stringline, laser. scribe. angle finder,table saw, joiner, and one of those funny fat pencils they all have. But you aren't one of those backward mortals anymore..........

You are now

A crane operator (actually only a boom truck in your case, but we make exceptions:))

So- grabbing one of their castoffs, and using only a stolen wood butcher and your laser vision (only operators have it- framers use all those other straight line maker thingies), you are going to make the defender of operators everywhere- your first real sunshade:

View attachment 170181 View attachment 170182

That's right, get back at those framers, make yourself a block about this by this (I'm using my hands- operators tell every length and distance just by looking and using their hands- framers use those measure distancer doohickys). It should be a nice width to shade your nose and eyes, and not too big to block your vision.

Also be sure not to make it too wide, or when you boom down it will pinch between the boom and the cab, making a big noise and occasionally flopping it back into the cab banging you in the head and making you look like a fool in front of the framers. We operators try not to do that, so smile, like you meant to do that, when it happens. They won't be sharp enough to tell the difference.

Also make sure to mess up 1/2 way into your cut- that way no one tries to steal your board, they know its to crooked for them to cut back into something straight. (see 2nd picture for a example of a proper jagged edge)

Now--- Install behind seat, and when those lousy karpenters next sit you in the sun, flop that baby on the roof, kick on the 12v fan and some tunes, and live large.....
Ah great master, grass hopper is starting to see the ways of the evil nail bender, only when I can snatch the pencil from behind thier ear will I be truly enlightened.:D

Natman

I keep some 90% shade cloth in the cab, plus some magnets and spring clamps, for putting it where it's needed. It makes a big difference. The National has a roller shade for the "roof", more shade cloth there.

My home made cab on my Manitex 101S had a opening cab roof, my National does not. This is the "deluxe" cab, but no opening roof, what the heck were they thinking? I miss being able to stand up and yell at people.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I keep some 90% shade cloth in the cab, plus some magnets and spring clamps, for putting it where it's needed. It makes a big difference. The National has a roller shade for the "roof", more shade cloth there.

My home made cab on my Manitex 101S had a opening cab roof, my National does not. This is the "deluxe" cab, but no opening roof, what the heck were they thinking? I miss being able to stand up and yell at people.
Maybe the delux cab was meant to have an ac unit.

crane operator

This is the "deluxe" cab, but no opening roof, what the heck were they thinking? I miss being able to stand up and yell at people.

You can fix that natman. My rt grove came with a slide front to back top window. They were known to break- the window just hung out in the air off the back of the cab. I've broken one myself in a tms version. When I got the crane it just had a piece of laminated glass glued down to the lid. I'm sure the former owner got sick of buying new glass for it. It was a hot sob, with no air.

We built a frame and made a tip up window like all the old crane's have. It probably won't win any beauty contests, but it sure works nice.

Natman

My top glass has a nifty and expensive looking curve, as it turns the corner to join the windshield. I could still build a flat opening frame but it would for sure really not look right as i couldn't replicate that curve. I've pretty much convinced myself the heat difference isn't as bad as I thought it would be, using the shade cloth of course helps a lot, plus it has two fans. If I ever break that top, (I'm sure it's real expensive...) I'll re do it with a opener for sure. Being unable to stand up and stick my head out is what I miss the most, I don't miss having to remember to close it before heading on the freeway. The cab does have a air con entrance on the rear, even a labeled switch on the console, but was never fitted with one. I have thought of rigging the smallest residential AC unit along with a 1000 watt Honda generator, (which would be more then enough juice to run it), all mounted on my turret of course. I have it all figured out.....just have yet to feel the need enough, doesn't get that hot that long up here at 4500 to 6000' above sea level.

crane operator

I didn't realize they had that curved glass in yours. I never liked the curved glass. In the linkbelt, and terex's I've run with curved glass, I always felt it distorted what you were looking at, and I wished it was just flat glass. It really stinks when you break it, because like you said, it's expensive as all get out, and only factory available. I always just take my glass to my local guy and he cuts me new laminated.

My small window A/C units use a 3000 watt lp generator (I like not messing with gas cans, and the fuel doesn't go bad). I tried a 2000 watt and when the compressor would kick on, it would kill the engine. If you manually held the engine wide open, it could pull it.
20160816_100839.jpg CAM00469.jpg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

You are now

View attachment 170181 View attachment 170182

Well, you did it to me. Nose coffee all over my shirt. Made my day.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I had another new experience today, I had my inside front roadside duel blow out, it went off like a bomb. So I limped it another 10 miles set up and called for a mobile repair. It couldn't of worked out better, the framers where painfully slow and about the time the tire truck showed up the framers had to stop and put hangers on a girder by the time they where done the new tire was on.

Welder Dave

I know a guy who runs rubber tire backhoes who also says curved glass distorts his vision. They try to make these machines all modern and fancy but they're actually going backwards as far as functionality. A bunch of skid steers have curved glass as well. It doesn't make the machine work any better but sure costs a lot more if you have to replace it and usually only available from the dealer.

Natman

Well, I think they got it right on my National, at least for the distortion thing, ain't none. Not that I've ever noticed anyway, for sure not any to effect operating. I totally agree with the more expense thing though, but hope I never need to buy one! Just yesterday I had to give The Speech to the tag line dummy when setting a sheeted gable just a few feet away. He had 30' of slack in the rope, and I made him choke up on it for better control plus I told him the glass costs 1 K to replace. Just a guess there. It does offer a little smoother air flow and less drag going down the road (this is the pilot and Prius car driver in me talking), and probably increases my MPG some totally infinitesimal amount, too small to measure of course but at least it LOOKS cool!

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
IMG_2061.JPG
I used your idea today crane op only not for sun but a torrential downpour. It was a hot day and then came the downpour and my top glass fogged up, my fan wouldn't keep it clear, so I thought to myself what would they guys on HEF. Do " a board " so I got the tag guy to break of a piece of osb. And what do you know it worked great.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I can't believe you got a tag line man to do anything...... usually they're just ornamental.
Well I sure as hell wasnt getting it myself it was raining out there. As it was I got my arm wet when I opened the door to yell at him :D

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Yeah Knepp , still debating it ?

There is room to " Drop " both silos but it would be a shame to just demo them .
Would like to find someone that wants them to rebuild on another site .
Did you ever tear down your silos. If so how did you do it?