• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need info on Fluids for an A/C Model D grader

DIYDAVE

That should be the one. It may be a newer VB, than the one pictured in the manual I have. My guess, would be to back off the outer jam nut, while holding a screwdriver, in the slot, then take the cap off of the valve. if you see a spring, under the cap. and not just threads and another jam nut, just put the cap back on, and do the adjustment as I wrote above. If there is no spring and just threads and another jam nut, underneath the cap, then use the nut underneath the cap, as the jam nut. The nut that is on the one in your last picture may just function, to lock the cover on, sometimes things are changed, on a 60+ year old machine...

Turbotexas

IMG_5133.JPG
Would this be a vent?
I'm trying to figure out how to "change the lines"? As in do I need to just swap them out and top off the hydraulic fluid? Or is the a way to "bleed the system" like when doing brakes?

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
This is a 503A that me and my dad rebuilt and repowered and heavily modified from a core some years back. I know you only asked for pics of a tire, but, well here you go!

Turbotexas

This is a 503A that me and my dad rebuilt and repowered and heavily modified from a core some years back. I know you only asked for pics of a tire, but, well here you go!
That's a damn good looking machine!
I'm amazed at how much the rear looks like mine.
Where'd you find them tires? Those would be the bomb!

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
The tail end of the machine is pretty much interchangeable with a D. The transmission internals are the same except for the input shaft, Galion used a hollow shaft so they could drive the hyd pump. I used a 503G model transmission to make a engine swap in a D, it will bolt right in. The Perkins I used was a little more difficult to bolt to the transmission. The tires came from TCI in Columbus, but any decent tire dealer can get them. They are Specialty Tires of America brand.

Turbotexas

I've got a good friend of going to tire shop, didn't get them for me at cost… I'll try them other ones that are going to be free for Brooke for now but these are definitely on the wish list

DonBC

Occupation
Retired mechanical engineer.
I used a CV joint boot as well on my D grader. Your weak hydraulics could be caused by belt slippage. With the belt super tight i could often stall the pump. The sheave groves were worn on the crankshaft pulley. I had an adaptor made to fit the pulley and moved the pump to direct drive off the crankshaft.

TumblingIQ

New guy here, and I can't find any info on what kind of fluids the transmission and the chain box's use, or the capacities? I've got a 50's era Allis Chalmers Model D Deluxe I think! I want to go through and replace all the fluids before I get her busy!
I have a 1949 allis chamers model d grader and can't find the transmission fill plug. Is there any way you could take a pic of plug so I can find it. having same problem as you finding info. Also the level check plug is located on the tandem chain cases just above and a little to the right of the drain plug. I really appreciate your time helping me out.

Turbotexas

If there is any water with the old gear oil, you will need to buy a CV cover from an auto parts store to cover the gear selector! That's where I found water to be getting into the case!

TumblingIQ

The only ones I could find are the two in the picture. They are located above the clutch and under the starter that's below the seat at the top end of the transmission. Kinda hard to get to. Could the top one be a fill plug and the bottom one be the level check? I hope the pic comes through okay. What year is your grader?
Thanks for your response and help,
Bob

Attachments

• DSC_0603_LI.jpg
    DSC_0603_LI.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4

Turbotexas

Mine is a 56 model I think? But if you're behind the machine look at what's known as the "pumpkin" or where the gear box is... that's where mine was at! I can't get pictures now because the machine is at a tire shop...

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Look for a pipe plug on the ring gear cover on the back of the transaxle, the oil level really isn't that high. The machine moving in gear carries the oil to the top of the transaxle. The tandem drive check plug is about 4-5" above the bottom of the case. The oil between the two is separate.

TumblingIQ

Is this it? So the rear pumpkin and the transmission both shareDSC_0610.JPG the same gear oil? I let a little drain out of the transmission drain plug to see if any water came out and none did but the oil was a little creamy with a white'ish color not sure about that. Also What is the drain and fill plugs for from the first pic I posted.

TumblingIQ

On another subject the grader had a wix 51101 oil filter that has a little plastic tube down the center. i got what was supposed the be a direct replacement that had no little tube and installed it and got no oil pressure. I put the old one back on and oil pressure was back to normal. Does anyone know of a replacement oil filter for a Model D with the 201cu engine with that little stem in the middle.