• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need info on Fluids for an A/C Model D grader

Turbotexas

Does it show where this relief pressure valve is? I'd like to go through it and clean it and insure it's working properly!

Turbotexas

Your D looks like it's in nice clean shape, do you do dirt work with it or road maintenance with it?
I just bought this two weeks ago! Once I get everything up to par, I'm hoping to be able to pick up some extra work doing road work! Just build a small ranch roads and driveways etc.

d9gdon

I can tell you from experience that those hydraulic hoses in the pic above will blow very soon; usually when it's about 100 degrees outside and then you get a YUGE oil bath LOL.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I just bought this two weeks ago! Once I get everything up to par, I'm hoping to be able to pick up some extra work doing road work! Just build a small ranch roads and driveways etc.
Well the reason i asked was that with some new sharp bar lug tires on it that lil darling will move some dirt if you get it off road, if you are only maintaining gravel roads, I'd prolly save my $$ and get some new hoses like d9gdon mentioned.

Turbotexas

Yes, they're next in line to be replaced!
Well the reason i asked was that with some new sharp bar lug tires on it that lil darling will move some dirt if you get it off road, if you are only maintaining gravel roads, I'd prolly save my $$ and get some new hoses like d9gdon mentioned.
my neighbor has some new military tires in a 900x20" size! They're a little taller than the 8.25x20's that are on here?
These are the old school keep tires from WWII era!
I'm debating on those, but wonder if it will take away some of its low end grunt?

Turbotexas

He's got six of these, and is willing to do some horse trading! He's not new property, and I told him if he'll buy all materials I'd grade out a road for him! IMG_5150.jpg

DIYDAVE

TT, that's what I have on mine, BUT: 9.00 X 20's, that are new will squeeze to a taller profile, on the OEM rims. Either get a set of these, used, worn to about 1/3 tread, or find some wider centerless IH Rims, off'n an old farm truck or bus. Not real sure how wide you can go, but I do know that I got as set of the 1/3 tires from Gensco, And they had about 2 nickels worth of clearance, where the tires meed, on the tandem drive...:eek:

Turbotexas

Yea I found a website that showed they'd be about three inches bigger in diameter! Which would be real tight... so I might just spend a day going around different tire shops looking for a new or used 8.25x20... then I can always true it down to match the other three!

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
If you are going to spend some $$ on tires, get a price on some bar lugs, Specialty Tires of America makes them from the old Goodyear(I think) molds. These tires will bite well enough that you will wish for more umph in the motor department. It will also make it easier to steer in a tight circle as the front end won't plow nearly as badly.

Turbotexas

If you are going to spend some $$ on tires, get a price on some bar lugs, Specialty Tires of America makes them from the old Goodyear(I think) molds. These tires will bite well enough that you will wish for more umph in the motor department. It will also make it easier to steer in a tight circle as the front end won't plow nearly as badly.
I was hoping to trade off these tires for the work on his drive? Thus no outbof pocket expense? But if the 900x20 is too tall, then I will either ask him to get something else or just find the one I need to make a
can you show me some photos?

DIYDAVE

TT, seriously, see what Gensco has, they had great prices (I thought), when I put 'em on, about 10 years ago. Gensco is the tire company that advertises in farm magazines, for used multi-ply aircraft tires... If I can find a link, I'll post it, later...:)

On edit, googled gensco, still doing business, but their site don't show used military tires, any more, you might want to email them, though...

Here's a link to M. E. Miller's site, they DO have 7.50X20 military, but the rears will set you back $ome...

http://www.millertire.com/categories/truck-tires/?sort=featured&page=3

Last edited:

DIYDAVE

OK, Finally got back to the manual re hydraulic relief setting. First, you are looking in the wrong spot, for the RV. It is on the rear left side of the valve bank, sticks out horizontally.

Next, check the pump drive to make sure belts are tight, not slipping. install a tee fitting, and a 2500 psi hyd gauge into the pressure line, from the pump to the VB. Next, start the machine, get it up to operating temperature.

Drop the blade to the ground, then apply downward force on one of the blade cylinders, the gauge should read 900 lbs. If not, loosen the jam nut, on the RV, and the acorn cap, that covers up the screw head. To increase pressure, tighten the screw, to decrease pressure, loosen the screw. If you screw the screw in, and pressure doesn't increase much, or any, your pump is weak or the belts are slipping. Manual don't say a thing about what RPM the test should be done at, so I'd say, try middle throttle setting. If it won't put out 900 PSI at high throttle, then your pump is prolly bad... Good luck.

Turbotexas

This is great information!has anyone ever scanned this manual? I'm kinda clueless without photos! Again thanks for this!
OK, Finally got back to the manual re hydraulic relief setting. First, you are looking in the wrong spot, for the RV. It is on the rear left side of the valve bank, sticks out horizontally.

Next, check the pump drive to make sure belts are tight, not slipping. install a tee fitting, and a 2500 psi hyd gauge into the pressure line, from the pump to the VB. Next, start the machine, get it up to operating temperature.

Drop the blade to the ground, then apply downward force on one of the blade cylinders, the gauge should read 900 lbs. If not, loosen the jam nut, on the RV, and the acorn cap, that covers up the screw head. To increase pressure, tighten the screw, to decrease pressure, loosen the screw. If you screw the screw in, and pressure doesn't increase much, or any, your pump is weak or the belts are slipping. Manual don't say a thing about what RPM the test should be done at, so I'd say, try middle throttle setting. If it won't put out 900 PSI at high throttle, then your pump is prolly bad... Good luck.

Turbotexas

http://www.millertire.com/products/...ck-tires/8-25-20/8-25-20-power-king-traction/
I like these, but $250.00!

TT, seriously, see what Gensco has, they had great prices (I thought), when I put 'em on, about 10 years ago. Gensco is the tire company that advertises in farm magazines, for used multi-ply aircraft tires... If I can find a link, I'll post it, later...:)

On edit, googled gensco, still doing business, but their site don't show used military tires, any more, you might want to email them, though...

Here's a link to M. E. Miller's site, they DO have 7.50X20 military, but the rears will set you back $ome...

http://www.millertire.com/categories/truck-tires/?sort=featured&page=3