• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

More repairs due on this old machine

Dickjr.

Dmiller , I just hope you don't hurt your self any worse. I guess if the Dr say you can work on then good enough. My concern would be doing damage that might be irreversible. These things your working on , if you torque yourself out , they surely will never get done then.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
With all the previous damage I self learned to do those things in ways that hurt less. Come a longs, chain falls anything to take the punishment off me. Still swinging a chain saw or tossing brush is pretty brutal but manageable. Setting up and setting a laminate floor is easier than tile but still bent a lot. Just have that coice inside telling me if I give up now there may not be a tomorrow.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hard to see in the twilight photos, just finished setting the dark post H-frame, is on my south property line fence. Is a gap fence between the two H-frames big enough for a four wheeler or on foot or a utility tractor for fence repairs. The first photo in the last group is that same line looking down the row of T-post I got set awaiting wire, that will occur later this week. The fields are mostly ours, looking across to a neighbors farm and back toward our house.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
rough 1/4 mile fence is done, an older 1/8+/- mile line that had been bugging me is ripped out not to be put back in and the old wire rolled up for scrap. Got a few more licks in on the bucket but this afternoon belonged to the wife, dinner and a little entertainment. Church in morning then as it cooled off A LOT back inside working.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well repairs are done for now. Doc stated may need to revisit in two months and do the disc above these two just replaced, depends on pain where at how tolerant and if these take well. Two discs, C5/6 and C6/7 so I am now a 1/4" taller!! Doc also said I am the first he has done to use the absolute LARGEST replacement unit available at 6/7. Wife said I am big boned doc agreed. No pain meds at all, shoulders are sore from being folded like a fresh fish being gutted but actual surgery region is fine. No driving 3 weeks, nothing over 10 lbs. lifting, and above all NOT to rotate my head too far backward as looking at sky or stars or anything else as until these get 'grown in' I could potentially displace one or both. No brace or collar, can already rotate side to side and some up/down with minimal soreness as I reach stops, uncertain if just my muscles sore or if are hard stops in discs. So appears I will be entertaining the wife and dogs for the next weeks!

Labparamour

Glad to hear it's done and you're feeling well!
Here's to a quick recovery.
And, how bad can it be spending time on the couch with the dogs? :)
DB

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Glad to hear you came though it well. I was told the same thing about looking up. Did all the feeling in your affected extremities go back to normal? Keep us informed.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
NO fencing, no bucket work, nothing on the house other than making the bed and going out for leg stretching walks as required by the Doc. I am setting the next few dances out until this gets healed up COMPLETELY!! Three weeks to next office visit(4/4) then stitches out. Asked on timeline, will know more as of next visit as will get new x-rays to see how well bone is building in new replacements. Have to be fully boned in to get anywhere close to release for work PLUs as can only do two of these at a time they will re-look at C4/5 as it does have 'issues' that may require re-entry and replace it. Is a required level of bone growth on previous two as well minimum 8 weeks to get to another replacement. So far neck pains and gravel pile is gone, snags when I turn my head are there but only as the surrounding meat is swollen and mad for now so limits rotation but still greater than had the last two months. Totally berated as to NOT ROTATE HEAD BACK too far, can and want me to look up, down side to side to keep all from auto fusing but not to hyper rotate as would to paint overhead or to star gaze or bird watch as until these little mechanisms are bone tight they could possibly kick out, then there I would be. Hands arms and fingers that itched or had running pain has all but stopped. L thumb still a issue as is the top of left shoulder trapezius muscle is sore and get a shooter on occasion when turn head right to left into that area which will be C4/5. Once swelling goes down will see if can deal without second surgery.

Almost forgot, HAVE TO lose 40 lbs. per the doc. To even consider then next surgery. Wants me no greater then 220.

John C.

Occupation
No hammer, axe or shovel work. That isn't a bad thing. Mine said I could swing a golf club once in awhile. Just not hard.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it and should recover well.

Metalman 55

Good luck with the healing process there DM. Just have to lay low for a while & the projects can wait!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
All quiet in the shop, lights out and heat low, just waiting!! I did manage to get those projects done that needed attention before I got my throat slit. Discomfort decreases by the hour now, have some swallowing issues still but can eat solids pretty well. Laying low may be three to four months at this juncture!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
All is healing well, docs PA called today asking how the discomfort was as if there was any. He did remark as to having a broken arm as example, takes 5-8 weeks to heal the bone, this will take as long so not to push too hard. I am listening.

ippielb

All is healing well, docs PA called today asking how the discomfort was as if there was any. He did remark as to having a broken arm as example, takes 5-8 weeks to heal the bone, this will take as long so not to push too hard. I am listening.
glad to hear things are going well, I just got X-rays again on my L5-S1 joint, hopefully its not surgery worthy and i can continue with my progression. Your situation is way more serious.

John C.

Occupation
How is your throat feeling? Do you have any dull ache in the back of your neck? Both took about three weeks before I just forgot the issue was there.

Keep on healing!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am amazed at the lack of issues with the neck work. My sore throat went away at five days, still have some light drainage tickling and need for throat clearing but that too is almost gone. No aches in neck save when I try to use a single pillow, guess I am stuck with two for the fore seeable future but the low back ache that was coming back IS BACK with a vengeance. Seems resting for the neck heal is kicking the low back into high gear, doc thinks may be due to a torn muscle or possibly scar tissue from last August work. I am walking a lot, we drop onto the KATY Trail every day to every other and walk close to two miles out two back.

Previous repairs were at L3/4,L4/5 and L5/S1, lots of stenosis and some hernia removed but then again may have re-popped one of those.