1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

More repairs due on this old machine

Discussion in 'Track Loaders' started by DMiller, Jan 6, 2017.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Had a visit with the back doc again today, lower area is hanging tough with a few hiccups, had one of his cohorts do a Carpal tunnel fix on me last month and that took well where my fingers no longer just go to sleep but today was a shocker. Knew I had neck issues, been getting harder to turn my head left and eventually it started to the right getting more painful as I go. 25+ years ago I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and now it has gone full out. C4/5, C5/6 and C6/7 are toast, we went thru what comes next which will be CT scans to determine sizes and will set appointment for some time in March for the three replacements. It was Docs recommendation not to fuse but to replace as tech has gotten considerably better, I just want to be ready for summer and all in one piece not aching or bothered with shooter pains.

Alternative is much worse but this old age poop pile sucks!!

2. Raildudes dad

Raildudes dad Well-Known Member

I can sympathize. Dec 4, 2016 I had L5, L6, and S1 fused. Bone spur in L4 causing rt leg ache / pain. 14 week recovery, I had favored the rt leg for almost 3 years resulting in loss of leg strength.

By Memorial Day, not a lot of improvement plus stiffness in my ankle, MRI and CAT scan revealed abnormally narrow spinal column w/ bone spurs. Dr put me in a stiff collar and wanted to operate in 2 days. Operated a week later from the back and opened up C3-6. I should have used a wheel chair to get to the surgical registration desk. That was June 9th. 7 week recovery - much easier than the lower back.

In November I had one of my followups. Discussed the stiffness now in both ankles with the aching still on the right. My option was wait and see what happens or another MRI. Guess what, another bone spur now visible inside on C-4 plus a herniated disk now that everything has "room". December 1st, C3 and C-4 fused w/ bone spur removal. Overnight in the hospital and back to work in 5 days. #3 was a piece of cake:)

I'd talk with your Dr. It took 7 weeks for my cervical surgical release and I did not have any fusion. You will be walking with a cervical collar watching your feet for a few weeks:) The PT lady was telling me that nerves will take a year to heal. Fortunately I have no permanent nerve damage. Finally asked the surgeon. He said 1 - 1 1/2 years. So I might be ache / pain free in the summer of 2018.

You're right, the alternative isn't good but getting old sure isn't for sissies :) None of spine issues were injuries or operating equipment related, just getting old.

Maybe we need a "Health" thread where we can share our old age stories LOL

3. wosama931b

wosama931b Senior Member

Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
    Payne is no fun, I feel for you. May lots of vitamins and food help, an yoga
    Help ease the pain. Take care sam, and don't forget the food for the sole.

4. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master IP rebuilder
    I feel for ya Miller.. I'm going down the same road.. I had my 2nd lower back surgery in 2yrs on Sept 1.. still recouping. They replaced 2 disks this time.
    They showed me the MRI and CT scans and said theres more to come..
    The neck looks terrible and I'm not looking forward to that.. they said I've probably got another 5 years till they go.
    and I'm only in my early 50's.. w/ more to come..
    A diesel mechanics life is hard on the ol' body.. but we just grin and bear it..

5. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Don't we though! I entered Diesel engine and heavy machine work in 1975, been a hard row hoed since. Lots of broken stuff besides the machines(meaning me). Saw quite a few lose their battles during the course of the years, a few died. Had to help recover a tire man from a exploded three piece wheel incident, gave new respect for those then but still see them on the roads. I have Uncle Arthir(itis) beating at the door in my sixties now. Still manage to outwork many of the kids around me setting fences, working animals and working machines, working harder/faster is not the key, working smarter is. At least I have a good physician that has if you can believe it a engineering degree, he designed and installs the replacement discs! He got my lower back into shape while telling me I could return to a normal life after as short as three weeks, took seven just to make certain it healed properly.

My neck has bothered me to the extent I thought was having a heart attack in '93, left arm ached bad, jaw hurt, burning in left shoulder, had family history of heart issues so went to ER. They sent me to a neurologist that found or determined had pinched nerves in my neck and the Degen Disc 'disease'. I asked but was declined as to wear and tear from work, seems we all mechanic types end up with this early on. Used the self hanging equipment(weighted head lift harness for home use) for years but gave up on that as it never really helped! and got tired of hanging myself!

6. CavinJim

CavinJim Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your woes DMiller! Is your engineer doc happen to be Dr. A. at Columbia Ortho? If so, he did my wife's back surgery about 8 years ago. He's a good one to have in your corner!

7. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Miles, and used to do work at Binkley which is now USF Holland. Great surgeon in my opinion!!

8. CavinJim

CavinJim Well-Known Member

Miles is a lot like Abernathie who even designs surgical tools. Good group there!

9. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Looks like March 15th for the hacking. Go in Feb 28th for pre-ops, ALL DAY! four appointments but should be well worth the exercise! I just hope am done as far as can get on the 7G bucket work prior, also have some flooring to set in basement and a few trees to drop and so on and so on ROFL!! Day never ends regardless the needs.

10. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Well closer than further away now, still a working day away from a two week pre-op vacation to see what I can finish up. Is also my birthday this week. I was born when the 955(12A) Traxcavator was 'New', no H or any other sub code, the 977 was a brand new design and earth moving was coming into its own as far as quick inexpensive and less labor for those doing the digging. Feeling a tad on the 'Old' side this day.

Lower back repair is suspect of not holding, will be part of the review work on the 28th as well consideration for additional downtime. Right butt cheek started aching again follows down right thigh and throbs at right pelvic bone ridge so suspect it isn't right not that I may have overdone anything in the last six months.

11. wosama931b

wosama931b Senior Member

Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
    Happy birthday week , and try not to work to hard . sam.

12. Metalman 55

Metalman 55 Senior Member

Sorry to hear the lower back repair is not holding up as it ought to DM. Pain can make for some unpleasant days & long nights too. I have had my problems too, but in a different way.

Hope they can get to the bottom of those problems for you...........you have a bucket to get fixed up!

13. Dickjr.

Dickjr. Senior Member

I hope all goes well. I enjoy reading your threads , you can tell a man that works by his knowledge and skill which you have plenty of both. This type work seems to take a toll on you for sure. At 43 , I came in last Friday and my kids made fun of me , said I looked like a nursing home resident. I fell asleep in the recliner , one shoe fell off , drooling and they said I sounded like a weed eater. They took pics on they're cell phones and shared them to they're buddies. I threatened to confiscate the phones. Get well , you have machines to tend too.

14. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic
    I had C4/5 and C5/6 fused two years ago now. I had the pain in my left shoulder to start with which worked its way down my arm to my hand. Found out that doctors and mechanics have a few things in common. Some can troubleshoot and many if not most can't. Anyway when I noticed that shaving caused my left hand to turn into a torch I mentioned it to hand doctor who immediately set up the MRI. When I got out of the machine the receptionist told me the doctor was waiting to talk to me. He walked me down to the spine surgeon who told me I had no option. I missed six weeks of work to make sure the bones healed together well. The pain from the operation was really minor compared to what I was feely before. The pain in my hand and shoulder were mostly gone after the operation but I still have a reminder of it all with the constant tingling in my hand. At any rate now I don't have to look at my hand when I climb onto a machine to see if it is holding on to something.

Let us know how the surgery goes for you. I would sure like to hear how the new technology works out.

15. thepumpguysc

Master IP rebuilder
    I know what ya mean John.. I lost ALL felling in my left foot after my back fusion.. Atleast I can move it.. just cant feel it..
    I thought I was gonna get released last week but the Dr. said, no.. He told me to lay on the floor and get back up..
    I looked like a turtle that's been rolled in its back.. He started laughing and said, lets try next month..
    I started working out as soon as I got back home from that appt.. it pi55ed me off..

16. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Been steady downhill roll for my spine. Neck was diagnosed 25 years ago but was told to put it off to as late as could take. Lower back was thirty nine years ago when the VooDoo docs of the day told me they could operate but I would be a crippled mess when done. Tech has come a long way, just hope my old systems are up to matching the repair work!

Weather has been good, was out last two days setting wood and T-post for a quarter mile of four strand wire. May have a dose of poison ivy to boot from clearing scrub with chainsaws. Never can get enough done!!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  17. thepumpguysc

Master IP rebuilder
    That's how I was Miller, go go go up until I couldn't go no mo.. TRYING to get everything done before the surgery..
    It cost me everything I held dear!!
    I got lazy and tired & didn't shut off my air compressor before I closed up the shop for the nite..
    cuz I was gonna be back out there "BRITE & EARLY" the next day.. WELL< the hose was laying across the motor & melted and caught fire..
    I lost it ALL.. All my tools, All my equipment, All my boats, golf cart.. EVERYTHING.. not to mention the customers injection pump I was working on at the time.. that cost me 1600.00 to replace.. ALL because surgery was in 2 days..
    SLOW THE HELL DOWN.. It'll be there when you get better..
    If I can keep 1 person from making the same mistake I did, it'll be worth all this typing.. Lol
    Good luck..

18. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    I hear ya!
    Wife is on my case too as she doesn't want me too broken down! Still have certain projects as a must complete by 3/14. Just getting while the getting still good.

Two possibly three surgeries coming up just do not want to be stareing at too many called ng my name projects that may entice my too soon attention.

19. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic
    It's nervous energy before a life event. I had it also before my surgery. Not knowing the future means your mind keeps trying to imagine all the possibilities and make as many preparations as possible for each anticipated outcome. It didn't hurt me before my operation but the wife kind of kept watch for any dumb things I might have done. If she barks, you need to listen and at least consider the order.

20. thepumpguysc

Master IP rebuilder
    Your EXACTLY RIGHT John.. that 5-600.00 I WAS GONNA make, would have paid acouple of months electric bill, and that's what I was thinking.. It ended up costing me around 40 thousand..
    Now that I sit back & think about it, I can hear the Ole Lady screamin her head off at me.. Lol
    Heed the warning Miller..