• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

Can't recall ever seing a Diamond T or Autocar in real life. Must not have been that popular out this way.

Diamond T and REO merged in 1967 and quit producing trucks in the mid to late 70's. Autocar is the oldest vehicle manufacture, since 1896. They still make garbage
trucks and yard goats. T's and A-Cars were not as popular as the big three but there were quite a few on the west coast years ago. The Autocar was fairly big in the
logging industry and construction. T's were more popular back then as OTR's.

Truck Shop[/QUOTE]

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I loved the old Diamonds in the Rough. First wrecker I drove was a 1957 Diamond T six cyl. Black Diamond gas, 4x3 WITH a two speed differential!! Had two buds that had Diamond Reo long hood conventionals, one with a 1693 Cat the other a 335 Cummins. Cat had a 4x4 double over drive two stick, the Cummins had a Air stick 5x4, both were set WAY up and both eventually had bad contract drivers smoke the engines powering in too long cooking pistons.
Almost every concrete company around here along with dump truck services used A-cars for forever, long lasting beat them like Red Headed step children wagons.

Truck Shop

White was a truck that wasn't that common on the west coast. Mainly dry freight companies used them, sometimes construction companies.

Truck Shop

7835276184_2d22697512_b.jpg DecOTTpic (1).jpg c7adb5c4-d856-4a67-9ac4-4e93.JPG

mitch504

That White 4000 was very common around here as a tandem, and the "construcktor" (steel hood) was popular too, especially with loggers. They were regarded a a cheap but capable truck. And, of course, Freightliner was the White Freightliner. White motor company built a bunch of other stuff like military vehicles and farm tractors. When Volvo decided to get into the US truck market, they bought White and GMC heavy's and made "WhiteGMC by VolvoGM
heavy truck corp". To start with they were just rebadged Whites, and the White cab became the Volvo cab that was used for a long time afterward.

crane operator

Don't see very many of these by us- the "supposed" rolls royce of trucks, a marmon ( I think I read the rolls royce thing in a article somewhere). I think I've seen this one and one cabover. The junkyard by me had a conventional and it got bought whole by a collector. This one is currently listed on purplewave- a online auction house.

DF9808.JPG

DF9808B.JPG

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/171130/item/DF9808

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Most often a self correcting condition, but with a lot of loose stuff!! I delivered fuel in the late 70's as a side job three days a week, drove a round fender A-car with White Velvet ride tandems and a beater 335 Cummins, one customer had above grade tanks we had to be careful with where one time a fella was cold, stepped inside to warm up while the on truck pump was filling one of those tanks. Well the engine surged then rolled back only to surge again. Seems he did not calculate the room they had left very well and no eyes on a stuck level indicator(float and cable)then the tank overflowed, onto the ground beside the truck where when the engine surged and shot a mass in it burped the engine would catch fumes and roll up then die back as the wind pushed them down only to burp the tank yet again. Lost almost 500 gallons and had to use the compression release to kill the engine. Got three pushrods doing that, the engine was never quite right after.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
These days driving around in a truck with these hood emblems could get you in trouble.

Truck Shop

View attachment 175455

I knew some firemen from around here that had to take a white painted fire truck with those emblems on the hood to LA in the Rodney King riots.

They somehow made it back and the truck was not burned down. I am sure it is in the scrap heap now.

I actually remember there were quite a few White trucks such as post 387 pic #2 and newer in logging related occupations back in the 1980s around here when you could still get permission to hurt a tree.

crane operator

Its really not a old truck, or even a classic truck, but I spotted this special at the junkyard today and thought I'd snap a picture or two.

It was made by someone really, really short. The roof isn't much taller than the seat backs, and I think you would have to take a run and dive to get into the sleeper. I have no idea where they came up with the windshield glass.

20171129_110715.jpg 20171129_110740.jpg

I think it was probably a car hauler special (or maybe boat hauler) with a roof rack. But that's only my guess, I don't know any other reason to be that short.

Truck Shop

And the only thing that could be good about a truck like that is it was done to a Velveeta/ Volvo.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
A music video of "Low
And the only thing that could be good about a truck like that is it was done to a Velveeta/ Volvo.

Truck Shop
That would be a perfect truck around here, most guys sit on the floor and look out under the top rim of the steering wheel anyways. I guess the huge Visors they run forces them to drive like that. Myself... I like to sit up and see over the hood.