• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I'm not a fan of mass light's either. If the wiring and connectors are not top quality the de-icer fluid used on the highways in winter will eat it up. Plus cost of LED's
and labor when you have other more important things to repair. And it gives the DOT that many more things to pick on.

Yup, I learned my lesson years ago... If it's on the truck it has to work whether it's DOT or not.
Got hung up coming back into Washington on I-90 over a stupid Perlux fog light. Told Lertis to "write it up and get me outta there." Jackass wanted to sit and lecture instead of giving a warning, and yes that was a defective equipment ticket.
I did use that to my advantage once to get into Washington from Oregon without issue once, I bobtailed down by Heppner to pick up a trailer for a guy and when I got there I found out it was a 9 foot wide Lacrosse military lowboy... nice, no oversize permit. So in Umatilla I cut off the left mud flap and headed for the Plymouth scale, got a warning for the mud flap and they never noticed the trailer was 9 feet wide. Whew.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Speaking of fun ones to do engine repairs on!

Truck Shop

View attachment 175119

Drove one of those old critters about 35 years ago, had the 5 window extended cab and some huge old 6 cylinder gas burner with a 5 speed with an air 2 speed rear end. It was ugly, rusty and I only had to drive it about 20 miles.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sweet!! Local Fire Department when growing up had two of these, both gas engine, one open top one closed cab. Wide Open Exhaust would rattle windows when left the fire hall!!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
That was the same cab used on the big Dodge trucks, as well as the 1958 - 1960 Dodge Power Giant pickups and 1 ton cab/chassis trucks. Not a lot of room in that cab.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That was the same cab used on the big Dodge trucks, as well as the 1958 - 1960 Dodge Power Giant pickups and 1 ton cab/chassis trucks. Not a lot of room in that cab.
That's quite the understatement... Cramped is my term. Got a customer that has an old Dodge 800 gasser fuel truck with a 413 that we tune and PM once a year or so. They are a cool looking truck though. I have worked on a few others over the years and one that really stands out was a 900 series that had been repowered with a Chevy 409 truck/industrial engine, who in their right mind...
In the mid 80's a local truck salvage yard had three 900 series tandem drives that were Air Force surplus, they had huge gas engines and 10 speed transmissions. Super nice clean trucks with low miles, I'm not sure where they went.
On another note... Didn't Dodge borrow the IH 549 V8 engine for some of their big boys, IIRC reading that somewhere.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I thought the 413 was as big as it got in gas engines for the big Dodge trucks. However, in that era, almost anything was possible from Dodge.

Truck Shop

The only engines I can find listed were 413's and 464, 672 or 743 cu. in Cummins for Dodge.

Truck Shop

crane operator

There used to be one of those big dodge's sitting at a quarry around here. I don't know if they still have it or not, they sold most of the old stuff out of there a couple years ago.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The only engines I can find listed were 413's and 464, 672 or 743 cu. in Cummins for Dodge.

Truck Shop

I did find a website for '61 to '71 Dodge trucks that does list the IH 478 and IH 534? as engine options for the 1000 series trucks. I think somebody has the 534 Ford confused with the IH 549. I don't recall a 534 IH V-8.

Truck Shop

I did find a website for '61 to '71 Dodge trucks that does list the IH 478 and IH 534? as engine options for the 1000 series trucks. I think somebody has the 534 Ford confused with the IH 549. I don't recall a 534 IH V-8.

I could see Dodge using IH engines bbbuuuuutttttttttttttt definitely not Ford and vise-verse.

Truck Shop