• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

crane operator

I've seen a couple drivers around here like that, you can only see the top brim of their hat above the drivers door in the window. I also don't know how they see to drive.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
For local driving I like the seat all the way up with just enough air let out that if I hit a big bump it goes down once, saving my back. Otherwise I like it pretty much fixed at the top. To help see in front when maneuvering.

This only works in some trucks because I am pretty tall, some trucks this will cause me to bash my head on the ceiling.

For long distances when not manuvering I like to have my seat in the middle of its travel and I also like to turn on the fore/aft spring slider thingy so I can hardly feel any bumps at all.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I've seen a couple drivers around here like that, you can only see the top brim of their hat above the drivers door in the window. I also don't know how they see to drive.
I think those guys don't want their mom to know they are truck drivers. For years I tried to tell my mother I was playing piano in a cathouse. Then she saw a truck with my name on the door... If it hadn't been in my driveway I may have been able to fool her. .

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was going to note the name said it all. In the 80's the lease company I worked for had steel companies with half cabs, car and boat haulers with Low Riders like this one, even had a couple specialized transports with low cabs and extreme length frames for hauling Rebar, on one there were four sections drive line, three support bearings to the front drive axle, rebar sat in bunks like logs with the trailer a short 38' with its own bunks so the rods could ride wide.

crane operator

The idea between pulling it in and out of gear on the split, is that then you don't make the split with the trans under torque. I don't shift that way, I just snap the button and blip the throttle and go, but I've known guys that shift like that.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I could see that, now that you mention it. But the instruction manual doesn't say anything like that.

I think that might only work with a low inertia transmission. With the old 13 speed I think pulling it out and splitting at the same time like that might result in being lost with both the main section and splitter sections out of sync and no way to get it back because a mid section is connected to neither the wheels nor the engine.

crane operator

I get a magazine called landline, its a trucking magazine they send out because I've got a common carrier.

Anyways they always have a article with pictures of someones "show" truck. This month (nov 2017) the truck is a big pete, and the sticks are maybe 5" below the ceiling. Notice I said sticks- according to the article its a 18 speed eaton, with a custom built two stick. Somehow they've got the second stick hooked to a air switch for the splitter (guessing from the pictures). And the articles are usually right because its advertising and written by a truck shop that built it.

So instead of a little lever by my leg, I want to throw a 5' one, and instead of a little button, now I need a second stick? Also 5' long? Of course its got the big visor, bumper 1" off the ground and the spikes sticking out on the chrome lug nut covers. And exhaust stacks that must be 8" around.

I'm glad we live in a free country, but some people should be saved from themselves....

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I get a magazine called landline, its a trucking magazine they send out because I've got a common carrier.

Anyways they always have a article with pictures of someones "show" truck. This month (nov 2017) the truck is a big pete, and the sticks are maybe 5" below the ceiling. Notice I said sticks- according to the article its a 18 speed eaton, with a custom built two stick. Somehow they've got the second stick hooked to a air switch for the splitter (guessing from the pictures). And the articles are usually right because its advertising and written by a truck shop that built it.

So instead of a little lever by my leg, I want to throw a 5' one, and instead of a little button, now I need a second stick? Also 5' long? Of course its got the big visor, bumper 1" off the ground and the spikes sticking out on the chrome lug nut covers. And exhaust stacks that must be 8" around.

I'm glad we live in a free country, but some people should be saved from themselves....

I think the little boy with the "show truck" should drive a real 5X4 setup for a while. Bet that second stick would go away fast.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I really miss the point of the 4 foot shift lever. Maybe the guy just doesn't know how to cut down the Fuller universal replacement stick? I like to have the Knob next to my right knee.

Many times I have been whacked in the side of my right knee by that shifter. It is amazing how far side to side it can travel on a washboard road. If you tried to pull it that far with your hand it feels like it would break.

But up by the ceiling it would probably hit me in the head instead, and that would be worse.

hvy 1ton

There is a really silly video on youtube somewhere they guy has an 18 speed and the high/low and spilter each have a stick and he takes it out of gear every time he splits. I don't know if someone worked up a linkage for that or they are just hooked to an air valve.

Truck Shop

Most of the engines put out plenty of power that even weights of 115,000 you can just straight stick a 13 or 18. If your climbing a grade you may as well just
drop a full gear your going to end up in that gear anyway. 18's are good for true heavy haul but are useless on a OTR. Hell I straight stick a 13 and only split
8th direct.

Truck Shop

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Because you are not "cool" if you don't shift every gear possible going through the parking lot.

Heck, if light or downhill I might skip 3rd or even 5th entirely, but I agree the rev range of modern engines makes all that shifting unnecessary. I wonder what the sales volume of 13/18 speeds is compared to years ago? Seems like 10 speeds are more popular than ever.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I was bad for cross shifting if I did not need the gears, 3-5 and then same in upper gates just drop into OD and leave it there let the engine do the work! Also having had to rebuild the top covers on boxes because some 'Herder' had to have four foot of shift lever above the floor and it would free swing only to destroy the rail gates and the pivot pin slot. We drove trucks, not herded them down the driveway.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic

I've driven that way since damn near day one. I know where that hood is :). Only time I'll sit up is backing up in tight quarters or when I'm getting the neck back on the trailer. I've got mirrors. Don't need to be sitting way up there. Don't need rookie sticks on the bumper or mirrors on the hood corners either! Haha.

It's how I'm comfortable. To each his own. Damn sure don't need those dumba$$ tall shifters or the wannabe twin stick setup up either. I'm so impressed you can move a lever that activates an air valve. Momma must be proud! Let's see em drive a 5+4, tri-plex, quad box or the old 4x4 Spicer. I can drive them quite well even though their heyday was long before I came to be! :cool:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am rusty as a old shovel but I cut my teeth on 4 or 5 & 2 straight trucks the 5x4 two stick, Mack's Duplex and Triplex, the old Air shift 4x4 and the Awesomely easy to drive Fuller 10/13/15's. All manor of odd home built, custom builds to get low HP engines to work as hard as possible.