• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

McAninch pull type scrapers

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
They run D11R's with converted 651 pans too. I am going to try to post some pics of them here, if the BB will let me....these pics feature my dakota and my 93 D350, for size comparison....

Attachments

• D11_D350_small.JPG
    D11_D350_small.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 12,186
  • D11R_Dakota_small.JPG
    D11R_Dakota_small.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 12,254

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
2 at a time, so be it.....second features my friend Pam, she's an operator too..she's about 5'3", can ya' tell it's a big dozer?

Attachments

• D11R_small.JPG
    D11R_small.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 12,759
  • Pam_D11R_small.JPG
    Pam_D11R_small.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 21,397

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
These pics were taken here in Omaha in 2006, they were doing a shopping center here. Here are some other pics from the job, they had a number of D8-9-10's with pans, 631 and 641 pull pans. I never actually got to see the D11 working, unfortunately....

Attachments

• D10R-1_small.JPG
    D10R-1_small.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 13,148
  • D10R-2_small.JPG
    D10R-2_small.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 11,706
  • D10R-641_small.JPG
    D10R-641_small.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 11,803
  • D10T-631_small.JPG
    D10T-631_small.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 13,024

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
More job pics....

Attachments

• Macjob2_small.JPG
    Macjob2_small.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 11,687
  • Macjob3_small.JPG
    Macjob3_small.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 11,701

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Very very cool, how much dirt did they have to move?

I'd love to see one of their operations one of these days, especially with the 11/651's, or maybe even their new(er) 5110's and 777's.

keep the excellent pictures coming!:thumbsup

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I never saw anyone running those when I lived in NE, dam I missed out on D9/10s years ago. I think I like pushpulls better still speed kills but it beats going slow.
:Cowboy

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator

Mass-X

I was going to make separate post about this, but will go ahead and ask here.

What's the benefit of running a dozer pulled scraper? In contrast to conventional scrapers?

I know that McAninch Corp. is a well established and profitable earthmoving company, so I'm sure there's a reason. But I just can't see how they're faster, lower cost or easier to maintain than single or twin engine scrapers or pull-pans in soft conditions.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this? I know there must be a reason for this system considering the company owns such a large fleet of dozer pulled scrapers, I just haven't found that answer or figured it out myself.

Deas Plant

Crawler pulled pans.

Hi, Folks.
Yes, there are still a few 'dinosaurs' out there. There are a LOT of posts on the old ACMOC BB from and about a gentleman in England who still uses 8 Cat D8K's and converted Cat 463 scrapers to move largish volumes of material on a fair number of jobs around his way.

You can find most of these posts here. Just look for anything posted by Roly D8K.

http://acmoc.phpwebhosting.com/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=123599b4afa75bb3022000789cd6d2d0

Please try NOT to drool over the pages. Other people want to view them too.

You all have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Mike J

I read something on McAninch's web site a while ago, I think it was an article out of a magazine. Anyway it didn't go into a whole lot of detail as the artile was about the company and how it started and so on. It just said that the regular scapers weren't effiecent enough and that they reduced the fuel consumption of support equipment by a lot.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I know the afternoon I was watching them work, in the muddy parts of the job the moisture content was running 18-25%, those tractors would just keep going. I remember thinking that they were making as good or better time than the 627's I run could, as I'd have been in second gear at full throttle for minutes on end just to wade through the stuff.
The crawlers don't waste time waiting for a push cat, or pump loading just to get a half load on, and then have to wade to the fill to get rid of it again.
How they make money on a longer haul, or in good material, I don't know.
They make their own haul roads, so no expense using a grader there.
The cat/can combos didn't tear the job up as bad as rubber tired units would have, which is important in Nebraska in the summer, as rain can come along with short warning.
They had a large disc and several compactors processing the fill, laid down in thin lifts and covering a large surface area. They were loading dryer soil in these pics, to mix the fill. Something you have to do a lot in this area.
You frequently have to make several fills on jobs around here, lay a wet pass down and then move away for a day or so while the material is disked to dry it out. Either that or haul from different cuts to blend wet and dry dirt together.
Still not sure how they make money with undercarriage costs what they are.
alan627b

Mass-X

That makes sense. I can see how conditions in areas with higher levels of precipitation would call for methods like that, where dozer-pulled scrapers would fit the bill.

hvy 1ton

From what I have seen they will go to excavator/truck after the dozer/pan becomes inefficient due to haul distance. They have at least twice as many track loaders as they do self-propelled scrapers.