• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

McAninch pull type scrapers

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
From what I have seen they will go to excavator/truck after the dozer/pan becomes inefficient due to haul distance. They have at least twice as many track loaders as they do self-propelled scrapers.
That is true, the artics will go where the scrapers can't but....
then you need a dozer or compactor to spread the stuff out, which packs the mud down, then a disc to loosen it back up and dry it, so I guess it depends on your operation plan..they had ADT's on this job too, and used them with a 385 excavator to re route a creek that ran through the job.
That dirt was even worse....and black too. They must have a way to make it pay, to get as big as they are.

And a lot of the soil in Iowa is even worse than it is in Nebraska. Probably why stuff grows so well, at least until we build stuff on top of it. It seems like we are growing more houses around here than anything. I wonder if it will bite us in the ass someday though....
Listen to the Kansas song, "Song For America" sometime....
alan627b

Last edited:

DPete

I have a Cat D8K & can I use for close dirt and any material that isn't suitable for a 623. Most people here in Ca. snicker at it but it is a very versitile machine when the going gets tough call in a crawler. The scraper is simple and has low operating cost but I wouldn't want a fleet of them . DP

Gavin84w

No operator on the scraper to pay, no tyres spun on the scoop, no brakes to repair and come to mention it an engine or trans, no deisel costs, minimal haul road to maintain, gradients are not an issue along with wet jobs and it goes on from there but they would be some of the savings to start with. I would think some sort of blade on the tractors may make them a little more versatile but obviously they have it figured out and always enough support gear around knowing them.

I heard they are the only contractor Caterpillar allows to do there own warranty work.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I heard they are the only contractor Caterpillar allows to do there own warranty work.

They are one of a very few contractors allowed to do their own warranty work, but not THE only one. The company I work for is also certified by Cat to do their own warranty work on our machines. I'm sure it is a very short list however.:cool2

fensoncont.

From what I have gathered McAninch doesn't want there cycle times to get much over 4 minutes. I read somewhere that they don't put those on more than a 1000' haul route. Say that the dozer is going 8 mph. That is 2.84 minutes total travel time. Say .5 minutes loading time (correct me there), then .4 minutes unloading (correct me there). So thats about 3.7 minutes total. Then the D11R is burning about 20 gal./hour (since its pulling a scraper). The machine rate for the dozer is less, there taking off the blade. No cylinders, pins, lines etc. to worry about up there. Then there taking away from the front half of a pan, no engine to worry about. All they got to wory about is apron cylinders, ejector, and cylinders for raising the bowl. Then again your adding lines for the dozer/pan hookup. So theres a less rate there as well. I'm sure McAninch isn't real greedy, so not a whole lot of markup put on the hourly rates. So there is the efficiency and lower cost on the pull pans in my opinion.

Neil D

Occupation
contractor
Gavin,I think one reason they do not have a blade on is too much weight to the front of the tractor. I remember years ago hanging round jobs and listening to the drivers talk and I remember someone talking to this guy Charlie Moffat who was operating a 68A and box. Charlie was asked why the blade was still on and I remember him telling the guy he was only needing a small piece of box work done and he was just putting up with the hassle as the tractor was badly balenced with the blade on until he was finished.
Perhaps some of the other tractor and box men could explain

Neil

Deas Plant

Blades off for towed scraper work

Hi, Neil D.
The main reason for taking the blade off of a dozer for towed scraper work is improved manouverability and visibility but it is a +/- situation because you do lose a fair bit traction by removing the blade.

I once ran a Cat D7E with a LeTourneau Model LP scraper hauling sand in a marshy area. on one trip back to the borrow area, I pulled a clump of reeds out of the middle of the haul road with the scraper cutting edge and dumped it off to the side. When I came back with the next load, the rear end of the tractor dropped through the ground as it passed over here I had pulled the reeds out of the ground - and I mean DROPPED through. And I was BOGGED.

If I had still had the blade on, I can see one of two scenarios happening:

1. The extra weight on the front of the machine would have dropped the front through the ground first, in which case I may, reapeat M-A-Y, have been able to back out.

2. If the front had gone across the spot where I had taken the reeds out and it was still the back end that dropped through, I might well have had enough extra traction to pull out of it, which then poses the question, what might have happened when the loaded scraper got to that point?

I guess I'll never know the answer to either of those scenarios. And all that for removing a clump of reeds. My employer of the time was going to buy a block in that sub-division, right up until he saw the tractor bogged and saw what was under it - 60 feet of black, oozy silt with only about 2-3 feet of sand over it. And they have built houses on it. Countryboy, could we have another rousing cheer, please?

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Big Mac orders their scraper tractors without the blades, I assume maybe they convert older dozers. Then again, I doubt there are too many "old" D9T's yet...it killed me that their pull scrapers had better tires than most of our self propelled ones!
I saw one of thier D11's, 3 days old from Cat in Peoria, at a Cat show in Iowa in 2003. Cost of that tractor, with no blade and the hydraulic system for the 651 pan it pulled, was $1.3 million...!
It's impressive, to say the least.
alan627b

jamesbrokman

$1.3 million each is alot plus the price of the pan, for that price you could have 4 jd 9520 set ups with dual 21 yard pans on each, so if you had 3 d11's you could have 12 jd 9520's, they must have money to burn, that dozer would sure have to move alot of dirt to pay for itself

pushkid84

cool!

we dont have any thing like these here i have heard abuot them though. i think it is really cool how operations change from state to state< we commonly have to use haul trucks. but we had a chance to run some 621's in sand it was a blast! does anyone know about how far the turn around is for these set ups? i could see how it could be rough on the under carriage, what is the standard lifespan for an under carriage on these set ups?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums jamesbrokman! :drinkup

pushkid84

$1.3 million each is alot plus the price of the pan, for that price you could have 4 jd 9520 set ups with dual 21 yard pans on each, so if you had 3 d11's you could have 12 jd 9520's, they must have money to burn, that dozer would sure have to move alot of dirt to pay for itself

hey jamesbrokman.
you make a great point! that is alot of money! we used a case farm tractor with dual cans and it worked great, i think they are probably alot faster too. one thing to think about is if the company in question has to deal with some bad wet clay these tractors may be the ticket. i have also heard about a machine they use in the south that is like a scraper/ dozer hybrid. does any one know what i am talking about? if so please post some pics:D

ror76a

I would like too see those 4 john deeres do anything but sit and spin their wheels in the wet sicky hard clay that these crawlers work in effecintly. Im sure the tractor & pans would be better in ideal conditions, but they would have to be amazingly efficent to offset the time they would spend sitting waiting for it to dry out, well the dozer & pan would still be working (be it not the most efficent). On the other end is the excavator & off road truck, less efficent than scrapers (for short hauls), but capible of working in just about any conditions. The big factor would be local moisture and material conditions, and if you have enough time to wait for dry weather.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
tracks vs rubber tires

For years, the only way to go was catpan combos, then we had our first self loading rubber tire scraper. Very awesome cept if you ever need to top load it it was a pain, and lil bit of rain and you were done for the day. Here at my new job my boss and I have been trying to do some calculating on what would be the best possible set up for our quarry stripping and still have equipment useable for other types of work that we may need to do. Right now we are using two ADT's, an excavator and dozer for most of the quarries. Biggest problem we have alot of times is man power, they usually take some dumptruck drivers from one of the plants to come and help us, but as soon as they are needed, there gone from us. We are going to look into scraper tractor/pan comobs next spring. Try them out, see how many different things we can use them for, cost, and most of all being efficient.

As far as the pull scrapers go, we just sold one of our old ones(BEE GEE) to a farm impliment dealer for $4000 more than we paid for it new(in the 60's) and he has been renting it out to famers to pull behind big four wheel drive tractors and such. Still pulling it with a dozer in swampy or wet conditions is the best way to go, but for quick turnaround and long hauls the tractor wins.
Trbo

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Hi, Folks.
Yes, there are still a few 'dinosaurs' out there. There are a LOT of posts on the old ACMOC BB from and about a gentleman in England who still uses 8 Cat D8K's and converted Cat 463 scrapers to move largish volumes of material on a fair number of jobs around his way.

You can find most of these posts here. Just look for anything posted by Roly D8K.

http://acmoc.phpwebhosting.com/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=123599b4afa75bb3022000789cd6d2d0

Please try NOT to drool over the pages. Other people want to view them too.

You all have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Here's the link after some searching:

http://acmoc.phpwebhosting.com/view...ys=0&postorder=asc&highlight=roly+d8k&start=0