• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco hydraulic excavators

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
PARTS & SERVICE MGR. AMOUNG OTHER HATS @ KOBELCO D
hi barnesrl,
your best bets are to try,

1) QUEST HYDRAULICS INC.
2880 HWY. 20 EAST
FONTHILL, ON, L0S 1E6
Canada
ph: (905) 892-4255
bob@questhydraulics.com
http://www.questhydraulics.com/

bob can either sell you a rebuild or rebuild yours

2) H&R Construction Parts & Equipment Inc.
20 Milburn Street
Buffalo, NY, 14212
United States
BOB WITTMANN
ph: (800) 333-0650
ph: (716) 891-4311 Ext. 4138
bwittmann@hrparts.com
http://www.HRparts.com

they offer rebuilds too

just let both know that i referred.
cheers!

K909

Thank you very much for your help. ( I haven't logged on here in over a month)

We are having the K3V pump completely rebuilt and we should have it back in a week to 10 days. When it warm up some I will e-mail you to make sure that I get the electronics to the solenoid working properly.

Again, thanks for volunteering your time and knowledge.

Sam

Sripola

hi Sripola,
i have had cpu 17 come up now and then.
first check your 5 amp fuses supplying power to the computer.
if fuse loosens off you'll get a voltage drop and in some cases the cpu 17 will display.
keep me posted.

Hi Mr. Kobelco,
Thanks for your reply. We basically had an electrician check the CPU and he told us that the CPU was receiving power (mentioned about 2 power inputs to the CPU) and he opened it up and checked and told us that some parts of the board were not getting power. So took it away, tested it and told us that the board was actually ok apart from a couple of dry joints.

Anyways, plugged it in and still get the same error code. So i will try your tip and get back to you.

Will get back to youa asap

Cheers,
Imran

Sripola

Hi Mr. Kobelco,

One more question, would you happen to have the electrical schematics for this machine?

Cheers

PD Mech Steve

FYI Everyone. We have a Kobelco SK220LC-IV that we are parting out. Major fire damage but decent U/C, good finals, swing brg, stick, boom and more. Cummins engine is good as well. Needs some cleaning and few hoses but starts and runs like a champ. If anyone is interested feel free to contact us at: sales@pdmechanical.com or visit our website at: www.pdmechanical.com.

fordfairlane

Hi MR. Kobelco. We have our problem with our recently bought Kobelco SK200 Mark V from 1996 with 9500 hours. Serialnr: YN19598.

It´s some problem with the stepmotor. If you turn the key to ignition you can hear the stepmotor turning and then klicking. If you look at it you can see it pulling in the arm to the pump and then witch a snap return to the starting position over and over again. It can go on for up to 30-40 seconds and then an message saying "error S/PT step motor" appears in the window.

After that you can start the machine but the machine is weak in the engine and hydraulics. If you turn the key from off to ignition enough times and let the stepmotor settle in between the stepmotor will eventually just turn and stay where it is supposed to and you can start the machine and it runs like it is supposed to with good power. Problem is you dont want to spend 30 min to an hour turning the ignitionkey on and off once a minute just to get it going.

How do I fix this. Is it a problem with the stepmotor or an adjusting thing. The Machine is old and we use it to build roads in the forest so budget solution where we dont have to buy an new stepmotor would be nice :)

Thanks in advance / Samuel from Sweden

finaldrive

Occupation
Business Owner
If you do require a new stepping motor, I have brand new units for about half of dealer cost.
I can't troubleshoot the motor like Adam (MR KOBELCO) can, but I can help save you money on a new unit.

jimmymorrisonjr

First off, Thank you for all the support Mr. Kobelco. I really appreciate knowing there is support for my 5 Kobelco's. I have actually recieved good manufacturer support for these machines, but I have heard stories of others who have not.

As for the stepping motor problems that was recently posted, I would be willing to bet it is a wiring harness issue. I had a friend with a similiar issue, did a pin out and everything seemed fine. I guess those wires can cross talk without a short. I believe there is a shield for the wires to the stepping motor that can go bad. I don't understand it at all, but it proves to be te harness in many cases. Stepping motors don't usually lose calibration for no reason. One more concern is that if it is the harness you can ruin a controller by running it that way. Oh, not to carry on, but there is a position switch that tells the computer the stepping motor is at the end of it's travel, make sure that is working. Hope I haven't made it worse.

fordfairlane

Thanks for the advice jimmymorrisonjr. I will check the positionswitch and the harness for any visible damage tomorrow

Sripola

Hi guys,

Just to let you know we found the issue with our 220-3, turns out a harness was damaged and anyways repaired it and machines a good un!

Cant believe we spent nearly a month scratching our heads and even took apart the computer because of the error codes we were getting

wsw

Wow man you seem like a really good guy and knowledgable too I will keep you in mind as I ocaisionally work on Kobelco's

pastor

Hello sir,

My father in law and I purchased a Kobelco sk120 mk v series III excavator. We think it is a grey market machine. He is very good at working on machines and has rebuilt cat bulldozers, but this our first excavator. We have had some problems however. When we turn on the machine, the travel sensor (right) comes on, and we know it's because the previous owner detached the sensor from the block for some reason, but we'll replace it in short order. However, the motor will run for about an hour, then the P1 sensor will come on, the engine will shut down, and then it's impossible to start again. We switched the sensors and the P1 shut code disappeared. Then we had to prime the system by bleeding out the air from the fuel injector pump and then opened a line at an injector until we had fuel and then, and only then, did it start. Then it ran fine. We shut it down because it was late. Next morning we started up and it ran fine. Then after an hour, there was a rattle in one of the hydraulic lines on the boom, then the engine cut back, the P2 sensor turned on, and we shut it down. I changed the sensors, (to shut off the P codes, which worked) and bled air out of the fuel injector pump again, but it would not start. It seems to suck air into the fuel lines somehow. It's a mystery. Anyone have any ideas? Is the computer shutting us down? Is it losing fuel pressure when it worked beautifully for an hour?

There are other problems, we'll get to them, but having a reliable start is first and foremost.

Thanks

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
hi pastor,
mark v is a grey market
i can likely help find your problem
but i will need your ser# and also engine mfg & model
plus a digital picture of inside your cab of switches and cab monitor display
please e-mail me this info i have requested to hf_hydraulics@hotmail.com
cheers!

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
hi fordfairlane,
sounds to me it can be needing an adjustment and/or the ball joints on the rod are seizing up, can also be the wiring to the limit switch for the computer sensing the stepper motor starting point and off point maybe shorted or a break in the wire.
the stepper motor limit switch is the one harness in the shape of a triangle.
the kobelco only uses 2 of the 3 wires. kobelco electrical schematics reference the wires of the kobelco harness only by colour and such and not the wiring of said component.
i can likely help,
i will need a digital picture of inside the cab, switches, buttons and cab display monitor, also the engine mfg & model and a picture of your stepper motor which should include the mechanical linkage hookups.
e-mail to hf_hydraulics@hotmail.com
please note: do NOT force stepper motor linkage with ignition switch on powering up machine for you will burn out the computer.
cheers
adam.

Sandis Dad

We recently bought a Kobelco SK 30UR at an auction. It's a great looking machine but we need Owners/Users manals and maybe parts list. Everyone that we have contacted say it is a "gray market" machine and no one has any info on it. What is the difference between the SR and UR? Not sure what type hydraulic fluid to use. We aren't sure where to find the SN (most everything is in Japanese), the only number we found so far that we recognize is: PR00991. Any help is appreciated.

fordfairlane

Hi MR.Kobelco. We searched the machine today for broken cables and found that the four cables going from the stepmotor was once cut off and the original harnesscoupling removed and replaced with tape. Has been some problems here before we bought the machine?? We remade the connection with new couplings . I didn.t help so we took the stepmotor out and opened the lid to the microswitch. It seemed to be broken cause it didn´t make a circuit when you depressed the button and measured it with a multimeter. Luckily we had a new microswitch at the garage which was basically the exact same component but different color. We replaced it and going to try the stepmotor in the machine tomorrow. Hope this was the problem otherwise I´ll be back with pictures and the info you requested before.

Also I had a question regarding the Powerboost in the right handle. When holding it down it doesn´t seem to make the machine any stronger. It gets slow almost "locked" in the movement and weaker in the hydraulics. Could this also be related to the stepmotorproblem? I have managed just fine with the power already in the machine but if the function is there it would be great if it worked.

Any suggestions??

/ Thanks in advance. Samuel Steen

fordfairlane

Today we put the stepmotor back in the machine with the replaced limit microswitch. It worked out almost perfect. Stepmotor finds the starting position right away The engine rpms though seems to have raised 100-150 revs in all three diggingmodes H S FC aswell as idle from before we took the stepmotor out and from what the shopmanual recommends. I dont think this is a big problem if you just dont pull the lever all the way back to full but check the rpms instead to keep from overreving.

Unless this is affecting other stuff like hydraulic pumps and such. If it is a problem then we have to adjust it in some way. Im looking forward to trying the machine out in some heavy digging again to see if this has had other positive effects on the machine performance

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
We recently bought a Kobelco SK 30UR at an auction. It's a great looking machine but we need Owners/Users manals and maybe parts list. Everyone that we have contacted say it is a "gray market" machine and no one has any info on it. What is the difference between the SR and UR? Not sure what type hydraulic fluid to use. We aren't sure where to find the SN (most everything is in Japanese), the only number we found so far that we recognize is: PR00991. Any help is appreciated.

hi,
most of the UR i have seen have the offset boom.
the serial number likely is the PR-00991
for a parts cat and operators manual try contacting Leonard over at Farmers Equip
http://www.farmersequip.com/lynden-location.htm
he would be the best bet to purchase these catalogs in english language.
once you have a parts cat if i cannot help with parts he likely could.
cheers!
adam.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
Today we put the stepmotor back in the machine with the replaced limit microswitch. It worked out almost perfect. Stepmotor finds the starting position right away The engine rpms though seems to have raised 100-150 revs in all three diggingmodes H S FC aswell as idle from before we took the stepmotor out and from what the shopmanual recommends. I dont think this is a big problem if you just dont pull the lever all the way back to full but check the rpms instead to keep from overreving.

Unless this is affecting other stuff like hydraulic pumps and such. If it is a problem then we have to adjust it in some way. Im looking forward to trying the machine out in some heavy digging again to see if this has had other positive effects on the machine performance

hi,
the stepper motor has to be adjusted correctly and a computer adjustment procedure followed.
this will all have to do with the machine horsepower control by the controller cpu.
as far as the power boost, yes the machine hydraulics will slow down but the hydr pressure should rise.
this is if the main relief has been set right and the psv solenoid works as should.
power boost button on the joystick is for momentary use only, for increased bucket breakout force.
the heavylift switch is for longer use when craning holding up a heavy load once lifted.
both buttons cut the pumps flow and raise the hydr system pressure.
if i get pictures i will have an idea of your cab, switches, engine and stepper motor i can send you a generic adjustment procedure to follow. it should work for you.
cheers!
adam.

ltlewade17

Mr. Kobelco I have a SK030-2, I love the machine, but hate the cost of parts in my area. I need an igintion switch which the dealer wants $163.00(US) and a sight glass $64.00 and suggestions, the next closest dealer was half the price but said he couldnt ship them to me because it was not his area. I really dont want to use a differant kind of switch, and redo a bunch of wiring but for those prices I might just check the Hyd. oil by unbolting the top and rewire the switch