• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco hydraulic excavators

K909

K909 LC II Main Hydraulic Pump

Hi Adam,

I have a pretty rough farm machine that is in need of a new main pump...(pcs scattered everywhere..:eek:)

It is a K909 LCII, serial # LLU0117 It has the Mitsubishi engine.

I have 2 questions...

1) Where could I find a reasonably priced replacement pump?

2) Are there other pumps (by part number) that will interchange with this?
I have found a Kobelco main pump on ebay, but it is off of a SK200LC II with part # 2437U389F3

If it matters...none of the electronics..H/M/L speeds etc work on this machine. We just need it to pump fluids to do work around a farm.

Sam K
Arkansas

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
PARTS & SERVICE MGR. AMOUNG OTHER HATS @ KOBELCO D
hi Sam (K909),

the KOBELCO online parts catalog for your machine shows your hyd pump assy part number to be a 2437U206F1, this supercedes to a new part number 2437U206F3.

you can confirm this by recording the numbers stamped into the oe kawasaki tag.
record the kawasaki number for Quest Hydraulics requires this part number as well
ie; K3V..., or NV###.... the kobelco number will be identified as " USE FOR 37U206F# "

your best bets are to try,

1) QUEST HYDRAULICS INC.
2880 HWY. 20 EAST
FONTHILL, ON, L0S 1E6
Canada
ph: (905) 892-4255
bob@questhydraulics.com
http://www.questhydraulics.com/

bob can either sell you a rebuild or rebuild yours

2) H&R Construction Parts & Equipment Inc.
20 Milburn Street
Buffalo, NY, 14212
United States
BOB WITTMANN
ph: (800) 333-0650
ph: (716) 891-4311 Ext. 4138
bwittmann@hrparts.com
http://www.HRparts.com

they offer rebuilds too

just let both know that i referred.
cheers!

Al Q

Sk170-8 stepping motor

I have a sk170-8 with 2600 hrs. The Rpms were down a little from spec, so called my dealer and they did an "A" adjustment and all seemed good. I shut the machine off and restarted after lunch and now the engine will not rev. When the engine is started the stepping motor surges. Any thoughts would be appreciated

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
hi Al Q,
a few possibilities...1) they messed up and did not do the A adj properly with the linkages on the stepper motor...could be off a spline if the mechanic removed the link off the splines? 2) they did not change the ball joints or even tighten the nuts up
if you are able, have someone turn the key on and physically watch (observe only) the stepper motor travel
or a wiring connection has come loose and its not finding the limit switch (internal in the stepper motor.
whatever you do do NOT yank on the stepper motor with the key powered on...you will fry the computer.
question: before you turn off the machine do you bring the throttle dial returning it right down to the low idle position?
if not, the computer may not realise on the key on that you are at decel speed which is approx 100 or so higher engine rpm over low idle.
it may drive the stepper motor all the way up to full and hitting the high stop.
at any rate if it is hitting the stops the A adj was not done 100%, they should redo.
if you are not bringing the throttle down to low before letting the engine idle for a few minutes before shutting off start...or you will end up needing a turbo.
cheers!
p.s./ please let me know your ser# and call me at work and we'll get your computer version.
the computer should not drive the stepper motor up to full rpm on key on, even if the throttle is on high when you start the engine. it should be failed safed. if so i'll have to report this to kobelco's attention.

Al Q

Thanks for the quick reply. I do turn the throttle dial down every time I shut down the engine. The dealer mech thinks my stepper motor has failed, but it has never showed any trouble before the A adjustment. I will need to operate the machine before the dealer can get a new one. So to open the throttle manually would I have to remove the linkage? I have owned every series of this size of Kobelco since 1993 and have never replaced a stepper or computer

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
hi Al Q,
before you follow below
wd40 the ball joints. lubricant spray stinger under the boots of each ball joint and soak.

if it ends up, i'm sure it will, and you must run the machine, with the power off, remove the linkage off the stepper motor and fuel inj pump at the ball joints where they bolt. do not adj the rod length.
the throttle can then be controlled manually. do not rev to the high stop. your display will read the rpm, do not over rev.
i doubt its the stepper motor.
i can send you the a adj procedure.
if they goofed, they should correct and make the adj proper.

K909

hi Sam (K909),

the KOBELCO online parts catalog for your machine shows your hyd pump assy part number to be a 2437U206F1, this supercedes to a new part number 2437U206F3.

Thanks for your help...:thumbsup

Now... for a really tough question ( I may be way over my head) :Banghead

This is a farm machine and I know very little about heavy equipment and hydraulics. I have however removed the entire pump before and replaced a coupler, put a thumb on and replaced the hydraulic tubes/lines on the boom/stick/bucket...I can replace "parts" I just don't know how they actually all "work".

Currently none of the electronics work. This means that we have no high, low transport speed and that the breakout button on the right stick does not work. RPM's do not increase/decrease as machine works etc. (I don't understand how people can be so rough on equipment, but you can lift the entire instrument panel out of the console and nothing is still connected.)

Anyway, to my question... Would there be any possible way to wire up a separate high/medium/low switch and breakout force button from scratch? If this can be done I'm certain that I can do it with a description of how it works and what parts are necessary.

Thanks in advance...

Al Q

Having the "A" adjustment procedure would be very handy. Should the linkage be a certain length, perhaps a min and max? Does the computer usually fail shortly after there is a stepper motor failure?

Al Q

I think all Kobelco owners should have the A procedure for their particular model as it is sort of a maintainance item

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
hey Al Q,
ask and you shall receive.
an e-mail is coming your way.
deal is you'll require my help thru this.
cheers!

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
hi hitachi daft,
regarding your 80msr,
please e-mail me a digital picture of your machine cab side shot, of inside your cab, switches, consoles, monitor display, and your engine and its throttle control / speed governor
with this i should be able to figure out
cheers!

hitachi daft

Occupation
plant fitter
hi mr kobelco got some info from dealership on what to do will try that first and let you know if it worked thanks for getting back to me

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
hi K909,
the eng rpm auto-decel is not that important. to make it proper it will cost you quite a bit. you can control the engine rpm manually. your throttle is cable control anyways.
you are better off putting the money into ensuring that the mechatro-controller is fully operating as it should. make sure that all the harnesses are connected.
there will be one that is not.
this computer is the box fixed to the end of the right hand console.
its' function is horse power control.
it reads the eng rpm sensor, the throttle potentiometer on the side of the fuel injection pump and based upon the readings will send a mA current to the solenoid on your pump to destroke the swash of the pumps as to remove the load off the engine so not to stall it out. you do not want the hyd pump to run at full stroke under load or it will cause too much force on the pumps rotating groups squashing the piston shoes.
these electronics of the machine must be operational or you will risk overloading and destroying the hyd pump you have rebuilt or reman that was purchased.
please e-mail me at hf_hydraulics@hotmail.com as so i can better help.
there are setup procedures i can send you.
you should also verify that the hyd pilot (remote) hoses are connected to the proper fitting on the pumps before you start.
with the ignition in the "on" position you should be reading with a digital volt meter
on the two wires to the solenoid of the pumps 24 vdc.
in the right hand console on the side plate, close to the cab floor and just ahead of the computer there should be an access hole. in that hole there is a kpss release switch, with this switch flicked down -> computer control is on.
obviously facing up is "off" or "release".
release is a limp mode. you never want to run the machine prolonged this way.
its too hard on the hyd pumps.
cheers!

ricko836

Kobelco wont start, its a SK130, serial # YPU2331 and it has 4881.5hrs. Our employee messed it up when trying to start it, not sure exactly what they did but I know they used jumper cables and a boost box at the same time, they obviously did something wrong because the boost box back fed or something and it blew apart. It wont start now and all it does is click. Where would be the first place to start?

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
hi ricko836,
i just e-mailed some elec schematics for your model and eng type.
call me when you've printed them out and when you are at the machine troubleshooting the probelm.
if i was you i'd be sure to bring 2 new batteries # 31A-1000
new crimp battery cable ends to clean up your cable connections and ground connections
as well as a rebuilt starter.
or either have yours taken off and rebuilt.
one thing i find both operators and mechanics tend to leave out on their circle checks is that the batteries are a fluid level too.
checking fluid and grease points should also include the batteries. out of sight out of mind they get forgotten.
when topping a battery top to indicated level, not up the vent holes, plus add distilled water.
cheers!

Sripola

Hi Mr Kobelco,

Hope you can help me with another import headache i've run into.
We brought down a 1996 Kobelco SK220-3 and it was working fine, but now when i turn the key i get and error code saying "CPU controller 17".
Does this mean the computer is kaput and i need a new one? Also the machine wont even start now, most of the time and and we have to manually hold the throttle open to get it going.

Any advise is much appreicated.
The serial number is LLU0707 if that helps.

Cheers.

barnesrl

0Hello Mr. Kobelco.
Looking for an aftermarket Hydraulic pump for the following.
SK200LC Mark IV, SNYQU4414
Kobelco Pump Assy. 2437U389F2
This is the main pump(s) off the rear of the engine. It is a two ? Tandem pump that Kobelco will only sell as a complete unit. Looking for an aftermarket supplier that will sell either the complete pump or the half that I need.

A manufacturer of this assy. and part number would also help to see if my hydraulics shop can attempt to rebuild this unit.

email barnesrl@embarqmail.com or a call would be greatly appreciated.
419-513-1106 cell 419-238-4749
Thanks
Bob

finaldrive

Occupation
Business Owner
Bob,

I can help you with that.
I stock new complete units, rebuilt units and all the parts you would need to rebuild your current unit.
It is a double pump stacked together.
The pump is a Kawasaki K3V112DT series.
Where do you have it for repair?
If you haven't taken it to a hydraulic shop, we can use ours.
When it comes to excavator hydraulic pump, we can be the one stop shop for you. Same goes for excavator final drives and swing motors.
New, rebuilt, parts to rebuild or repair and return.
You can give us a call at 1-800-828-8909 Mon-Fri 7:30-4:00 PDT or I'll try and call you tomorrow. (I have out of town visitors coming in for the week, so it might be tough for me personally to call you) If I'm not available (Todd) ask for Jay.

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
hi Sripola,
i have had cpu 17 come up now and then.
first check your 5 amp fuses supplying power to the computer.
if fuse loosens off you'll get a voltage drop and in some cases the cpu 17 will display.
keep me posted.