• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

Impact

Occupation
Owner
crane operator, have you had to start using the OSHA certified man baskets yet? The ones with test weights etc?

crane operator

Junkyard- I did send a guy to Claremore Ok to pick up a weight this summer. I was supposed to get another one, but my phone took a swim shortly after I picked up the first one, and I didn't have a phone #. It's a small world isn't it.

Impact: OSHA regs says - man baskets designed and built by a competent person. I can declare myself competent, but if it ever goes to court, I'm not a structural engineer. Its mostly a sales gimmick to say OSHA certified, OSHA won't certify anything. The manufacturer can say it is built to comply with osha regulations, but you can do that yourself also. It says right in the regulations what the baskets must have. Handrail, tie off points, openings, door design, rigging type, etc.

One of my baskets is home-built. One is a factory built. I think the home built is a better basket. Neither has built in test weights. They are marked for capacity and weight. I have a set of small steel plates, that I use as test plates, and I do the whole test pick, with weights, to farthest radius, hold for 5 minute thing. The plates I have are actually old drive over grates, you can handle them by hand pretty easy, and I just put them on the floor of the basket, do my test pick, then flop them out.

I think its crazy what some places charge when they are selling manbaskets. That price isn't for steel, it's for liability insurance.

The new regulations also allow bosun's chairs. The 10 year ago regulations had them forbidden, but now they are allowed again if there is 'no safer way' to get there. I always wondered how to get a man between guy cables on a downspout off a grain leg, without a bosun chair. A manbasket won't fit.

I don't really care for manbasket work. Most of it is cell phone tower work in my area, and I don't have enough reach for them anyway (200'). So that doesn't break my heart. For a lot of other projects, I usually recommend they rent a 135' manlift, but they won't do the radius that a crane can, so I do end up doing some basket work, but I do as little of it as I can. If I see a safer way to get there (OSHA regs ) that's what I recommend.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I'm with ya. I have three man baskets, all shop built w/o any engineered drawings.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You guys mean to say we can't do it like we did "back in the day"? You know take the top out of a 55 gallon drum and cut a couple holes for the hooks in the side?

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Your famous Crane Op. I saw the picture you posted of your basket doing tree work, it's on an arborist sight in the crane work thread. The title is "these guys are styling" I think you've impressed them. We'll find out soon what you've done wrong, there are several resident crane experts on the sight :cool:

crane operator

Tradesman- now all I'll hear about is how we're doing it wrong- here's some fuel for the fire from last week. A good oak tree, just too close to the house for the old lady that lived there.

She wanted it down, so down it came.

20161219_125949.jpg

20161219_130140.jpg

20161219_130228.jpg

20161219_132247.jpg

crane operator

Rear cut off, we're putting the 4:10 in the western star

20161220_083213.jpg

Need to unwire the hydraulic swivel. The barrel has a small wear lip, it needs honed.

20161221_160131.jpg

Making $

20161222_092739.jpg

Job for the next day: 53' finished beams- 2500lbs. The amish boys were going to set them by hand, and if anyone could, they could, but I think the general contractor wanted the crane.

20161221_140313.jpg

crane operator

If I die in my sleep tonight, and someone buys a grove rt700b with a dismantled hydraulic and electrical swivel, here's the wiring diagram I made for it::D

20161222_193213.jpg

It's at the house if anyone needs it, I didn't dare leave it at the shop, if I get broken into again, I didn't want them to steal my diagram

Last edited:

crane operator

Up

20161222_133732.jpg

Up

20161222_133751.jpg

Over

20161222_133805.jpg

Down

20161222_133813.jpg

I was up on the hill, fixing the antifreeze leak on the other crane in the cul-de-sac. Had to swap cranes so I got to take pictures of one of my operators setting the last beam. I'd rather be running the crane than fixing.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Crane op I check yesterday no comments all the resident experts must be on holidays.
Merry Christmas to all my HEF. Advisers

dbl612

Occupation
crane operator
if you really want to get an ulcer, all you have to do is work with the amish. very stubborn and they feel that none of the rules apply to them when they do anything. constantly in a rush with no concern for safety at all. as crane operators, we are still responsible is there is an injury or accident.

crane operator

I actually have a couple amish crews that I work with quite often. We get along pretty well, but I don't get pushed around too easily. Their lifestyle wouldn't be a easy way to live, it's their choice, but it still wouldn't be easy.

That said, I probably feel more sympathy for any framing crew that has to bid against them to get work. They pay no workman's comp, they don't believe in insurance. That's a immediate 10-20% advantage right off the top. You can't compete with that.

crane operator

Some guys even get to work Christmas day. Got the call at 4:30 this afternoon, plane on its belly on the runway. Everyone was fine in the plane. Picked up off runway, loaded on trailer, offloaded in hangar.

I hate picking them up because its all aluminum, and its not designed to be picked up. Granted it will probably never fly again, I just don't like squashing the aluminum. There's just no good way to do it.

Last edited:

td25c

Looks like the pilot kept it strait on the belly landing . That's great no one was hurt !

Take the Grove TMS 250 ?

Nice work crane op !