• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

kenh

The newer Diesels can be a bucket of snakes.
Injectors can run $500 ea. Horrid mileage, etc
I have a 2001 F-350, 56K miles, gonna keep it.
If you could find a cream puff Dodge, swap engines would be a good deal.

movindirt

Thats great you got your tools back!! :drinkup All the pre-emmisions trucks are going up in value quickly, kind of wish I would have got several new trucks then and left them in a shed somewhere with no miles on them now, probably would pay me back 2 or 3x over by now selling them. Who'd have guessed worn out work trucks would be worth more than the new ones? :beatsme

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
DANG.. something THAT BIG and they cant find it..??
Might be time to hit the woods and go "hunting".. look for the duelys going off the road..??
I hate a thief.!! I feel you pain on the tool replacement.. Sorry you had to go thu it..

crane operator

Christmas comes early!

20161207_154333.jpg

It shouldn't feel like christmas when you're just getting your own stuff back, but it kind of does when its been stolen.

Someone has started talking and the detective called last night, asked if I had a extra key for my truck. It was hidden back in the woods behind a abandoned house. Less than 2 miles from my shop. I had to step over a used needle and syringe to get in the seat (I looked pretty close before sitting down).

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Congrats on getting your truck and tools back!:drinkup

Evans

crane op ,that was good news you recovered your truck back.probably these guys had forgotten their needles and syringes somewhere and wanted them badly ,so they decided to borrow your truck without asking you....with the intention of bringing it back :eek: but needles and syringes made them forget.:drinkup cheer up ''smooth operator " in

just 12hrs that was great.

Last edited:

Knepptune

Glad you got your stuff back crane op.

I'd have a few beers to celebrate. I may have a few to celebrate for you. :drinkup

crane operator

20161202_133115.jpg

Skid loader on a building for a demo job. It was a heavy little sucker- almost 10,000lbs

20161202_133522.jpg

Pulled the smokestacks off a tourist boat, it needs to go under a bridge upstream for its 3 year hull inspection, stacks are too tall.

20161205_095231.jpg

Truss job, the rt gives a bunch more room on a crowded jobsite. These went on the apt building left of the crane.

20161201_094254.jpg

crane operator

20161207_081010.jpg

Tree removal in a city park. They are big old cottonwoods, needed 150' boom to get the manbasket up there to cut the tops out before falling them.

20161207_081019.jpg

20161209_125816.jpg

There's a round hole in the top/center of the tank. Diffuser blade, under a pipe. Rigging dropped down 50' on each side of the pipe to the floor of the tank, attached to the disc/blade, raised it to the top of the tank and attached.

20161209_125851.jpg

50' of rigging, lifted 50' up means you need a little tip height.

crane operator

Cell tower upgrade

20161213_101414.jpg

Removed the old antenna arms. They just tied off, and climbed out on the arms to rig them for removal

20161213_104333.jpg

Lifted up new platform.

20161213_112025.jpg

There was a small lightning rod (6') sticking up from the top of the tower, they removed it for me to swing the new platform over the top of the pole.

20161213_121905.jpg

crane operator

Just so no one thinks its all pulling levers:rolleyes:

Hydraulic and electrical swivel from rt 700

20161217_083744.jpg

4.10 rear cutoff. Stealing the diffs for the Western Star. Western Star housing said 3.73, but a spin of the wheel, while counting driveshaft came up with 3.42. The 4.10 should start 102,000lbs a little better on a hill than the 3.42

20161217_141943.jpg

Cracked exhaust manifold. Also on the Western Star. Detroit 60 series. Used manifold that was crack checked, and new gaskets will fix it.

20161209_085519.jpg

Radiator, also from the Western Star. Bottom tank gasket would leak when the temperature was just right. Didn't want to let it get real bad, so out it came. New gasket kit, did both the bottom and top while we had it out.

20161209_085504.jpg

If you see a theme here, your right, the Western Star is getting a little work to get it shipshape. We just got it in August, and we're still finding out whats wrong, hopefully a little time and parts and we'll have it to just new problems, with the old problems all fixed. I've never owned a Western Star, so far it seems to be a pretty good truck, the previous owners just let things get away from them.

I overheard my wife talking to my youngest daughter the other day. Wife's van is showing its age, and she was explaining how we shop for vehicles: "Some people get to own vehicles for the first half of the vehicles life, we are not those people..."

Reactions: WRA

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Do those apartment buildings have a fire truss in them, the apartments I do have a truss that is 5/8" drywall, truss 5/8" drywall, truss,5/8" drywall, I think the last one I did was 40 ft. wide and weighed 4500# with rigging in. they make a nice day I'm usually about 8 1/2 hours on them.
Those are some nice jobs, is that a municipal water tank I love doing Gov. work you are sure to get paid no-one is usually in a hurry and I find once you have them for a client, unless you use them wrong its a long term relationship.I do all the backhoe work for the local twp. including the water department for the past 25 years. I have to bid every couple years but its such easy work on the hoe ( shut off at least 1/2 the time ) I charge $ 15 an hour less than to any-one else, so not likely going to loose it any time soon. And because of my long standing relationship with them I don't have to bid the crane work.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I overheard my wife talking to my youngest daughter the other day. Wife's van is showing its age, and she was explaining how we shop for vehicles: "Some people get to own vehicles for the first half of the vehicles life, we are not those people..."

That's very practical of her :D And even better she is passing her wisdom on to another generation. " YOU GO GIRL "

crane operator

The apartments get firewalls. This is a amish crew. The apartment was actually 50' deep, with a wall in the middle. The trusses were in half- 25' each way. I laid them down in bundles on the walls. They will come back and stand them up by hand, then line them with the sheetrock.

I actually think its faster to set them one at a time with the crane, b/c if it takes 3 hrs to lay them down, you can set them one at a time in 5-6hrs. If you lay them down, it takes another day to stand them all. If you set one at a time, with another hour or two of bracing, you can start sheeting, but I'll do whatever they want.

The tank work is for a contractor. He has his portion bid, so the crane time comes from him, not the city. Not much sitting around. But he is a good customer, and the guys like it because its prevailing wage- more $ for them.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Is that dodge flatbed in the pic yours? It looks familiar, did I sell you a counterweight several months ago....?

Junkyard

crane operator

I don't know that its really my wife's choice on the vehicles. She did mention that it would be nice if the next vehicle wasn't quite so used:eek:. I just can't see spending $10-15,000 for a used car, van, or suv, and in 2-3 years its worth 3-5,000. Let alone what new vehicles cost. I almost look at vehicles as disposable.

Her current ride is a 2001 AWD astro. Great people mover. I bought it 4-5 years ago with 100,000 miles on it. Gave $2,000 for it (it had a couple idiot lights on). Today it has 190,000 miles on it, no rust, everything works. I've bought some tires and brakes, but nothing else really, and its still probably worth $2,000. (Still has a couple idiot lights on- I tell her if its got oil pressure- and its not hot - drive it until it makes clunking noises, or until it won't go)

We joke around "always drive junk, everyone else drives like they are afraid you might hit them, and you're not worried about anyone hitting you."

I'm not really that bad- I want something safe for her, and my oldest girl is driving too. She's got a 1995 ford f-150 2wd, no rust, A/c works, a little clear coat peel and some dents. Dirt simple, easy to fix, I think she could roll it and step out of it and be fine. It doesn't have crash avoidance, back up camera's and alarms, or side impact bags. Or skid control. But I know if someone smacks her with a prius, she's got a lot better chance of walking away.

I think my daughters crash avoidance should be between her ears. My boy will be driving on his own next month- I think he's getting his mom's old wheels, and she's getting something new. Newer.... I guess maybe less used:D

lantraxco

I'm with you on youngsters learning to drive... give them a hunk of Detroit iron with some heft to it, manual steering, manual brakes, manual gearbox... they'll quickly learn not to follow close or overcook corners when they try to muscle it around, and it won't accelerate or corner like a rice rocket which hopefully will slow them down a bit until they get old enough to think more clearly. I learned to drive in a '52 half ton dodge, flathead six, three speed with fluid drive, manual steering and say a prayer brakes...