• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How many patterns are you competent on?

dynahoescott

On track machines, I for the last 15 years have been on all cat pattern rigs, I cant make the bucket hit the ground with a john deere pattern machine. rubber tire backhoes I run case foot swing ,excavator,(cat) and dynahoe pattern,. But 26 years ago when I broke in it was on a drott 40. And I ran bucyrus -erie track hoe controls for a while.(air over hydraulic).
:usa

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have also ran the Cat style controls on about 90% of the excavators that I have operated over the years.It takes a while to get used to the JD configuration although I have always thought that the JD pattern was the more intuitive of the two.
I worked for a contractor that had an Hitachi wired up as a John Deere for a few months and the next job I got after that I had a heck of a time trying to dig with his 320 enough to show him that I could do it.He even had his JD 410 configured as a Cat.
I have not ever run a machine new enough to have the ability to switch patterns on the fly.I may have posted this before now that I think of it,humor me if that be the case:)Ron G

JD450A

Occupation
Multi Role Operator and Driller
what gets me is these so-called brilliant operators that have never tried their hand at any other pattern or type of machine or vintage plant machine to experience what once was a much more challenging job which still got done to todays standards (or higher). that was plant operating.

I've gotta agree with that. All we where taught at college was "stick it on Iso and use it" NH110LB Backhoe, Servo Controls, Comfy seat and warm cab. Sorted.

That said and Aside from Iso controls, I am quite proud to say I can drive a JD450A Lever steer and work the backhoe with some level of precision, I can work a ford 555 quite well (I suppose that's technicly Iso) and just about work JCB 3cx controls. Then theres the horrible miriad of telehandler controls (Matbros seem to have No two hydralic levers in the same place on each model, and everyone else does there own thing). Tractors arent too bad and Iso 360' Machines are good and simple.

I was told a while ago by a freind that old Hymacs Used to have Pedals or Seprate Levers for the Dipper and Slew, Is that true?

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
I'm not a world famous operator

But just take your time, you'll figure it out :duh:duh

Attachments

• fdebdc527ae62d7b0f3667c45c7bee92708c882f.jpeg
    fdebdc527ae62d7b0f3667c45c7bee92708c882f.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 366