1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hough 50 transmission slipping

Discussion in 'Wheel Loaders' started by Norbert77, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Norbert77

Norbert77 Well-Known Member

Looking at an ancient hough 50 but the transmission is slipping. Like it just inches under full throttle. Is it a truck torque converter, industrial, something special?

2. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

At this point, what difference does it make???

I couldn't say for sure on a Hough, but some of the old loaders had a separate transmission with a driveshaft coming from the bellhousing. If the driveshaft stops turning when it's put in gear, then the torque converter is slipping, if it kept turning, then the transmission was slipping. As likely as anything the fluid is just low if it was running when parked. Next would be the torque converter or transmission. Some also had a "shear pin" between the flywheel and torque converter. A broken flex plate will cause a transmission to inch under full throttle, I am eminently qualified to say that.:D

3. Norbert77

Against my better judgement, I bought it. Will be delivered tomorrow. I figure I'll start with a complete oil change which it probably needs and see where that takes me.

Been reading up on ATF all day. Apparently this beast needs ATF A but I don't know what that is. Is it thinner or thicker then dextron 3?

According to Wikipedia, type A is a 50/50 mix of type A and type F. Does not sound legit

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. Mike Van

Mike Van Well-Known Member

A little more reading here http://napatire.com/transmission-fluid-flush-tips Type F used to be for Ford, not thinner or thicker but different additives in it. In my old Trojan, a few fluid changes got it going better, that said use type A too, which is Dextron II at Napa. Change filter too.

5. Norbert77

Spent 3 hours power washing it to get most of the grime off. Poor thing, the grime is as hard as baked on tar.

There is a gauge in the cab, the only one, it reads 30 at idle and 55 at power. In any gear it Doesn't go anywhere, sounds like it was cavitating. When it has been sitting a while the transmission oil was full. After I shut it off the engine, the tranny fluid was half below add and the end of the stick. After cleaning I found a sticker that says to use Dexron oil, to check when engine idling and warm, in neutral. Now I need to top up the tranny, I'd laugh if it was low on oil and worked if I added some.

A bit of white in the transmission fluid, but doesn't smell or look bad.

Also, I don't see injector line. It is a supercharged looking Detroit diesel 3 or 4 banger, is it a 2 stroke? Ow does it get fuel?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  6. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

If it's cavitating, then check for a suction screen being plugged up. The white could be air or water, you can check by dripping the oil on a hot piece of steel that sizzles water, if the oil pops or sizzles then there's water in it.

7. Norbert77

Took 7 litres, almost 2 whole gallons of ATF to get to the full mark. Poor beast... After driving around the yard a few minutes, still slipping a lot, the new oil is full of bubbles. Next I will drain all the oil and check the hoses. Which hose has the strainer, or where is the strainer on this beast? No filter?

8. Norbert77

Today i had to shut it off at the engine. When did that, I heard the compressor hiss for a few seconds. It's not building pressure. If there is no air pressure, can that affect the clutch pressure?

9. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Pictures help a lot. Take some of the engine from a few different places and same for the transmission showing some of the lines connected to it.

Air in oil is a good sign there is a leak in the suction line to transmission pump, a picture showing the lines might let someone point to a place to check.

Air leaking back out of the compressor would tend to indicate bad exhaust valve or just crap in them causing them to leak. A picture of the compressor might get some information on something you could check.

10. Norbert77

The line is leaking at the compressor so it will never build pressure. So many air hoses on transmission, I don't know if it can run without pressure. Will be fixed shortly though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Norbert77

Changed the oil. The bottom was so full of metal I almost had a stroke. 6 gallons of new oil and no better. Found the connection to the primer pump was loose. Didn't try it yet. There is a drain plug where the torque converter is, and what looks like an oil level hole, is there supposed to be some sort of lubricant in there? Or is that. Just for inspection?

Here is the pump the lowest transmission hose goes to. If this isn't spinning then the torque converter will have a hard time suckling oil. Does this need to be bled somehow?

Interesting observation, when trying to drive it, this hoses are hammering. Like the pressures spike and drop. A lot. Like once a second. I can see the bends in the moving.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  12. Norbert77

Update, I wrapped the questionable one with cerawrap and electrical tape to help eliminate suction problem. No better off. I loosened the charge pump, while running some oil came out, but I don't think enough. I took the charge pump out, it works alright by hand and splines are alright, I'll take it in and have it tested, or ill take it apart and look inside. Made by Webster Elwctric, part number 3LCS-2L. Cute little pump.

Interesting observation, the strĂ iner in this unit is a very fine mes, canister looking strainer. When I had the suction hose off, I let the new oil run into a pail. Barely anything comes out. I wonder if the new ATF is maybe thicker than what this was designed for and that's what's happening, it cannot be sucked through the strainer fast enough. Will install a pressure gauge on top of the transmission to check pressure, in hindsight I should have done that first before removing the pump...

13. Norbert77

Just an update, mates, some goofball removed the in-line filter off the transmission. This poor b*****d thing has been running without a filter and just the mesh strainer in the tranny sump. I flushed the tranny and installed new fluid. It got contaminated right away. Was so bad the new fluid clogged up the strainer in my funnel. What I did is drain the tranny fluid again and this time I filled the transmission with diesel to flush the gearbox and torque converter. I know what you're thinking. But it actually seems to be working a little better, letting it sit overnight then I'll run it again tomorrow then drain, put in new diesel, rinse and repeat. Atf is too pricy to keep flushing. Tomorrow I will install the tranny filter. Can't decide between a 5 or 10 micron filter, 5 might clog too soon.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017 at 3:02 AM