• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I have just over 2 acres so lots of room for tents.My friend says my truck is RAL 1007 which meant nothing to me.I looked it up and internet says its Daffodil yellow...I wont be repeating that in public...
Is Hayes yellow a industry color or something they created ??

Finished the exhaust today.I will remake my support bracket when I have access to more material and the water jet.Current one is aluminum and I primed it.Ran out of satin black.It will get painted later.grizzly 005.JPG grizzly 006.JPG grizzly 007.JPG grizzly 009.JPG Need to figure out a support bracket for the T but other wise done.I doubt it will be very loud as I added a performance diesel muffler..System is all 4"...More than enough..

HDX

Hayes Manufacturing Yellow WAS Apache Yellow As time went by it was replaced with School Bus Yellow because it was easier to remember and a common color

diamondtguy

Occupation
Thanks HDX...I pulled a sample of each color off the net and they look close but I am no expert on this..
There is light yellow paint on the truck under the blue but all the pics I have seen show the truck in this shade..
I wonder how it would look in Mac Blo colors.....

HDX

If you choose that route we will make sure you get the right M&B Red not that Chinese red used by some people OK

diamondtguy

Occupation
Got my intercooler pipes finished,installed my new tailgate and mounted my tail lamp plates.Also mounted the new led rear lights and wired them up.Other than some oil and antifreeze the truck is ready to start...grizzly 001 (82).JPG grizzly 002 (86).JPG grizzly 003 (73).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Rear lights were originaly wired to a small terminal strip screwed to the frame and wide open to the elements.I have installed a Pico sealed box.I have the trailer plug still to do.Red wire hanging out is for a license plate lamp....Not sure where I am putting the license plate.The stacks are in the way of its previous location..car 005.JPG grizzly 011.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
] Spent the last week working on the wiring..Lots and lots of weird things.I have most of it sorted out.Took a break from it tonight and changed the front yoke and put the front drive shaft in.Then took my little 67 for a howl...
As I said before drive shafts are brand new,The diff, t/case yokes and u-bolts are as well.
Sorry about the blurry pics I was leaning on my elbow...

grizzly 002.JPG grizzly 003.JPG

Attachments

• grizzly 003.JPG
    grizzly 003.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

diamondtguy

Occupation
Little story about a fuel gauge....At some point years ago the fuel gauge quit working.Truck was then fitted for a trusty wooden dip stick...no batteries required..
I found that someone had run a new ground wire to the sender unit but that didn't fix things.When I had the sender out I cleaned everything and tested it and had it working.I recently turned the power back on and the gauge didn't work.Ground test showed it was not the sender.I target the gauge and its got power but not working.I pull the gauge and bench test it and it works fine.Recheck my power wire and its now dead.I find the terminal on the fuse panel (Ron Francis wire works) and its dead.Pull fuse (push in blade style) and check power.Its good....fuse is fuzzy.Replace fuse and all is good to go.Gauge "DOES NOT" work...Ground out sender wire and gauge pins it self.So back to sender unit problem..Pull sender again and test it on top of tank..Starts to work and then quits,then starts to work and quits..Dirty or bad connection in sender where the contacts sweep..Well at least I have found the problem (hopefully) so I have the sender soaking in some cleaner and will try it again tomorrow.If it acts up again I will just buy a new one.Other than the gauge bulb everything involved was not happy....
I have had two other working systems just up and quit from various problems...I have them all working now (for now)
All the fuses have been tossed and new ones installed..Moisture damage from all the water leaks...
Tomorrow is another day...

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Little story about a fuel gauge....At some point years ago the fuel gauge quit working.Truck was then fitted for a trusty wooden dip stick...no batteries required..
I found that someone had run a new ground wire to the sender unit but that didn't fix things.When I had the sender out I cleaned everything and tested it and had it working.I recently turned the power back on and the gauge didn't work.Ground test showed it was not the sender.I target the gauge and its got power but not working.I pull the gauge and bench test it and it works fine.Recheck my power wire and its now dead.I find the terminal on the fuse panel (Ron Francis wire works) and its dead.Pull fuse (push in blade style) and check power.Its good....fuse is fuzzy.Replace fuse and all is good to go.Gauge "DOES NOT" work...Ground out sender wire and gauge pins it self.So back to sender unit problem..Pull sender again and test it on top of tank..Starts to work and then quits,then starts to work and quits..Dirty or bad connection in sender where the contacts sweep..Well at least I have found the problem (hopefully) so I have the sender soaking in some cleaner and will try it again tomorrow.If it acts up again I will just buy a new one.Other than the gauge bulb everything involved was not happy....
I have had two other working systems just up and quit from various problems...I have them all working now (for now)
All the fuses have been tossed and new ones installed..Moisture damage from all the water leaks...
Tomorrow is another day...

I had a similar problem, wiring up lights and nothing worked, all new wire, all new everything. I finally traced it down after several disgusting efforts and it was in the wire. it was a break in the wire off the reel inside the insulation. when you found it, you could feel it, but I had just assumed it was something else. The embarrassing part is that I have experienced this before, I am a retired electrician who has run into this twice before in my 40 years in the trade. But, as an automotive electrician, I just assumed it was something I had done. I have told others this; "As an auto mechanic, I make a darn fine plumber...."

diamondtguy

Occupation
Filled the rad up with anti freeze and pressure tested it.System passed test but cap is bad....Took almost 19 liters of coolant on initial fill.grizzly 002.JPG grizzly 003.JPG grizzly 004.JPG grizzly 005.JPG
Nose is back on and my intercooler fit as planned.A little tight at the top but all is good.Just need to lube up the trans and t/case and its ready to start..Starting to take shape again..

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Looking great. See you've got the glass in screen and primed it. Did you use old screens in the end, or get new ones?

Must feel good to have it this close to running!

diamondtguy

Occupation
Hey....yes it feels good to be this close....Just refitting the windshield seal...I will be getting new glass fit and cut...Right side glass is a little small and left side has air in it..Hopefully next week I can resolve the windshield dilemma and fire the truck up...
Still need to send the front fenders for paint but that shouldn't be a issue...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Shipped the truck off today to a glass shop that is happily going to work with me to resolve the windshield dilemma.I talked to Bruce Warren tonight who owns truck #13 and he was sure they used 92 Kenworth stuff but the tape measure tells a different story.
I will have to wait and see how this unfolds.They don't like my seal because someone cut the divider bar..With out knowing what it is I cannot hunt down another..

Anyways truck got some sun today for the first time in 10 months..Tow truck driver couldn't believe all the attention he was getting...grizzly 001.JPG grizzly 002.JPG grizzly 003.JPG grizzly 004.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Picked the truck up this morning from the glass shop.Glass looks great and the guy who did it made templates and did all his math.The result was well fitting glass and a nice tight fit.I had tinted glass put in the front and dark glass put in the rear.I figured I might as well do the rear as the truck was already there.
One of the windshield he cut ended up have some cosmetic issues that he didn't like so he gave it to me for a spare/template.I also have his other templates..
Glass was done buy Novus Glass in Abbottsford..
A customer came in and said he had a red Grizzly..I only know of one red Grizzly...I wasn't there so I don't know.
The glass was my last major thing to do so I am happy...(so's my bank account)
Time to finish things up..grizzly 001.JPG grizzly 002.JPG grizzly 003.JPG grizzly 004.JPG