• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Finished the brackets off yesterday for the cross member.Found a crop of formed 3/8 at work that will work perfect and fit better than angle iron.
Brackets will be welded to the frame.The crossmember sits on top of them so the weight is all supported by the brackets not by the bolts.
The drivers side bracket is long and I will scrap my current t/case mount and it will get built into this one..
I have reversed the procedure in my head and the crossmember will come back out once the brackets are welded on if you remove the trans mount first....

grizzly 001.JPG grizzly 002.JPG grizzly 003.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Finished the crossmember off today.Welded the mounts on yesterday and painted and reassembled it all today.Crossmember is easy to remove.Bolted it down with 1/2 Gr8 bolts and stainless nuts.
I was at Pacific on Friday for a visit and crossed the hallway and ordered my new driveshafts from Coast Powertrain.Will be done next week...grizzly 002.JPG grizzly 003.JPG grizzly 004.JPG grizzly 010.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Exhaust brake is on and I managed to sneak the 3 1/2 in pipe down the side.A 60 deg pipe straightened the angle right out.I will step it up to 4" from there.It will pass through the crossmember with out issue.grizzly 006.JPG grizzly 008.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Cool little tool I heard about.CNC machined pc that bolts to the balancer bolts and gives you a 1/2 sg for a bar or ratchet..
There is no center bolt on the cummins so rotating the engine can be a pain.Tool is designed to stay on once installed..
As I am changing valve springs and putting Viton valve seals on this will be quite handy..grizzly 013.JPG

JPV

Thanks for sharing this build, it is fun for me to watch and learn! Who makes the turning tool piece? I would like to put one on my 5.9 if I can get my hands on one.

diamondtguy

Occupation
A little before and after..Engine has tubes on it for the heater hoses.They are designed for a right side heater box but the Grizzly has a center mount box...I found some synthetic 90deg molded hoses and fit them.Alluminum clamp is left over (I always water jet more than I need) from my 67 Mustang build...
I was actually going to make new tubes but couldn't find any 5/8 SS tube and buying 20 feet didn't make sense.
grizzly 009 (2).JPG grizzly 011 (7).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
That's quite possible..I removed the cable shut off.It also had a valve/tap on the engine on the same tube at the front.Not sure on the thinking behind that...To many connections..grizzly 002 (3).JPG

JPV

That is so you can shut off the hot water to the core in the summer when the push pull valve fails. It is also nice when you blow a heater hose, pretty common on bigger trucks. Never seen one on a pickup!

diamondtguy

Occupation
Not sure how the rad is going to react to having a intercooler in front of it now so I am going to leave the heater core flowing..
Bolted the clutch slave to the bellhousing today and clamped the line solid...It is a Southbend system that comes all pre bled.Braided hyd line has a heatshield on it witch I just left on...
All most finished the fire wall hose/wire routing.Adding a 2nd battery,hand full of gauges,winch cables and routing the starter wires to the opposite side certainly made things interesting.Left the factory (Ron Frances) harness alone as I cant move it..I keep telling myself this is a refit....not a restoration..
I should put a sign on the truck because sometimes I don't think I am listening.
The 1/4" 50psi hose is the new return line for the pump
grizzly 001.JPG grizzly 002.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Put the rad back in today..I moved it to the inboard side of the brackets to try and sneak
a intercooler in..Lots of fiddling but I got it mounted.Fan is about 3/4 of a inch away.Rad is mounted on polyurethane bushings the same as it was new..
Next I mounted the intercooler.I had this intercooler engineered for the truck by a company down south..It was expensive but its engineered and built in America..
Tape measure tells me all is good and the hood should go back on with out a issue..(har har)

Yes the fan is bigger than the core...
grizzly 002.JPG grizzly 004.JPG grizzly 005.JPG grizzly 006.JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Next I have to do something about the bottom rad connection.Main problem is it was just hanging off its connections...It at least needs support brackets welded on.I will be starting from scratch on this....grizzly 001 (22).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
More pictures of the Surerus Grizzly...The grill design makes me think its one of the later ones.Engine is a intercooled version with out the intercooler.I also notice it seems to have someones oem rad and it has vacuum assisted brakes...Truck looks very well cared for.The wiring does need some love tho..
Year of truck and what number it is are still unknown.Pictures care of Hank..He did the work getting them...

59.gif 60.gif 61.gif 62.gif

Last edited:

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Talking with my cousin in Salmon Arm he said there is 1 Grizzly, there he has seen it but never thought much about it. He is going to ask around with the guys from the car club there to see what he can find out.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Finished the lower rad connection.Its 2 1/4 diam so options are limited as far as material goes.I had some thick wall 2 1/4 tube here with some u- bends so mild steel it is.I left the rubber elbows on each end on purpose.To remove it you just lower it down.I also added two 3/8 NPT couplings to drain it and fabbed up a support bracket so it isn't flopping in the breeze..
I primed it with Glyptol primer and ended up just leaving it.grizzly 001.JPG grizzly 002.JPG grizzly 003.JPG grizzly 004.JPG
The list is getting smaller..

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I heard back from my cousin in Salmon Arm. He talked to a buddy and he agreed that he was sure that there is a Grizzly truck around there but was not sure who owned it so will do more checking as to the owner. So with some luck one more survived.