• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

oarwhat

I don't know this company but after a google search I don't see any bad reviews, .etc. When I have researched re-builders in the past It's easy to find The bad ones. Also they have a national warranty 6 months parts and labor then 6 months parts. I wouldn't be afraid to use them. Good luck Randy

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Maybe I am wrong about this but, are any engine long block applications actually test run before they are shipped out?
My apologies. You are correct - long blocks are not generally test-run before shipping. I missed your post further above the one I was quoting from that said it was a long block, I just focused on the fact that it would be missing an oil pump, pan, etc....

It may be hard for you to believe but everyone who has been posting here wants you to succeed in your endeavours of getting this tractor up & running again reliably.

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Wow,my head is spinning with all this information. Didn't realize there are so many variations to that engine. I don't know what I am going to do. Everyone here says that it is not worth rebuilding, too much to replace, clean up, too much time to spend on it. Rebuild from Capital Reman in Denver said that they can build an engine for me to the exact specifications of my serial number and arrangement number shipped to my door for $9,200.It would be a rebuild engine with new parts, reusing my oil pan,oil pump and value cover. I really appreciate all of your responses, but would like a little more advice on this option.

Guess I'm coming in late here. Make sure the warranty options are very clear with this company. They used to be call Blakes Reman and closed after customers tried to sue them. Capital Reman Exchange is their new name they just got it going last year. !!!

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
The engine might be top notch, I just thought I would let you know, the company went through hard times and I don't know all the details since I never did business with them. But now you know, maybe do some research and come to your own conclusion...

Steve.ahlgren85

I went to the bbb,they didn't have any negative comments on the company..They did say that they are a new company and are registered with the state of Colorado, if that means anything!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'll be honest I wouldn't personally install an engine that hadn't at least been test-run on the floor first, UNLESS I'd rebuilt it myself, because then if there was any problem it would be on my head.

We got caught with a problem a couple years before I retired. Not a Cat but one of those engines named after a city in Michigan. Well a different branch of our company did the rebuild and then sent it to us to install in the Grove crane. Went to fire it up and luckily being the paranoid guy I can be did not let it start until I saw oil pressure on the gauge, which never happened!

After some intense trouble shooting by cranking it over with shut down pulled and no sign of oil flow we dropped pan to find out the oil pump had been installed in the wrong position! Now correcting this on an engine sitting on the shop floor would not have been a bad job, drop pan and pull front cover rotate pump and reassemble. To do this in chassis in a rough terrain crane was somewhat less fun to say the least.

Hate to think the damage that would have happened if we had not been careful and just let it start up and run for a few seconds before realizing there was no oil pressure!

kshansen

Occupation
Can anyone help me, give me some advice on how to clean the turbo of contamination from the oil particles, or

Seeing no one has responded to this question I might as well put in my 2 cents. Just like with the engine itself the only way to be sure it is clean is to disassemble and wash every part while checking for any wear or damage. So unless you are equipped to do that you best bet might be to get an exchange cartridge or have a shop that does that work rebuild yours.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Well, I've overhauled a couple turbos and well, they're easy as pie!! spin off the compresor wheel, pull the housings apart, clean it all squeaky clean, toss in new journal and thrust bearings and zip it all back together. Even the VGT turbos are pretty easy, remember to index everything so you get it clocked right.

kshansen

Occupation
Well, I've overhauled a couple turbos and well, they're easy as pie!! spin off the compresor wheel, pull the housings apart, clean it all squeaky clean, toss in new journal and thrust bearings and zip it all back together. Even the VGT turbos are pretty easy, remember to index everything so you get it clocked right.

True for the most part, but a lot depends on ones abilities.

Along with most of the turbos on the engines I rebuilt over the 40+ years at the shop I also did just about all the Detroit blowers. Had to make a few special tools to get them apart without damage, too cheap to buy factory pullers, but that is not a job I would be telling someone I did not fully understand their mechanical abilities to without being there to grab away the big hammer if they got frustrated at some point.

About the worst part of some turbos was getting the six 5/16 bolts that held the cartridge in the exhaust housing without snapping them off!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Last thing on a turbo, don't run fingers across the seal mating surfaces, leave them clean and apply a light film of oil when assembling the bearings. Bearings should float housing and shaft.

Steve.ahlgren85

Has anyone on this forum ordered a rebuild engine from Capital Rebuild and Exchange company, Denver, Colorado?I would like to know about your experience, good or bad!Please let me know. Thanks.