• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
D6c serial number 10k10536
Engine serial number 3n24054 arrangement number 4n7635
I see you have the same issue with dyslexia as me .... the correct arrangement is 4N7365 ...

I did the list of differences to convert 8N-4559 Arrangement to 4N-7365 Arrangement and it's so long it would make your head spin ... it's actually simpler to say what parts are common and the list is very short.

Basically the cylinder block, crank, rods/pistons, cylinder head, flywheel housing, oil pan, engine & trans oil coolers, gear group, inlet/exhaust manifolds, & turbo just for starters....

Take heart though - the engine oil pump is the same ...!

In answer to OM's question above. No, the oil pans are not the same ....

Edit: I checked SIS and 66D04353 is listed as a "3306 Industrial Engine", and the 8N-4559 Arrangement Number also ties in with the Serial Number.

Last edited:

Old Magnet

My bad, I said D330C and meant D333C and corrected same.
I do have the 66D1-66D8890 parts book and there is no reference to a 8N-4559 arrangement. Pan part numbers are not the same although maybe they have a supersede interchange. Same with the oil pumps.
I show a 2P1785 oil pump for the 10K and 7S9461 for the 66D
I show a 2P6152 oil pan for the 10K and 7L7559 for the 66D

Ok, got it, the pans are different.
I jumped right to the 7365

Again, my understanding the engine s/n's and arrangement numbers didn't occur until the 3304/3306 designations.

Last edited:

Nige

This is where TMI-web info occasionally has to be used with care. Comparing the latest iteration of 8N-4559 (CHG 09) and 4N-7365 (CHG 11), both use the same 2P-1785 Engine Oil Pump Gp. The 8N-4559 has always used that pump, the pump only came into the 4N-7365 Arrangment at CHG 06.

Regarding the oil pan, 2P-6152 is the latest P/N used on 8N-4559, 3N-2899 is the oil pan used on the CHG 11 version of 4N-7365.

Of course any engine built before the latest Change Level could have a different P/N of anything on it....

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Come on now guys! They are painted the same color( or is that colour) so they are the same right?

Sorry, at least a little, about the smart a$$ remark but for someone with little to no experience with the subtleties the various versions of this or any engine I can only see this as turning into a major money pit of a job.

Dickjr makes a good point About contacting someone with first hand knowledge. There are many excellent people here giving advice any of them would be able to handle the job in person, BUT and that is a very big but, there is only so much that can be done via email. Things that would take hundreds or thousands of typed words could be answered in a matter of seconds by someone with hands on the project.

I know the urge is there to do it yourself and I at times get caught up in a project that I would have been better passing on to someone with more first hand knowledge, right now it seems like you are at that point on this one.

Steve.ahlgren85

Wow,my head is spinning with all this information. Didn't realize there are so many variations to that engine. I don't know what I am going to do. Everyone here says that it is not worth rebuilding, too much to replace, clean up, too much time to spend on it. Rebuild from Capital Reman in Denver said that they can build an engine for me to the exact specifications of my serial number and arrangement number shipped to my door for $9,200.It would be a rebuild engine with new parts, reusing my oil pan,oil pump and value cover. I really appreciate all of your responses, but would like a little more advice on this option.

Old Magnet

That seems like a very reasonable price. What do you know about their operation and reputation?
Add a new aftermarket oil pump 2P1785, approx $200 or maybe go to Cat Classic which will undoubtedly be a bit more.
I'd forget about the 66D unless you get the parts book to go along with it as there seems to be confusion over the identity of the pieces.

Dickjr.

9200$ versus 25k at the dealer for a leisure machine is the only way to go. Most of these guys know these things insides and outs , some use previously used parts but are checked thoroughly. Check the background , the folks I sent the link too , I'll vouch for them. The thing about not going thru the dealer , they may not require you to do the coolers and radiator. Make sure the gauges are working properly and if the temps are not right correct the problem , this will ensure the longevity of the engine.

kshansen

Occupation
they may not require you to do the coolers and radiator. Make sure the gauges are working properly and if the temps are not right correct the problem , this will ensure the longevity of the engine.

Just to be straight here I would not even think of reusing the engine oil cooler off this engine! I would run fast from anyone who said, no problem we'll flush it out and it will be fine. Not saying the people being mentioned are claiming this just a point of information. As to any other coolers say transmission or hydraulic they should be fine if proper care was taken when they were removed. And radiator should be cleaned inside and out if for no other reason than it is too easy at this point and will save from having problems down the road.

kshansen

Occupation
Can't trust that SIS either...

Yes, I have noticed that in SIS at least with the D330/333 engine powered equipment they tend to default to information on 3304 or 3306 engines. That is where not having access to the old paper based manuals at I had where I worked has me at a disadvantage.

Vetech63

Just to be straight here I would not even think of reusing the engine oil cooler off this engine! I would run fast from anyone who said, no problem we'll flush it out and it will be fine. Not saying the people being mentioned are claiming this just a point of information. As to any other coolers say transmission or hydraulic they should be fine if proper care was taken when they were removed. And radiator should be cleaned inside and out if for no other reason than it is too easy at this point and will save from having problems down the road.
yeah, never reuse a engine oil cooler after a contamination failure. It's impossible to get them clean enough in my opinion. I won't even warranty an engine doing that.

Steve.ahlgren85

Thanks for your response. My phone has been down. Your responses stopped me from buying that ag engine and making a big mistake. New engine long block has been ordered, will be here in a couple weeks. Company name is Capital Reman and Exchange, Denver, Colorado.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I wonder with the old engine being in such bad shape how much power it had lost? Will a new engine make the dozer seem like a new machine or be pretty much the same power wise.

Nige

Rebuild from Capital Reman in Denver said that they can build an engine for me to the exact specifications of my serial number and arrangement number shipped to my door for $9,200. It would be a rebuild engine with new parts, reusing my oil pan, oil pump and valve cover. I really appreciate all of your responses, but would like a little more advice on this option.
I have one question about this option, and it may be of critical importance. You say that "It would be a rebuild engine with new parts, reusing my oil pan, oil pump and valve cover." Now do you have to send these parts to the rebuilder for them to install or do you have to install said parts once the assembled engine arrives at your end..?

The reason I'm asking is that if you send the parts to the rebuilder I would assume that the engine is at least run (but not necessarily dyno-tested) before dispatch. HOWEVER if you are expected to install the parts when the engine arrives there is no way that I can see that the engine has even been run by the rebuilder before he shipped it to you. I am not trying to suggest the rebuilder is a dodgy organization but do you see where I'm going with this...? What happens if you get it installed and it won't start, or does start but doesn't develop oil pressure, or has a crack somewhere and coolant is pi$$ing out of it..? At that point whose responsibility is it..?

Nige

Somewhere along the lines, you have to trust people .I try to look at the glass as being hall full..if I am wrong, then a huge mistake
It's nothing to do with trust, it's about whose responsibility it is to sort out an issue on an untested engine that may only show itself once the engine is installed and runs for the first time. What are they going to do, put a guy on a plane from Colorado to Minnesota just to sort out your engine..? I don't think so.

I'll be honest I wouldn't personally install an engine that hadn't at least been test-run on the floor first, UNLESS I'd rebuilt it myself, because then if there was any problem it would be on my head.