• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT vs. CASE

Duke

So, obviously you two are on the same page with regard to that sort of debate. I think Duke was just trying to reinforce that any such brand bashing would be counterproductive; not to suggest that that was the reason for your post.

(Thankfully, we haven't seen much of that yet anyway.)

Exactly. I think most of us here are mature enough to not take this into the mud (no pun intended). Most of us know they're both excellent machines. It's more a matter of preference, dealer and what type of work you do.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
As long as your dealer supplys good service and has a good parts network any machine regardless of color or brand name matters.

I find Cat parts expensive and others don't in their markets,some say CASE equipment is crap but why are their backhoes in the top 3 in sales? Interesting why Deere was never put in this discussion.

I love the new JCB series with the pilot controls built into my seat and find the machines easy to work on and service but so many people say JCB are crap with never have running one.

Everyone will have their own opinion and everyone will have different experiences with each brand.The only way to find a solution is ask questions and demo as many machines as possible and come up with your own opinions.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
As much of a Cat guy as I am, I really am impressed with the Case pilot controls (haven't run any other type). I thought they were smoother and more predictable than the E-series I've run. That being said, each operator will have his or her own opinion on "controls" -- so it just goes back to opinion on this one for me.

And I'm also proud that I got the boom-lock on the first real try... lifted the boom slowly to see what my trainer was talking about, lowered it, then did it on the first actual attempt. :D

Okay that's enough celebration for me.

jimmyjack

well the only case i've run was a older 580(i think K) it had a ford four stick pattern in it, so i'll compare it to the cat 436c with four sticks ive run

the case i didnt like the sticks on the hoe they seemed to close together and were little knobs, then the loader control seemed goofy to run felt like it was i front of me on the dash. and then not really running it much i hated trying to get the boom to lock and looking like a moron not getting it the first time:Banghead

the cat was newer, i like the sticks nice big square knobs on them,seemed like it was smoother. and the loader control i could reach with my arm still on the arm rest

i've always liked cat so i'd get a cat before a case but cat is all i really know . i've never really done much in a deere also,so my experince is pretty one sided:beatsme

coopers

and then not really running it much i hated trying to get the boom to lock and looking like a moron not getting it the first time:Banghead

That does take practice. The backhoe I ran had it's lock broken a couple times because the other person using it (he would sneak on before I could yell at him to get off) didn't know how to lock it and he would just slam the hoe against the lock.

Blake
WA

scsmith42

Occupation
Retired
I think that Case and Cat both make great backhoe's.

One thing that I really like (and use a lot) about my 420Dit is the toolchanger. It is a strong, fast, and convenient way to change front attachments.

For my use, having a toolchange on the backhoe is more important than the brand.

Duke

I like mine on my Case, too.
I have the FFC tool changer. I got the manual type, so it's kind of like a Bobcat quick attach only it's just one lever and off she goes. I't not the hydraulic release like the CAT, but I thought that would be one more thing that might malfunction, too.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
My dad had a 88" 416 and a 94' 416B both well maintained owner/operated machines. Both were nothing but problem after problem and I hear the same from friends with newer models.

We have a 2000 Super L now and I wouldnt trade it for any machine.
Case in my eyes is better machine because:
1 better feel in the backhoe
2 more lifting power despite what the manuals will tell you
3smoother over the road
4 faster over the road
5better built cab
6 extendahoe is more durable and well designed
7 more maneuverable
8 higher dump height, easier to load a 10 wheeler
9 Cummins is a more reliable engine than Perkins to me.
10 Stronger backhoe boom
11 50 years of experiance
The one thing that a Cat does have over a Case is that it weighs more and will out push a Case any day.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
My dad had a 88" 416 and a 94' 416B both well maintained owner/operated machines. Both were nothing but problem after problem and I hear the same from friends with newer models.

We have a 2000 Super L now and I wouldnt trade it for any machine.
Case in my eyes is better machine because:
1 better feel in the backhoe
2 more lifting power despite what the manuals will tell you
3smoother over the road
4 faster over the road
5better built cab
6 extendahoe is more durable and well designed
7 more maneuverable
8 higher dump height, easier to load a 10 wheeler
9 Cummins is a more reliable engine than Perkins to me.
10 Stronger backhoe boom
11 50 years of experiance
The one thing that a Cat does have over a Case is that it weighs more and will out push a Case any day.

i don't think I'll get the life out of my Cat as I will in my Case.

Duke

I don't know how you figure that. my CASE weighs 17,800lbs and is ~94HP. I don't think a CAT 420 weighs much more or has much more power.

What I see a lot of is when a CASE is parked next to a CAT, the CAT is physically bigger & taller. Most people think that anything that's bigger MUST be better & more powerful than something that's smaller.

IMO, CASE's best asset is that it's a smaller more manueverable package with little or no sacrafice in power or capability. The dipperstick is shorter and clears more objects and when it's in the transport position, it makes the machine a lot shorter.

My GMC3500 is about 4/5ths the size of my Ford F-350 Superduty. My GMC will drag my Superduty around the parking lot all day long, but it's smaller.

Funny, huh? :rolleyes:

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Our 420 is 20,000lbs with all the different options it has. The engine is rated right about 88hp, but however it is tuned, it is noticeably stronger than a 580SL. I don't know if the gearing is different or perhaps where the engine makes torque. I remember using 580s and when you met too much resistance, it would just stop and you really had to work to spin the tires. Even though rated for less power, our 420 requires an easier touch as it will dig with the tires in a hurry. To be fair, I haven't put it against the new Case M series, but then again I haven't used Cat's E series either so it probably doesn't make a huge difference in the end.

It is also feels more stable on slopes. Whether it actually traverses steeper stuff I don't know, but it feels better from the seat while working.

In Case's favor, they do seem to be idiot proof. There are tons of rental 580s that get beat on every day and just keep taking it. Now our 420 has almost 4,000 hours and still runs and dig great, so in the end, find a dealer you like and find a good price on whatever brand they carry.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
I dont like cat hoes at all. Ive run every series and none have impressed me with the exception that all seem to be good at pushing.

If I had to run a Cat and Case back to back pushing material, Id push more with a Case because Im more fluent with a case.

We have a Super L2 a friend of ours has a Super M2. I like both machines but the motor in the Super L I think is much more responsive and will start much better in the cold. Now the M's around here come with grid heaters.M has a comfortable cab and the loader hydralics are smoother but I still think the L series is #1.

biggixxerjim

I dont like cat hoes at all. Ive run every series and none have impressed me with the exception that all seem to be good at pushing.

If I had to run a Cat and Case back to back pushing material, Id push more with a Case because Im more fluent with a case.

We have a Super L2 a friend of ours has a Super M2. I like both machines but the motor in the Super L I think is much more responsive and will start much better in the cold. Now the M's around here come with grid heaters.M has a comfortable cab and the loader hydralics are smoother but I still think the L series is #1.

I always thought the L was a better machine than the M

Duke

I always thought the L was a better machine than the M

Every "L" I've ever seen or tried to buy has cancer all through the doors after about 5 years. At about $1,500 per door, I like the more rust resistant M doors. The M cab is bigger inside and has better visibility, too. :drinkup

Can get pilot controls in an "L", either. :p

d4c24a

european case

all i can say is that if you were unlucky enough to have our (european) version of a case you would be beating a path to you cat dealer:(

biggixxerjim

Every "L" I've ever seen or tried to buy has cancer all through the doors after about 5 years. At about $1,500 per door, I like the more rust resistant M doors. The M cab is bigger inside and has better visibility, too. :drinkup

Can get pilot controls in an "L", either. :p

If I had to go with a Case, it would definitely be a pre-fiat buyout Case

And who needs pilots?? The 3 stick is a lost art.

fireman050

Occupation
construction & volunteer firefighter
in my opinion a case backhoe will kick a cats but anyday

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
I dont like pilots either. you dont have the same feel and response.

As far as the "cancer" Ive seen all brands that have it, some that dont. My L doesnt have any rot on the doors, 7 years of plowing.

I am glad we dont have a European version Case. I dont think the 580 will ever dissappear in the States.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
I dont like pilots either. you dont have the same feel and response.

As far as the "cancer" Ive seen all brands that have it, some that dont. My L doesnt have any rot on the doors, 7 years of plowing.

I am glad we dont have a European version Case. I dont think the 580 will ever dissappear in the States.

I had a 580K rot to a million pieces on me and I had 4 580Ls that didn't have an ounce of rot. The K series was plagued with many problems, the L was unbeatable. The 4 stick pattern I like better than the wobble sticks or pilot controls.