• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat HEUI pump failure

Boof474

Information is always useful thanks Nige
Flat out trying to finish up the season at the moment
Probably in the process of ruining another pump
Major going over during the winter scheduled
There is an updated pump and tubing available from Cat
I will get the part number
It apparently has the inline oil filter but can’t be retro fitted
Different pump according to service manager
Still on the trail of it

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you can get any Cat Publication Numbers or part Number please either post them here or reply to my PM. I'll try to run them down from my end.
It doesn't seem logical that an updated pump and tubing can't be retrofitted. I'd be interested to know the reasons behind that one.

Boof474

Sorry Nige the pump and the tubing go together apparently
The pump is so how different probably in the fitting area
I would still like to see the filter and maybe I can work it into the system

Nige

Roger.
Hey, here's a thought. Are you performing oil sampling and analysis..?
If not you really ought to be. It would indicate immediately if the oil was contaminated and with what.
Like oil & filters - a $35 oil sample would be cheaper than a HEUI Pump

Last edited:

Boof474

Did when I first owned it
Will start again now
Do you think the test will pick up the small amount of metal the heui puts out prior to failure

Nige

I think that you probably need to start with a sample of new oil in order to establish baseline numbers of whatever metals/non-metals are in it. I suggest to pay particular attention to the silicon number, it may turn out to be interesting.

Once you have a baseline analysis of new unused oil (which will likely need repeating every year) you could pull a sample after say 10 operating hours and it would straight away give you an indication how much potential contamination there is in the engine. Then maybe 50 hours, etc, etc.
Oil analysis is all about establishing trends rather than single sample results.
Even sampling every 50-100 hours @ $X/sample would not be unreasonable based on the cost of the hard parts you are protecting.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
Hi the last pump I did, had upgraded taper bearings and the pump is a little bit longer.I had to massage the oil pipe to make it fit and change a couple of fittings
See if you can get on to Peter James at Cat in Tasmania either through Westrac or ring the branch direct. He is a bit of a guru with these engines
We fitted the new pump to an on road Kenworth with the C9 engine

Boof474

Hi Nige this is what he sent me at last

and the tube assembly

The tube assembly is the output side of the pump I don't see any filter in the picture of the parts.
He also said that the injector tubes now have filters in them to protect them
regards

Nige

The top illustration is from a September 2013 Service Magazine announcing a new C9 HEUI Pump. "The new unit injector hydraulic pump group has a new bearing design which improves operation. The new Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector (HEUI) pump has a physical dimension that is different than the previous pump. The different dimension may require the addition of new fuel and oil lines along with the pump in most applications. Refer to Special Instruction, REHS7902 for a list of parts needed to install the new pump group along with the procedure." - I think this is the one Mark was talking about earlier.

The bottom illustration is from an August 2016 Service Magazine. "The new oil lines have cold formed ends and are more resistant to cracking."

The comment regarding filters in HEUI injector tubes I'm not sure about.

Boof474

I have looked at the injector sleeves on SIS, they don't appear to be long enough to cover the oil port on the injector
Nige can you access REHS in SIS if so how do you do that
Regards

Boof474

G'day Nige
Hope the isolation is treating you kindly.
Have found some c9 injectors at the right "price".
Different numbers but not by much, wondering if you could shed some light on the difference.
D6R III original number 2934071 supersedes to 3879434 or reman 20R8063
Right price injector 2420857 supersedes to 3879436 or reman 20R8068
Though you may have a few more rescources than I have found
Regards and thanks again

Nige

Those injectors 20R-8068/242-0857/387-9436 are for a C9 Marine Generator set. A pretty specialized application, that's probably why they are for sale at the right price - there won't be much market for them.
Designed to run at fixed 1800 RPM and produces 311 BHP - a bit more than your D6R.
Sorry fella, they wont work in your engine. They are from the same family of injector but are substantially different internally.

Boof474

Thought it was too good to be true.
Back to the drawing board.
I suspect I have at least one injector that hasn’t survived the pump failure.
Will get it hooked up to ET and see if it is just the one.
Cold weather coming up here that will test it’s starting pretty good sign from previous experience that all is not well.
Thanks for the help again

Nige

If you're going to test injectors using ET see if it will manually allow you to cut out more than one cylinder. You could probably cut out two cylinders and then test a third one. Putting more load on fewer cylinders will better show up an injector that is under-performing.

As a comparison a 16-cylinder engine can be run happily at 1200RPM on 5 or 6 cylinders to allow the other cylinders to be tested.