• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955L saved from being paperclips. Looking for help on tensioners and injectors.

kb9tci

Wow, $500 for a block sounds like a steal. Is your engine a 3304?

Yes it is! I am hoping to get the block picked up tomorrow and start the process of cleaning soon. I may do what you did and turn it yellow as I go.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I claim metal (not mental) instability, does get in the blood and won't leave. Me, I am addicted to old Allis units, love the simplicity, ease to work on as opposed to most Cats, remind me of years gone when I worked them as new tractors. Cannot seem to stop working on the damn things regardless how bad it hurts the pocket.

trainbuffx57

Hey Guys,
I was following your progress,
I thought I would chime in, I am in the process of finishing a steering clutch on my 75 931. My first machine and I think I have Developed the FEVER also,
I have rebuilt almost all cylinders on the backhoe attachment and the loader, as for the motor mine has only 300hrs on a cat rebulid by the previous owner,
Its Interesting to me reading about your motor work, I don,t know much about motor rebuilding ,I just have general motor knowledge,
Thanks for documenting the work,
Hope it goes well,
Mike M.

P.S. This Forum is Great!

kb9tci

It's not a hobby. It's an incureable disease that many of us have. You can only get another fix to fix.

I claim metal (not mental) instability, does get in the blood and won't leave. Me, I am addicted to old Allis units, love the simplicity, ease to work on as opposed to most Cats, remind me of years gone when I worked them as new tractors. Cannot seem to stop working on the damn things regardless how bad it hurts the pocket.

Hey Guys,
I was following your progress,
I thought I would chime in, I am in the process of finishing a steering clutch on my 75 931. My first machine and I think I have Developed the FEVER also,
I have rebuilt almost all cylinders on the backhoe attachment and the loader, as for the motor mine has only 300hrs on a cat rebulid by the previous owner,
Its Interesting to me reading about your motor work, I don,t know much about motor rebuilding ,I just have general motor knowledge,
Thanks for documenting the work,
Hope it goes well,
Mike M.

P.S. This Forum is Great!

I think you all are correct. I threaten to use this one and sell it, but I think we all know better what actually will happen!! :D

kb9tci

I picked up my new-to-me block yesterday. I think it should be ok. It was in a 71J 955L that got a bit toasty. It did burn off some of the paint, but it looked pretty good overall. I am going to tank it and see how it comes out.

I was thrown off a bit when I picked it up. It looks like it has a Mitsubishi casting mark on the side.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440088523.344586.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440088553.773523.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440088569.978913.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440088583.486346.jpg

I did mic the crank and the mains are going to have to be ground. Rods are still in spec.

kb9tci

That must have been a replacement block then. It was originally produced on the 2nd of November 2000.
What's the Part Number at the far end of the photo..? All I can see is "2P9---"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440091408.111414.jpg

I forgot to mention, I got this block from these guys by the skin of my teeth, as they sold their remaining inventory this Monday. I shouldn't even mention this, but there were a lot of good parts that found their way into the melting pot :eek:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That block is a Field Replacement for whatever was originally in the machine. So you have a hunk of iron in that photo that despite the fact that it's an "old generation" engine is nowhere near as old as you might think. For any Parts Service you need quote 1N-3574 Cylinder Block Group. This was fitted from engine S/N 78P57460-Up.

kb9tci

That block is a Field Replacement for whatever was originally in the machine. So you have a hunk of iron in that photo that despite the fact that it's an "old generation" engine is nowhere near as old as you might think. For any Parts Service you need quote 1N-3574 Cylinder Block Group. This was fitted from engine S/N 78P57460-Up.

Nige, forgive my ignorance, but are you telling me news that is good, bad, or indifferent?

Is this compatible with the internals from the old block?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It's a direct replacement for the original. What happens is as things are improved then newer Part Number come into being. The Parts Manual will say something like "7N-6552 Cylinder Block Group. For Field Replacement order 1N-3574". So in other words the Field Replacement is effectively the newer improved version of what you had originally but is now beyond repair.

Your replacement block will be compatible with the former block, there may be a few detail differences in things like gaskets, seals, etc. You just need to be careful that's all. Also if you need any parts for the block then when ordering refer to 1N-3574 Block Gp. now you've "upgraded" you can't necessarily use the Part Number of the block that's listed in your Parts Manual.

kb9tci

It's a direct replacement for the original. What happens is as things are improved then newer Part Number come into being. The Parts Manual will say something like "7N-6552 Cylinder Block Group. For Field Replacement order 1N-3574". So in other words the Field Replacement is effectively the newer improved version of what you had originally but is now beyond repair.

Your replacement block will be compatible with the former block, there may be a few detail differences in things like gaskets, seals, etc. You just need to be careful that's all. Also if you need any parts for the block then when ordering refer to 1N-3574 Block Gp. now you've "upgraded" you can't necessarily use the Part Number of the block that's listed in your Parts Manual.

Thank you!! You're always a wealth of information!

kb9tci

Nige, I talked to the parts supplier and told him about the 1N-3574. He said that the block comes up as needing a spacer plate and mine is c'bored. Thoughts? He sent me a copy of SMHS7541 and SEBD9025

Looks like 71J4007. Isn't that missing a digit?

new Block SN 2.jpg

New Block SN.jpg

Last edited:

kb9tci

So, how bad is it, doc?? New block says .020 over, and I am going to have to go .020 under on the crank...

Anyone ever run into this before?

I did not want to see this on the replacement block...

New Block.jpg

Last edited:

kb9tci

Alright, so I have been calling around. I can get bearings .020 over on the shell size, but can only go .010 under on the crank. So the block is usable to someone, but not me with this crank if the crank is forecasted to clean up .020 under. I can have my old block line bored for the same coin for which I bought the new block. The salvage yard will take back the old block, but since they are shutting up shop, it will most likely end up in the dumpster. If I had the extra change in my pocket, I'd keep it around for a rainy day, especially knowing its future if I return it. Anyone want to buy a block and save it from euthanasia??:thumbdown:thumbdown