• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case cx210 engine pulls down

caprock

my son and i recently bought the cx210 at auction 2003 model put a grubber on it -- when you put it in the ground and pull the stick to you it pulls the machine down or stalls the engine if your not easy with it -- changed fuel filter- ck air filter- added another elec. fuel pump to make sure had plenty of fuel to pump engine blows a little black smoke when regaining rpms at a loss need help thanks

xcmark

sound like the turbo has given up and needs replaced or the air filter is plugged solid with something.

cps

Were did you put the feed from the eletric pump to! have you checked for the little strainers in the banjo bolts, the one going in to the injector pump may well have one!

Aiden

willie59

Administrator
If it's a standard CX210, not a 210B, 210C, etc, it should have a Cummins electronic governor engine with an electric lift pump. If you don't get it sorted out, might be a good idea to have a Case tech come out an plug a laptop into it. Some of the CX210 models had a strainer inside the banjo bolt at the inlet fitting to water separator bowl. I don't think they used any other banjo fitting strainers on the fuel system.

Cat_man320

It seems you may be encountering the same problem i have with my 320l cat . as soon as the load comes on the engine it stalls. I suspect you have hydraulic /electric problems as i'm thinking i have . I change all my filters , even installed a new turbo , inspected my speed control sensor but still no fix . on to the pressure relieve valve next. my 320 hydraulics seem to pull the engine down on it knees like the hydraulic pump is being stroked too much. Your problem may be similar.

caprock

case mech came out said it might be injection punp sent to shop tested bad replacrd pump made no difference still looking for problem hard to find help on case machine

willie59

Administrator
Umm...they still holding you to paying for a pump rebuild (that made no difference)? I don't go after injection pumps unless I have good suspicion it's the problem. :mad:

Our CX210 has an inline strainer filter (item #27 below) in the fuel line going from water separator to lift pump, have you checked that?

Case CX210 fuel lines_strainers.png

Cat_man320

Injection pump bad ? typical dealer service , keep throwing parts at it. Your problem is hydraulic or electric . do u have a limp mode switch . Don;t know much about the Case machines but most machines are configured similar . I guessing its a solonoid failed or not getting power . probarbly the pressure release valve which tell how much that the hyd. pump is to be stroked . You may find a wire off or broken somewhere as i did . I even installed a new turbo , new filters etc. i found a spade nose connector off a resistor at the back of my seat where i had dropped a bottle of water . I must have checked the area at least 5 times and never saw it . I bet its something simple aand the original owners couldn't find the trouble , hence they auctioned it off .

caprock

Injection pump bad ? typical dealer service , keep throwing parts at it. Your problem is hydraulic or electric . do u have a limp mode switch . Don;t know much about the Case machines but most machines are configured similar . I guessing its a solonoid failed or not getting power . probarbly the pressure release valve which tell how much that the hyd. pump is to be stroked . You may find a wire off or broken somewhere as i did . I even installed a new turbo , new filters etc. i found a spade nose connector off a resistor at the back of my seat where i had dropped a bottle of water . I must have checked the area at least 5 times and never saw it . I bet its something simple aand the original owners couldn't find the trouble , hence they auctioned it off .

i have checked and or replace everthing from fuel tank to injector pump no inline filter i do have a speed sencor on order will see what that does will let you know

caprock

Does anybody know where the PRV solonoid is or if a Case CX 210 hase one?

Also does anybody know how the hyd pump destroke or bypass under load?

TravellingTec

I work on these things quite a bit. There is a new style pump regulator spool for the hydraulic pump (Kawasaki). You didn't say how many hours are on the machine but generally what happens is the hydraulic pump will not destroke quick enough and the engine will stall out. Will it run properly in "L" or "S" mode? Another possible problem is the turbo boost sensor. If it gives an erronious high reading to the engine computer, the engine computer will derate the engine and it will stall. An easy fix for that problem is to pull the 3 wire connector off the turbo sensor (counter weight side of engine on intake manifold). This will send an electrical problem on the dash but if this is the problem the engine will carry the load. You can also use the dash to get into some diagnosing screens. Let me know how you make out. I'll check back later.

caprock

I work on these things quite a bit. There is a new style pump regulator spool for the hydraulic pump (Kawasaki). You didn't say how many hours are on the machine but generally what happens is the hydraulic pump will not destroke quick enough and the engine will stall out. Will it run properly in "L" or "S" mode? Another possible problem is the turbo boost sensor. If it gives an erronious high reading to the engine computer, the engine computer will derate the engine and it will stall. An easy fix for that problem is to pull the 3 wire connector off the turbo sensor (counter weight side of engine on intake manifold). This will send an electrical problem on the dash but if this is the problem the engine will carry the load. You can also use the dash to get into some diagnosing screens. Let me know how you make out. I'll check back later.

we have a case cx210 2003 with 6500 hrs. we have tried the turbo boost sensor made no difference- engine pulls down in all mode settings= the machine has addon aux hyd not in use thanks for your help

TravellingTec

If the engine is pulling down in "L" mode, it seems unlikely that the problem is with the regulators on the hydraulic pumps. In L mode, there is no milliamps being sent to the hydraulic pumps to keep them up stroked. When the problem is with the regulators on the pump, it is generally most noticeable in H mode when the computer is sending milliamps (450?) to the hydraulic pumps to keep them upstroked. I think my next step would be to put a 20 lb. pressure gauge on the outlet side (bleed port) of the fuel filter. This is an M4 thread but a 1/8 pipe fitting will work but will leak. When you start the machine, taget pressure should be around 12 psi. If anything else was wrong with the injection pump etc. it would be putting up "electrical problem" on monitor and there would be a corresponding code shown on the diagnostic monitor. This will be the only way to tell if you are getting a good supply of fuel.

TravellingTec

Was giving your problelm further thought. I know its pretty hard to explain over the internet but what does the unit sound like when it's bogging down? The reason I ask, there has been an ongoing problem with VP24 relay (relay that controls the electronic fuel system. It's located on frame rail counterweight side of engine below injection pump.) When this acts up, it sounds like the engine is bogging down but is different than a fuel related problem. The best way to describe it sounds like you are turning the key on and off very rapidly. When it is a fuel related problem, the engine slowly dies and may come back but this is almost like an intermittent misfire. I think the relay has to be bought from Case as it is slightly different than a normal relay and 24 volts. Let me know how you make out.

caprock

Thank you for all your help. I have a speed sensor on order with case. it mounts under the injection pump in the same housing that injection pump shaft sticks in. $120 part thought I would try it. I dont know if this is the VP24 relay? when the engine pulls it is like you shut the fuel off and as soon as you release the hyd it revs. back to rpm tis every time not intermitttent

caprock

travelling tec: thanks again for your help i replace the speed sensor mounts under the injection pump -made no difference took your advice installed a pressure guage between fuel filter and injection pump - pumps 12 to 13 psi at idle or warmup checked under load will pull down to 8 psi before stalling--i am at a stand still

Cat_man320

Just wondering if the engine stalls using all the movements ei: boom up , stick out/in , bucket in/out, swing . Is there any black smoke as the engine stalls ? if there is black smoke , i don't think its fuel . I'm still thinking its hydraulic problem , pump not being destroked. does your machine have a hydraulic manifold near the pump with some solinoids on it or are there sols on the pump itself ? if it has one of the above , I'm guessing one of those sols are gone or not getting the signal to activate. you checked all fuses ? especially anything listed as a hydraulic fuse etc? You may need to find out what voltages are on each of the sols and then do it correspond with what the specs say.

caprock

Just wondering if the engine stalls using all the movements ei: boom up , stick out/in , bucket in/out, swing . Is there any black smoke as the engine stalls ? if there is black smoke , i don't think its fuel . I'm still thinking its hydraulic problem , pump not being destroked. does your machine have a hydraulic manifold near the pump with some solinoids on it or are there sols on the pump itself ? if it has one of the above , I'm guessing one of those sols are gone or not getting the signal to activate. you checked all fuses ? especially anything listed as a hydraulic fuse etc? You may need to find out what voltages are on each of the sols and then do it correspond with what the specs say.

engine only stalls under load with alittle black smoke at recovery of rpm-- unit has a bank of 6 solinoids also 1 on pump 1 and 1 on pump 2 i dont know much about about system but i think you maybe right im looking for shop manual -- thanks for your interest