• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 CK rear differential way overfull why?

Billrog

Over the years I've tried a no. of brands of tires some Hoes came with 8 or 10 ply but I have always bought 12 ply.If the rims are properly prepared you'll have no bead leaks. I DO NOT recommend Samson tires one of the cheaper brands that stand up just as good as the good year I have on the machine now are Titans.

1968 Case 580CK

'68, I need rear tires on my CK. What did you go with and do you like them? Did you have to do any work to the wheels? My valve holes are rusty - I know, sounds like a personal problem.

Grady.......Yep, my rear wheels were rusted out around the valve stem hole on each side, and I had to do some "creative" repairs. After patching the rusted valve stem areas with fiberglass and bondo repair gunk, I sanded everything down/wire brushed it and used a oil primer on the rims. I drilled new holes for the new tube valve stems, but learned that you have to be pretty darn precise where you make the new holes, or there will not be room to get the rim of the new valve stem seated on the rim.........I got a call from the tire place, and had to go get the rims and grind off a wee-bit so that the valve would seat and not bind against the curved part of the rim.

Only bad thing is that they convinced me that I did not need tubes in the rear tires, and that they would never leak......but both tires are leaking and I have to keep blocks under the tractor so the tires dont go pancake flat.

580CK Resto Late June 2015 201.jpg

580CK Resto Late June 2015 213.jpg

Here is what the patch work looked like where the valve stem area had rusted out:
580CK Resto Late June 2015 219.jpg

With rustoleum primer on the rims, and you can see the valve stem hole drilled out:
580CK Resto Late June 2015 224.jpg

Here you can see where I had to grind off some metal on the rim surface so the valve stem would have room to seat:
Case Resto Early July 2015 106.jpg

I went with regular tractor tires instead of the original type that had the flat portion of tread to make riding on roads smoother. The manual said that I could have gone with a taller tire (so the backhoe base would be a bit higher off the ground), but I decided to go with the same size......glad I did, as I later discovered that the taller tires would not have fit. These new tires really bite into the ground when I travel over the fields.....a good and bad thing.

Grady

Nice job on those rims. I'm looking at the same rust scenario with at least one of mine. Good idea to relocate the valve holes - now she's good for another 50 years.

1968 Case 580CK

Nice job on those rims. I'm looking at the same rust scenario with at least one of mine. Good idea to relocate the valve holes - now she's good for another 50 years.
Grady......thanks. And if the tire people try to convince you not to buy tubes, I would not listen to them.

onemank6

Hey guys not that i would try this on one of the big tires like these but hey for a old piece of crap riding mower or whatever check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUhZAUUrSkg

Grady i think mine are 14.9 x 24 on the rears and they do alright i got both for $400.00 used/ like new off craigslist ....My rims werent as bad as 68's but i wire wheeled them and painted the crap out of them then tried tubeless and ended up buying tubes for them now all is good .....Like 68 i wish i would of tubed them the first time....

By the way heres some pics of marie digging the trench for the water line for the new shop this was the first real workout since the rebuild and shes doing great .....
DSCN1863.jpg
Here is where the trench was dug from the house to the barn it got dark and i didnt get any pics of this when it was open but here it is covered up.....its about 200ft long
DSCN1860.jpg

Juskatla

Xpack, its nice to see Marie earning her keep around your place. At least you have dirt to dig, as at my island place, we would have had to use a case of 'boom' to get that ditch. What would we do without these old girls to keep us busy? All your work is coming back and paying big dividends in having a reliable backhoe when you want one. Between your Marie and 68Case' Greased Lightening, I have lots of inspiration to get my old girl back together and running. I miss her already....

Last edited:

1968 Case 580CK

Grady.....Yep, Xpac said 14.9 x 24......thats the size I used. Xpac.....great work on the trenching, and you just saved enough $ to pay for the Voodoo Queen in full. That kid pumping foam insulation into the tire.....well, if it works its something to consider down the road. Im wondering if he could have unscrewed the valve stem inner core, and then sprayed the foam in there instead of drilling the hole in the tire......but for what he was using it for, it will probably last for years. Jusk......your restoration will soon be behind you, and you can then start ordering the dynamite to give the old girl some gravel/rocks to pick up.

dad2six

Well we finally got all moved in to the new house. Now I have 3.5 acres of mountain property to work.
Lots of rock retaining walls to build. I got my thumb welded on. And have been moving boulders around. It's very handy! image.jpg

And the kids love the old Case too
image.jpgimage.jpg

Juskatla

D26. Nice, its great to see the family having fun with you and your machine. Enjoy it because they grow up all too fast... The thumb will make moving rock a lot easier. It on my list of things I have to finish on mine. Have fun on your new place. If you have sidehills, take care until you are familiar with how far you can go before trouble.

1968 Case 580CK

Those mountains in the background would be an accident waiting to happen with my "Greased Lightning". Dont think dropping the backhoe and front bucket would be enough braking power. Ha ha.

onemank6

Amen to what 68 says even with the voodoo queens spells and magic i would have to know the brakes are good before operating around them hills .........D26 glad to see you are using her they are great machines to have around for a lot of different stuff......

dad2six

I made a few roads on my hillside and don't have any scary parts to traverse.
Tonight I moved 10 tons of boulders. image.jpgimage.jpg
(I did not drive it with the bucket this high)

dad2six

Hey guys, last night I was having a issue with the backhoe bucket hydraulics not holding pressure. I can pick up a rock but then the bucket "relaxes" or bleeds off some pressure and the rock will fall out of the jaws. It was getting dark so I did not do a ton of investigation but I know I have a hyd leak at the back at the control valve area. I'm assuming that's my issue. But it's hard to tell which fitting is the one for the backhoe bucket. Anyone know which one it is? And is there something to replace if it's not a hose leak?

Juskatla

D26, there are a couple of possibilities for your loss of clamping pressure. The bucket spool in the backhoe valve is one, and a little more complicated that the bucket cylinder packing bypassing. The fix for that is new packing on the cylinder piston. Obvious leaks should be ruled out first. I'm not experienced enough with the hydraulic valve to offer advice but somewhere on the forum, there was a thread that covered doing the o rings without braking down the whole thing, which I don't think you want to do. I did change all the o rings on the hoses and solved some leaks from those areas. A good hydraulics shop can supply them if you find that is where the leak is from.

Others will offer some more useful advice on the valve repair.

dad2six

Thanks Juskatla well you did teach me something.
So there are o rings in the hoses?
And the bucket cylinder is not leaking. Externally anyway. Just around the control valve area

Last edited:

Juskatla

D26, Check the valve and where the hoses are connected, You will find that there will a connector that the hose threads onto and the adapter has an o ring where it threads into the valve body. If you look at the parts breakdown for the valve, it shows the o rings and the connector. When you look at the valve body, you will see the sections have adapters for the hose. O rings go on the adapter to valve body connections. Hoses thread on with JIC connection (I think...) Keep in mind that there O rings are hydraulic type, not hardware store. You will need to see where the leak is coming from and it may not be the hose connection. One of mine leaks from the spool, out the top of the valve. Another project... I did all the hose adapter o rings on mine and solved some minor leaks. The old rings were hard as rock. One adapter was damaged and leaked at the hose side connection.

I only mentioned the cylinder packings because they could bypass internally if worn. By your description of the leak at the valve, its likely worn.

1968 Case 580CK

dADtwo66......Here is a pic when I was installing the backhoe onto the tractor. It seems easy to have one of the hoses get loose and begin to leak fluid around the threads. So you probably will want to squeeze under or behind the seat and see if you can find any loose hose ends.
STA72740.jpg

STA72745.jpg

Billrog

It certainly sounds like an internal cylinder leak the pump will generally compensate for any small line leak. I've had one cylinder leak down very slow when the cap at the bottom of a spool valve was loose.