• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Building new shop need some info

driveshed

Hi everyone, i am building a new shop and I was wondering if you guys had any thing to put in my shop that you guys wish you have done . I do repairs on ag and heavy equipment . The shop is going to be 48' x40' x19' high, 16' high x18' wide main door. we are going to install infloor heat with a outdoor deul fuel furance. if anyone has any info please feel free .
Thanks

mitch504

Heavy anchors in the floor with flush lids over them, for chaining things down to straighten them, or to pull things apart.

An overhead beam for a chain fall.

If you anticipate wanting to close the door with a lowboy or other semi trailer inside, you need to make it a little deeper than 48'.

If you are going to work on a lot of tracked equipment, you might want rails in the floor.

If you want build a prototype to make sure you get it right, you can come to my place and build one, and we'll try it out, then you can go home and build you one. :D

lantraxco

You get any Morooka dumpers/carriers in I'll be happy to help you with parts and diagnosis, best I can offer. :drinkup

overworked

Height is the place to start, you can always stretch the sides later, worst thing is driving something in, unhooking everything in the cab then the crane hits the ceiling before you can swing it free,

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I would install a pit that could be straddled. How many times have we all laid on our backs trying to work under a machine.

td25c

All great ideas:thumbsup .

I might add small office room with living quarters & bathroom .

Would suggest a separate lean too / or enclosed insulated room out side the main shop for the air compressor . Is it just me or are these compressors noisier than they used to be ? I don't mind operating a truck or piece of equipment with a barking Detroit Diesel engine all day . Cant stand a noisy air compressor in the shop for some reason:beatsme

lantraxco

I think the newer compressors turn faster so the noise they make is more annoying, but maybe that's just me. Metal buildings the sound reverberates terribly too, even with the insulation bats they use. Adding a storage/compressor room on one side is pretty cheap since you're using one shop wall, makes great sense to keep stuff out of the way and your compressor away from the dusty shop environment.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
How about an exhaust fan?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Ya'll have hit the spec's I would want - pit, exhaust fan - at least two, compressor in an outbuilding, rails in the floor, at least an 18' eave height

Also I would pipe air throughout with a few hose reels. A waste oil pump that pumps it to an outside tank. An office with bathroom and wash sink in the work area. If the building had at least an 18' eave height, you could stack the small living quarters above the office and save space. You could also build double deck storage in one area of the shop.

still learn'n

Gramps how do you get oil to outside tank and when you want to pump out of outside tank how do you get it out? My father was going to put a little like maybe 5 gallon air tank in his shop for waste oil and then be able to just hook up air and blow it outside to bigger tank had thought I might do the same! Jerry

td25c

Set trusses for a customer few weeks ago on new shop pretty close to the same size as driveshead is building . This shop was 48 x 50 with 3 bays on a block foundation . Building has a partial vaulted ceiling with the use of K - trusses on the front half . The back half of the building has the upstairs room / living quarters engineered in to the trusses . I like it . See allot of newer homes using the same type of trusses to get an added room on top .

Attachments

• dannygarage.jpg
    dannygarage.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,381
  • dannygarage8.jpg
    dannygarage8.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,379

driveshed

Hi Mitch
Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner but all hell broke loose this week ,it s been 18 hrs days but mother nature step in and it raining.
thanks for your ideas I was think of the same thing. We are going to start footing on next Moday. by the way if you live closer I would like to help you build a rail system. I have look at smaller unit for splitting farm tractors. I will keep you posted on the progress .
talk soon

driveshed

Great idea but up here the MOE would have a hay day with that, All my waste oil tanks have to been 1000 litre totes and have to a steel cage around them and have to be in a contanment area

driveshed

nice building , the room up stairs is great idea, My home is 50 ft away from the shop, so living space I don't need, I decide to build here at home because we are open 7 days a week, I know people thing I am crazy but I farm for many years and I know what it feel like to have a crop ready to go in and you break down on Sunday

popsiclepete

Occupation
Mechanical Contractor
Just built a new shop about 1 1/2 years ago. 50'x 60' with 16' 8" ceiling. Wood frame metal siding inside and out.

If your doing in floor heat, you must insulate under the concrete with a minimum of 2" SM. I'm heating it with a natural gas wall hung condensing boiler 100,000btu and it also provides the domestic hot water (40 gal.) through a "Smart Tank" with built in heat exchanger. I've got the domestic hot water temp turned down so as I can use through the pressure washer without taking out the pump.

I put on the side a 12' x 18' office that houses the mechanical room, washroom and desk area it has a 10' ceiling.

Things I've done in the shop:
- Installed a direct drive exhaust fan on roof with speed control and timer. The only down fall is you need to crack open a door while running the fan but in seconds it does a complete air change.
- air line from one side at compressor location to the other side is hard piped with two hose reals soon to be mounted.
- trough drain for one bay that can used as a wash bay as walls are all metal and easily cleaned if needed.
- three over head doors two on the front 50' wall 16' wide and 14' high, and one on the side wall opposite the office 12' wide x 14' high all with automatic openers with remote. Nice feature when your driving your equipment out in the winter you don't need to get out and close/open the door.
- used high output t-4 6 lamp fluorescents (12) total, with the white metal walls and ceilings it's extremely bright.
- installed 2 5'x5' windows on each side wall with the bottom of the windows at 6 1/2 off the floor, let's in all kinds of natural light and people can't see in from the outside as easy. The front of the shop with the two over head doors if got 4 windows installed on the fifth panel from the floor on each door. If you need to just run in and grab something you don't need the lights on.
- two ceiling fans just because.
- one major thing if you have a lot equipment coming in the winter full snow or washing equipment and vehicles in the wash bay, I've installed a HRV and have it connected to a dehumidistat so when the humidity gets to high it exhaust the warm moist air but at the same time pre heats the incoming air. A MUST WITH RADIANT HEAT.
- all shop tables on heavy duty casters that can moved as needed. Bench vise mounted to a shop table so it always close by when you need it.

Eventually I plan on building an A frame hoist on wheels that can moved arround.

Would I do anything different? No, took some friends advice and figured out what size I thought I needed and added 25% extra space. The office on the side is great and recomend that you do the same, always clean and dust/dirt free and quiet area if need for phone calls.

ttazzman

i have built a lot of shops...large and small...key specs they all want

#1 lighting....normally accomplished with lights and translucent wall panels at eave
#2 floor...thick..sloped to drain at door area...flat other place...thickened anchor areas...floor hardner..cure..and coating..
#3 HVAC....floor heat or Radient heat..exhaust fans with make up air...and engine exhaust drops
#4 Overhead crane or Jib crane setup
#5 a oil sink that gravity drains to a oil tank
#6 vehicle pits ..or lifts...depending on opperation
#7 air compressor in seperate area
#8 some form of wash down area ...inside or out...

Those are the general highlights we see required in a shop.......floor tends to be the most critical and hardest to change later..