• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

HDX

This P16 was originally unit # 6-258 from BCFPs Caycuse Division This truck was featured on one of the Pacific truck and Trailer brochures front cover if memory serves me right. Was renumbered 40-130 when Fletcher Challange came on the scene--When they left They left a satellite company called TimberWest behind to do all their creaming of the second growth. With swinging over to small logs the day of the big trucks ended She was bought from TimberWaste at the big Garage sale by Alliford Bay Logging. Went to Sarita Division hauling at a timber sale and had a runaway on Flora Lake line 1300. Was taken back to Messachie Lake and started to be parted out. Her remains are now down in the Sarita boneyard. I will try and get a pic for Hayesno1. Before the sharp eyes clue into the fact that the truck on the brochure has a different front bumper --Well the original bumper is still underneath the upgraded bumper on her. This must have been done at the Caycuse Shop But rest assured that IS 6-258 So there is another piece of Pacific history gone. This truck also had a really wierd suspension under her Walking beam and spring Would ride on the springs when empty and would sit down on the walking beams when loaded.

KW850&T800H

COPPA
Just a quick question: why does the engine hood tilt back down toasted the cab on such an angle, it is intentional? Fir what reason? Or is the frame changed/bent. I don't know, I've seen it on a few trucks, is there a reason?

HDX

Hood is just sitting on top of the rad Not sitting down where it would be normally also the front cab mounts are NFG and yes the frame was a little altered when truck bumped into rock bluff going downhill with a load of logs at a great rate of speed

KW850&T800H

COPPA
Hood is just sitting on top of the rad Not sitting down where it would be normally also the front cab mounts are NFG and yes the frame was a little altered when truck bumped into rock bluff going downhill with a load of logs at a great rate of speed

Ah thanks for the answer, very interesting. Sothats a larger rad than the original?

trakloader

Ouch! Poor old P-16.... :( Like E&A # TL-6, the cab sits crooked, it tipped over many years ago and was never straightened. The drivers say it feels strange, because the mirrors, stakes, etc. all look crooked from the driver's seat.

KW850&T800H

COPPA
Wow, poor old girl looked pretty sad even then. Just pounded to death, by the looks of it. I'll bet she didn't look like that when BCFP ran her. I hate that retarded way they haul the empty trailers now, too. E&A hauls them that way, and half the time the reach is pointing skyward. Quite a few have fallen off on hills. It doesn't feel good following a truck with the trailer bouncing up and down. :mad:

How is the trailer usually mounted, looks normal to me:confused:

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Old BCFP truck with folding reach - now IPL truck unit #H136. I wonder if cable is fixed between frame so winch at top of watertank is doing loading and unloading of trailer? Or is there a 2nd winch between truck frame?

Attachments

• IMG_1960s.jpg
    IMG_1960s.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,943
  • IMG_1957s.jpg
    IMG_1957s.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,932
  • IMG_1958s.jpg
    IMG_1958s.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,943

HDX

No Just a single winch but when the driver winches the trailer up it will actually go over center then he will tag the choker knob into a bell on the gooseneck and let the winch line out a little so the strap is holding the trailer up not the winch line. The driver pictured here is Butch Wright from Cowichan

Born2clearcut

couple random pictures . first one is of BCFP's log barge starting its first load . pic#2 is of Pitt Lake dump . pic# 3 Narrows Inlet

Attachments

• log barge grapplesm.jpg
    log barge grapplesm.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 1,892
  • pitt lake dump.jpg
    pitt lake dump.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 1,872
  • narrow yardersm.jpg
    narrow yardersm.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 1,915

Born2clearcut

couple black& white pics

Attachments

• caycuse dozer boatsm.jpg
    caycuse dozer boatsm.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 1,861
  • tree farmsm.jpg
    tree farmsm.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 1,859
  • tree farm sign sm.jpg
    tree farm sign sm.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 1,865

trakloader

Swiftsure Prince

I found this on Flickr, the old BCFP log barge "Swiftsure Prince" tied up on the Fraser River in 2009. It was taken out of service after an incident in Hecate Straits, it heeled over and almost dumped. Also spilled a bunch of fuel. I couldn't find anything at all on the old "Forest Prince", anyone have any info?

Attachments

• 3587783807_f19e73c0a4_b1.jpg
    3587783807_f19e73c0a4_b1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,805

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
I found this on Flickr, the old BCFP log barge "Swiftsure Prince" tied up on the Fraser River in 2009. It was taken out of service after an incident in Hecate Straits, it heeled over and almost dumped. Also spilled a bunch of fuel. I couldn't find anything at all on the old "Forest Prince", anyone have any info?

It's still there

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
Once again I'm blown away by all the info and pics some of you guys have posted.
I've mentioned elsewhere that I worked for BCFP at Renfrew for eight years, starting in 1976 on their Forestry Crew.
During Christmas shutdown old Joe Weekes, the Warehouseman there, had a heart attack so when we re-opened in '77 they needed one. I saw the notice posted first day back so talked to them and explained my background and was soon running the warehouse and doing the buying. Joe came back to work in June so I went afternoon shift, which was great for a surfer like I was at the time. I'd go home to Jordan River if there was a good swell running, surf all morning then head back in to Renfrew to work. Joe retired not long after and I took over day shift then.
So long ago I can barely remember half the names of guys I worked with for eight years. Can't recall the numbers of the trucks there either, as I've encountered many of them over the years so they all blur together for me.
Thanks again for sharing all your pics and knowledge with us.
I really appreciate it as it does bring back some fond memories.

Take care.

skadill

not the biggest truck on the coast,but the colors have history.Took this this morning

Attachments

• DSCN0607.jpg
    DSCN0607.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 1,624
  • DSCN0605.jpg
    DSCN0605.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 1,633
  • DSCN0604.jpg
    DSCN0604.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 1,645