• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

74 case 350 crawler loader resortation

hvguy

used some of this stuff... I chose it because of its density... its not quite a putty, but not liquid like the normal 2 part JB weld... it only has a strength of 800psi. One thing I noticed after I got back to the shop is it says organic.... if I've learned anything; the more warnings with skull and crossbones equals a better product. Plus, this isn't a 2 part system... its just air dries. I'm very skeptical to say the least.

Fingers crossed.

IMAG1067.jpgIMAG1068.jpg

hvguy

Things aren't looking good, its puffed up and doesn't look like its sticking. I put a small low power heater on it for now, hoping I don't have to grind it off tomorrow.

Hobbytime

I considered that, ive got a de-scaler that might have worked, but I figured with all the nickle, and the brittle cast, I didnt want to risk knocking a hole in it.

well you dont pound the crap out of the weld, just enough to dimple the weld...lol....I think you should clean that grey crap off and use jb weld and not have to worry down the line...anything good for the environment is garbage and doesnt work..LOL...

gtermini

I use a regulator on the air hammer or needle gun to peen welds on more delicate parts. Turn the regulator until the thing just starts hammering, maybe 30psi.

Greyson

hvguy

Well, pressure tested at 10psi blew holes in the mix... I should have known. I made a small video as a review of the product. Currently uploading.

sad cat.gif

Welder Dave

Your weld looks OK. Why not grind the crack just a little and re-weld it and not let it get too hot? The thing with peening is that it is supposed to be done when the weld is hot. If you're using a cold welding technique, peening might not be a good idea.

hvguy

I figured with peening it would create more surface area for it to grab onto, and I did re-weld the area that had cracked limiting the heat and it cracked in other places.

hvguy

good news... I believe the new patch held, I put a 750W heater on the area to keep it warm; and keep the dew off of it, 9 hours later its rock hard.

In other news, I was at a friends shop and saw this big 4" inlet magnaflow muffler sitting in the mud and traded a case of beer for it; thinking its better than the straight pipe I have now. While searching around for other pipe, I came across some leftover 4.5" stainless material I used for making a hood stack on my volvo that will be perfect.
IMAG1078.jpg

hvguy

Its been 24 hours, pressure tested it and no leaks are visible. So I pulled the air off and let it sit for an hour, pulled the cap off to add coolant and it blew my hand against the frame! I couldn't be any happier. Poured a gallon of rotella 100% and added water. Drove it across the field with no leaks.

Now to move on to degreasing it.

hvguy

Somewhat. There's a tiny spot where it's leaking coolant, gonna clean it up, sand and touch up that area.

bronco71

there is a glass based sealer for blocks and head gaskets that works great, can't think of the name but I used it on my D7 to seal a head gasket leak a couple years ago and it hasn't leaked since. Friends of mine with heavy equipment swear by it, got it at auto parts store. Be sure to follow instructions, have to get all the antifreeze out for it to work, then you can put it back in after allowed time. Be sure to get enough for the larger system....

hvguy

I'll look into it. I had heard about that awhile back working on a skid loader. Gonna try the jb weld patch, all else fails, I'll glass it.

hvguy

Little update.
The block patch is garbage... It's soft when warm and is full of holes, I'm going to try another epoxy. I finished the exhaust, took the machine to the car wash to get rid of all the grease and dirt from sitting outside for its entire life, and I've started on the electrical. More pics to come.

Another note: when unloading. Be sure to have extra life insurance just in case.... I got the tracks just over center where it tips back and it's slid down the ramps crooked and scared the hell out of me.... If anyone is counting, that's twice now, once when I bought it and once when I went to wash it.

IMAG1121.jpg

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
It looks like its early evening or morning in the pic.. good move..
The car wash's around me, would have thrown you out in a NY minute.. Lol
One summer my friends and I went thru w/ a boat after a week of crabbing & shrimping.. it did not go over very well..
Same thing happened when I took my moto-x bike in for a bath.. I didn't even get the wand in my hand before the attendant threw me out..
That's when I bought a pressure washer.. wasn't worth the hassle and the trespass warning.. :eek:
It sux about the patch job.. theres GOTTA BE something that'll work.??
Even PAYING a welder will be more cost effective than a new block..

hvguy

It looks like its early evening or morning in the pic.. good move..
The car wash's around me, would have thrown you out in a NY minute.. Lol
One summer my friends and I went thru w/ a boat after a week of crabbing & shrimping.. it did not go over very well..
Same thing happened when I took my moto-x bike in for a bath.. I didn't even get the wand in my hand before the attendant threw me out..
That's when I bought a pressure washer.. wasn't worth the hassle and the trespass warning.. :eek:
It sux about the patch job.. theres GOTTA BE something that'll work.??
Even PAYING a welder will be more cost effective than a new block..

Yeah, it was evening when I rolled up, plus it was thanksgiving day. Plus it was a self service, so the owner was likely nowhere to be found. The only thing it really said was no heavy mud; and I washed all that off when I got it.

Im going to give this Loctite metal epoxy a try. I watched a video of a guy testing metal epoxy and it had the best results.