• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

20,000 lb. behind a pickup safe?

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
The new 2011 GM will have a higher load rating then Ford. I know a guy pulling JD 550s with 2500 GM, Lots of guys around here pull equipment that size with 1 tons we do even, but I much rather use the Lowboy.

If it is not legal then they are crazy.

Dominion 410

20,000 lbs.

IMO 20,000lbs. behind a pick-up would be a white knuckle experience if you ever had to brake suddenly or make any sort of evasive manuever.I've towed 20,000 lbs. behind a Ford 800 and a tag-a-long float(rated at twenty tons) with air brakes, that's the only way to tow that sort of weight.

Dominion:canada

hughjazz

I had a '97 dodge 3500 that was registered for 16'000 kg,

roughly 35'000 lb.

I regularly pulled at maximum weight. (21'000) payload.

I don't see the big deal.

with operating trailer brakes it was fine.

To say a pickup can't stop a 35'000 load is true.

BUT the truck AND trailer are doing the stopping.

A semi truck can't stop 80'000 either.

Consider this.
1.My truck weighed roughly 1/4 of the total gvwr.

2.A semi truck weighs roughly 1/4 of 80'000 lbs.
The proportions are the same.
If the trailer can support and stop it's own load I don't see the problem.

In Alberta it is extremely common to see semi trucks registered at 141'000 lbs. They are called super b's
Truck +triaxle trailer+double axle trailer.

Tiny

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.20,000 behind a pickup is pushing it in my view. Have I done it, yes.Would I want one of my kids to do it ...NO!!

Attachments

• Overloaded.jpg
    Overloaded.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 4,798
  • tipover3.jpg
    tipover3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,845

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.20,000 behind a pickup is pushing it in my view. Have I done it, yes.Would I want one of my kids to do it ...NO!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::bash:bash

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Well if you want top see very brave are very crazy people just come here.I see dry weather log haulers hauling with tongue and goose neck trailers way more than they should.DOT is out they stay hid makes you wonder what wrecking yard they bought their equipment from.Some might have a few lights that work but brakes well your guess is as good as mine.And the bob tails are just as bad.I have seen them cross the scales at the mill with 70,000 or more.

hughjazz

I can post pics of all kind of accidents,

Does this mean tractor trailers are dangerous too? :eek:

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 471

Tiny

I can post pics of all kind of accidents,

Does this mean tractor trailers are dangerous too? :eek:

As a matter of fact they are ,Untrained,uneducated people at the wheel of anything will get people killed.At the risk of wasting more time on a dead subject and on you.

20,000 lbs behind a pickup is dangerous Period.I have been driving trailered loads for 30+ years and sooner or later that gambling is going to catch up with with you.

You can disagree all you want,Go ahead.Keep baiting that trap.

hughjazz

As a matter of fact they are ,Untrained,uneducated people at the wheel of anything will get people killed.At the risk of wasting more time on a dead subject and on you.

We agree on this. The driver is what kills. Where I live, it's not uncommon to see 20k behind a 1 ton. I've never seen one in an accident. Just because you feel that it's unsafe does not make it true. If feel it's unsafe don't do it.
I have done it for over 100'000 miles in a past life, and I feel it's safe.

DOT locally agree with me too.. Period.

What's with the condecending attitude?

Last edited by a moderator:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Opinions are like...you know - everyone has one. Let's keep this thread on the technical discussion of pulling 20K lbs behind a pickup.

On second thought this thread may have run it's course...:cool2

Turbo21835

Opinions are like...you know - everyone has one. Let's keep this thread on the technical discussion of pulling 20K lbs behind a pickup.

On second thought this thread may have run it's course...:cool2

Dont mind me, just yanking tinys chain, and he knows it. We all know us operators would be up a creek without a paddle if it wernt for our truck drivers. One thing is for sure, we wouldnt have to relocate stakes if we did away with them :drinkup

Bottom line, 20,000lbs behind a pick up is not safe. My current work truck is a Ford f450, and in Mi, depending on the trailer i pull with it, im legal to 42,000lbs. Would I do it, HELL NO. Do I have some project mangers that think I can and should, Yes sir!

td25c

2011 Silverado HD

Okay....now that the small talk is out of the way:D Let's take a good look at the Silverado HD.Make sure to click on the 70 second tour on Chevy's web site.This is not a "pickup truck" in the sense.This is a medium duty,or ton and a half truck with a pickup cab & bed on it.This reminds me of the old Chevy C-40 truck.It's not a big truck but it's not a small truck.Some of our older well seasoned members( and I hate to mention names like Atco,OCR,Tiny,digger242j) might remember the C- 40 Chevy mid range truck.It was pretty rare to see a C-40,most of them had a Uhaul box mounted on them.Now days with all this mini type equipment the Silverado HD might just fit the bill for alot of contractors.I would have liked it better if Chevy offered it with a silver 6V-92 Detriot engine :D

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
HEE HEE never mentioned me so I must have lose my place in the old duffers club....

Over here we are allowed 1.5 times design gross vehicle weight to a max of 3.5 ton,on a car class licence provided the trailer is braked on all axles,unbraked gross weight of 750kg. I be thinking that 9ton is a bit much behind a pick up........

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
And yes, I do remember the C40 25c.

I remember the C40, C50 and C60. The first "big" truck I learned to drive was a '68 C60 with a 366 gasser (reman added after purchase) and 5sp. It was an old City truck my Father bought to pull the bobcat with. Hell of an experience working summers and vacations from school. There were holes in the floor board, so it sorta self cleaned itself..:D No radio, no dashboard to speak of, there was a spring in the seat on the passenger side that you had to make sure you had a couple of layers of cardboard stuffed in the vinyl to keep from poking you in the ass and if you shut if off hot, you had to get underneath and hold a wet rag on the starter to get it to start. Good times!:rolleyes::D

HEE HEE never mentioned me so I must have lose my place in the old duffers club

No Stock, you are the founder of the old folks club around here....:D

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
HEE HEE never mentioned me so I must have lose my place in the old duffers club...

I guess 25c figured the list of antiques here would be so long it would take up his whole post, so he abbriviated it. :tong

Glad you's kind enough to join in with us though. :D

and if you shut if off hot, you had to get underneath and hold a wet rag on the starter to get it to start. Good times!:rolleyes::D

And hope it didn't backfire while you was under there. :lmao

hughjazz

I learned on an old '75 louisville 534 ci gasser (I think)
with juice brakes and a 5+4.

After shutting it off when it finally decided to stop dieseling Half the time it would backfire. It was LOUD like a 12 gauge.

You want to talk about sketchy stopping.:eek: