• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

20,000 lb. behind a pickup safe?

Cretebaby

Im not sure of anything that you can tow 10000lbs with and not be over 26,000lb GVWR

My F350 @ 9900 GVWR + 14k GVWR trailer= 23,900 CGVWR is one good example.

or pretty much any 3/4 or 1 ton with a 12k trailer.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I have a 84 7000 GMC flatbed (gasser 366) which weights 10,000 unladen. I use to pull a Lull at 23,500 lb. on a trailer that weighed 6800 lb unladen. So I would load the truck to near 28,000 GVWR, then the Lull @ 23,500 & then the trailer at near 7,000. So I had 58,500 going down the road with 6 speed 2 speed. Lucky it's flat here!

One day I look at the trailer tires and I see the capacity is not near the 12 ton when I added them up. I thought it was rated for 12 ton carrying capacity. :pointheadTurns out the trailer is called 12 ton but that was the GVWR :eek: I never knew:confused: Glad when I found this out I stopped towing the Lulls and paid to have them moved. All the years I had the trailer (1980) it was registered for 32,000 lbs.:beatsme What a dope and the cops and DOT never said a word. They are a lot stricter now than they were in the early 90's when I quit hauling the Lull.

Aliate

its funny u bring that up cause ive done that a few times , like the tri axle i drove had a gvw of 76650 , which was 24 ton of asphalt , then i would haul the trailer to the job with the paver and 5 ton roller on it , or fully loaded with gravel towing the cat 315 (well over 100,000gvw) :eek:..........anyway basically what your asking is what like a 10ton or 20 ton tag behind a single axle ? you'd need a class A cause your GCWR would be over the 26001 #s plus most trailers that heavy have air brakes which is a whole other can of worms in this CDL thing

I was going to ask another question but I saw tuney answered it.

Last edited:

Aliate

No Aliate,you can not load the dump truck and pull a backhoe at the same time.You would most likely have at least 2 strikes against you if you get the privlige of getting on those scales.Your GVW of the truck might be over your 33K GVW because of the 10-15% tongue weight bearing down on the back of the truck plus your box load and the fact that you will be way over the GCWR on the door placard.I think from memory my Chevy 7500 33K GVW has a GCWR of app.43K lbs. Years ago when I was full of **** and vinegar,I did do this a few times and I would never want to do it again because it was plain stupid.

Thanks for answering my question, Ill take a look at the door placard. I have a GMC 7500 as well heh, good truck.

I still don't see how you figure that.

When the combination is over 26k GVWR, if the trailer is over 10k GVWR, then you need a Class A. But not solely because the trailer is over 10k GVWR.

Yeah I saw I was corrected in another post

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
I still don't see how you figure that.

When the combination is over 26k GVWR, if the trailer is over 10k GVWR, then you need a Class A. But not solely because the trailer is over 10k GVWR.

In commi-fornia you need a class A CDL if the trailer is rated for 10k or more (loaded or not) OR the combo is over 26k.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Well,I was a little off from that 43K lb. GCWR--the placard says 60K lbs.I was quite surprised to say the least.I'd do that much weight only if I had an air brake trailer ,which I don't.

Cretebaby

In commi-fornia you need a class A CDL if the trailer is rated for 10k or more (loaded or not) OR the combo is over 26k.

Yup, I am aware of that and as far as I know Kalifornia is the only state that swings that way.

PSDF350

This is a great thread, for the first time I get it:Banghead I always thought any trailer over 10,001# needed a class A cdl. But after reading this I again looked at my cdl book and it's funny I can pull a 16,000# trailer behind my 1 ton srw 9,900gvw but would only be able able to pull a 8,500# gvw trailer behind my 550 dump with a 17,500# gvw (actually reg at 19k because thats all that showed in towns book. I could go to state dmv to change but not worth the hassle for just a few bucks), anyway this just seems wrong. Not whats being said it's the law that seems wrong.

Cretebaby

This is a great thread, for the first time I get it:Banghead I always thought any trailer over 10,001# needed a class A cdl. But after reading this I again looked at my cdl book and it's funny I can pull a 16,000# trailer behind my 1 ton srw 9,900gvw but would only be able able to pull a 8,500# gvw trailer behind my 550 dump with a 17,500# gvw (actually reg at 19k because thats all that showed in towns book. I could go to state dmv to change but not worth the hassle for just a few bucks), anyway this just seems wrong. Not whats being said it's the law that seems wrong.

Well, technically you could pull up to a 10k trailer with the F550 without a CDL.

PSDF350

Well, technically you could pull up to a 10k trailer with the F550 without a CDL.

How you figuire that? It says anything over 10,001# with a combined over 26,001#. 17,500 plus 10,000 = 27,500#. Not arguing just trying to understand. But either way thats still not much.:beatsme

Cretebaby

How you figuire that? It says anything over 10,001# with a combined over 26,001#. 17,500 plus 10,000 = 27,500#. Not arguing just trying to understand. But either way thats still not much.:beatsme

Class A is for over 26k and 10k simultaneously so even though your example is over 26k it is not over the 10k trailer threshold.

Basically a trailer under 10k+ doesn't even come into the equation.

Last edited:

PSDF350

Class A is for over 26k and 10k simultaneously so even though your example is over 26k it is not over the 10k trailer threshold.

Right :Banghead Thanks!!

Side note why is it it seems all the good goosenecks I see on ebay and graigslist seem to be 10 ton or more?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The maximum legal, under CDL requirement weight you could pull would be 36K lbs - 26K GVW truck and 10K GVW trailer. What doesn't make sense is the 550 with a 17.5K GVW pulling a 10.5K trailer (total weight 28K GCWR) would require a Class A CDL, non-air brake endorsement.

PSDF350

The maximum legal, under CDL requirement weight you could pull would be 36K lbs - 26K GVW truck and 10K GVW trailer. What doesn't make sense is the 550 with a 17.5K GVW pulling a 10.5K trailer (total weight 28K GCWR) would require a Class A CDL, non-air brake endorsement.

No what doesn't make sense is that with my 1 ton I can hual a 16k trailer and my 550 I can only hual a 10k trailer. It seems they have no problem with over 10k as long as your hualing with a smaller truck.:pointhead

Cretebaby

What is an "air brake endorsement"?:confused::beatsme

Diggedirt

Occupation
Owner operator
Crete
I think he means air brake restriction. I have that type of license. I am legal to drive trucks/trailers that do not have air brakes on them. The crazy part was the fact that the combination vehicle tests include air brakes - there is no separate test for the restricted license. So my written and skills tests for combo included air brake info even though my truck/trailer did not have them. That was a little awkward during the walk-around when I had to answer questions about how I would check a system that was not on the vehicle....:beatsme Just pretend I guess.

JDOFMEMI

Here you can't get an air brake endorsement if you don't show up at the test with an air brake equipped vehicle.

Too many states have too many different laws. You could go on and on with everyone being both right and wrong, depending on what state you are talking about.

As far as the 20K trailer, I have no problem as long as it is a properly equipped pickup. I know several people who regularly pull 20K+ with Dodge dually trucks. They handle the load well. As long as you keep the maintenance up on the brakes, especially the trailer brakes, they stop well. Myself, I rarely use the brakes, so they work good when I need them.

Most of pulling heavy trailers comes down to using your head and not getting in a hurry.

stuvecorp

Basically a trailer under 10k+ doesn't even come into the equation.

:beatsme Here all this time I thought anything over that 26,000 was CDL. To throw a wrench at this, my trailer is rated to carry 10,000 pounds but I don't think the trailer weight is figured in to that.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
:beatsme Here all this time I thought anything over that 26,000 was CDL. To throw a wrench at this, my trailer is rated to carry 10,000 pounds but I don't think the trailer weight is figured in to that.

How is it registered? The GVWR thanks

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Every State has different DOT law and every DOT Officer will tell you his version of that law.